PDA

View Full Version : How to add color to my BOTANICAL CREATIONS?

Tangievans
08-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi, my name is Tangie and I am new to the boards. I consider myself a Botanical Designer. I create flowers that are genetically impossible. I've been trying to add color to them for years, I have tried painting and prisma color pencils, but it doesn't feel right. I try to take inpiration from natural flowers but it doesn't work either. I think they are beautiful in pencil on paper, but I want it to be more- painting, sculture, stained glass, embridery, something. Can anyone tell me what you think and any Ideas you may have for me.

http://www.directimagehost.com/is.php?i=55282&img=scan.jpg"

Here is one of them I will post more.

Tangievans
08-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I guess my image isn't working, I'll try back later

Ophelia
08-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi Tangie,

Welcome to WetCanvas! Though I don't have any suggestions about adding color to your botanical art, I was able to get to the image, so I'll upload it here for you:

Tangie's Botanical Art:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/12379-is.jpg

You might want to post your question in the medium specific forums such as watercolors or oils, or even the still life forum or the multi-media forum.

All the best,

Susan

ValorieCox
08-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Welcome Tangie, :) I'm going to move this thread from the Creativity forum over to Illustration, where the good folks there might be able to help you a bit more.

Valorie

designbyjen
08-22-2004, 07:21 PM
hi & welcome!
you mentioning stained glass immediately makes me think of coloring it in on a computer...but b4 going there...what is your goal for your art? knowing the path you wanna take will help the trip to get there.
back to computer colorizing...do you have any design programs that you could color this w/ after scanning it into a computer? a lot of endless possiblities going that route.
ever tried something like watercolor pencils so you can have your drawing & then add water & pull a painting outta it?
colored pencils?
these methods i mentioned speak to me right away...but your mentioning sculpture...this could be neat as a 'relief' of some sort...w/ no color at all! creating this from carving a 1.5" rectangle of plastilene clay...making a mould w/ plaster, & then filling that mould w/ any sort of interesting substance from more plaster, to resin, to bronze... could be a great expression for you.
what about a cut paper relief sculpture made w/ white paper & taking a picture w/ dramatic lighting?
color may never 'feel right' for you...the imagined is hard to colorize...so leave the 'no color' option in your sights. you don't have to 'go downstream' w/ everybody else regarding using color; it may serve more of a 'block' than an inspiration :)
~~~jen

TedDawson
08-22-2004, 10:35 PM
One suggestion might be to make them with the method of artificial flowers:

Books on making artificial flowers (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1570544972/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/002-5578855-4712030?v=glance&s=books)

Might also check the Still Life and Watercolor forums. Lots of flower people there.

AFM159
08-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Looks like you're covered, from jen and Ted, on the mixed media type thing.

Here's what I might suggest:

One - take a look at your local book store for some late 1800's botanical illustrations - good reference there.

Two - for practice sake - get you some light weight watercolor paper - 90lb or less - go to Kinkos - they usually have a copier called a "Super Zoomer" for making banners - this particular copier can handle light weight watercolor paper (which is far too heavy for most copiers) - so cut to size - make copies - and experiment with all kinds of color!

ligerwolve
08-24-2004, 07:23 AM
:cat: Beautiful design :clap: When I looked at it it made me think of pastels on black paper, with bright colours, but thats just me. MY mum uses watercolour to paint flowers but the possibilities are limitless. :wave:

prairie painter
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
There's a really fantastic tutorial over in the Pen&Ink forum on adding watercolor tints to an ink drawing.

Axl
08-25-2004, 09:42 PM
I donno bout you guys but I look at this and automatically think about those brightly coloured gel pens! I think they could be rather fun to do in ink, tho for a more realistic look definately the watercolour tints would be my pic.

corfublue
02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi, I am brand spanking new too,
I would suggest trying to use a large piece of linnen or loose canvase, stapel it to a wall and try and use large brushes to create the same image. Something interesting happens when you are stuck and do an image large enough that it requires your periphial vision (SP!?)