PDA

View Full Version : Slide-style pendant bails?

tesoroglass
08-21-2004, 09:57 AM
I've looked all over for this style of bail to attach to my pendants with no luck - I thought for sure Rio Grande would have them but I just got my catalog and they don't.

Unless anyone knows of a source, I am starting to think that people are making their own. Rio Grande does have flat SS stock, I was thinking of using concave-jaw pliers to roll the end into kind of a "p" shape with the tail attaching to the back of the pendant. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Curt M.

BBsBaubles
08-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi Curt,
I can't say I've seen bails like that either. But the idea you have to make your own sounds like a great one! I also like the look of that bail, clean and simple.

Hopefully another member may be able to point you in the right direction.

ebeader
08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
I would think it would be easiest to use 20 ga. sterling sheet, use hardware shears to cut strips (this way you can do varied widths per size of each pendant) then just curl the top with round nosed pliers. Finish to a high shine on an electric wheel powered muslin buff with rouge compound ( even a mini buff on a dremel would do). You might file the bottom "points" a bit before buffing . You can practice on some brass or copper from a hardware store before you graduate to sterling .. or heck even brass and copper polish up very nicely and could be used for the final project. I just checked on ebay and there is even someone selling one by six inch strips of 20 ga sterling in their ebay store ... for 15.95 plus 1.95 shipping . If you made 1/2 inch wide cuts that would yield 12 for about 18 dollars. If you wanted to bring down the cost, you would need to order larger amounts from the standard places like Rio Grande... sometimes its good to start with a few to see how it goes before going whole hog! *smile* Let us know how you do!

beclectic
08-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I've seen barrie use something similar on her jewelry. She is teaching a class right now but should be back next week. She has always been a great resource for help on things like this.

When I see her back on the boards I'll try to remember to bump this thread.

tesoroglass
08-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll order some silver and play around with it...the good news is there's no soldering involved.

Curt M.

giapet
08-22-2004, 12:09 AM
They're probably from here (http://www.austinbluemoon.com/ssilver.html)

Lori-O
08-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Karen, you're wonderful! I've been searching for decent bails for weeks.

Paula D
08-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Yep,
Austin BLue Moon. That's where I got mine. I think they make them there but they would be easy to make for anyone that has time.....Paula

tesoroglass
08-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks Karen those are exactly what I was looking for...I still think I may try to make them (cost) they look pretty simple.

Curt M.