PDA

View Full Version : For Dog Lovers

AlaskaBarb
08-21-2004, 05:30 AM
For years, I've wanted a bronze dog from Roberta Laidman, a dog named, "Veronica," but couldn't afford it.

There's just something about the way she depicts them:

Roberta Laidman Productions (http://laidmanproductions.com/HTM/dogs_resin/dog_for_sale.html)

Anyway, I asked her if I could try some for the cartoon challenge, and she said okay, despite what I'd probably do to them.

Thanks, Roberta -- you're a good sport!

If anyone is wondering, the biscuit coloring was done by fuming silver onto regular ivory.

The dachshund is mine -- Sophie. (They all look like this in the morning.)

Barb

JayneM
08-21-2004, 10:14 AM
I love the dogs!!! I have 2 collies, and have not got brave enough to try to make them in glass. Maybe the cartoon way is it. It made me laugh just to look at those silly pups.

dogmaw
08-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Those are adoreable! With that kind of inspiration, I guess I will have to try the challenge too.

Jo

UrbanSky
08-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Very nice poochies.. hmm I wonder if i can make a pair of fat lazy and hairy german shepherds lol

Becky Mason
08-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Oh Barb,

These are tooooo cute :D :D . I especially love how you've hand mixed several of the colors to make the paws, etc. look more natural. Great job. Love them, especially the Jack Russell Terrier!!!

Becky

dogsrlove
08-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Those are adorable! How did you keep from chuckling while making them? Gee, I have 3 dogs- the biggest is a Bull Mastiff- wonder how much glass it would take to make him? Great to see someone making doggies!

Thanks,
Vanessa

CosmicGW
08-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I know my avitar is my cat, but I LOVE dogs and those beads are awesome!!!!

Becky

Toni Lutman
08-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Barb,

Those are just way too cute! I think you're on to something. Please keep showing!

Toni

Elena
08-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Delightful!!
Question?? I have a black lab mix...has anyone made a bead? I would love a picture, as working with only black glass brings me ?????sss And white and brown for eyes!!
Which angle would make the best bead ?
have a great day!
Elena‹

Shawn T.
08-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Barb,
These doggies are the cutiest ever. I went to the web site, Beautiful work Roberta does, seems she makes them out of Resin. It was wonderful that she was happy to let you share them in glass. You did a fantastic job.
Thank you for posting, as you have given me the most wonderful idea. No, not the dogs you are making, or even anything form Roberta's web site. But still something I had never thought of doing.

Shawn

llglassdesigns
08-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Barb,

I love your doggies! They have so much character. If you do more, please post them. They put a smile on my face. :D Thanks!

Deb

AlaskaBarb
08-21-2004, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=Shawn T.]Barb,
These doggies are the cutiest ever. I went to the web site, Beautiful work Roberta does, seems she makes them out of Resin. It was wonderful that she was happy to let you share them in glass. You did a fantastic job.
------

Thanks! Roberta also does fabulous bronze sculptures, and ceramic, too. They were about 2600.00, ten years ago. Her drawings and watercolors of animals are beautiful, and sometimes really funny. To see those, you have to scroll back, using the menu on the left. Her body of work is really amazing

Maybe I can trade her 250 dog beads for one sculpture........

AlaskaBarb
08-21-2004, 11:57 PM
By the way, thanks for all your wonderful comments!

I'll try to post some more funny things. My husband says I should try some Alaskan animals. Maybe I'll try a walrus or something tonight. They're pretty funny, even when you don't make them into a cartoon!

Hugs,
Barb :wave:

Lori Peterson
08-24-2004, 02:20 PM
OH BARB! How could I have missed these???? They are to die for! The doxie is, I repeat, IS the Puppy in the morning. She wiggles up to the top of the bed, puts her head on the pillow, lays on her back and waits for the kisses from Mark and I.
Your beads are SOOOOOO good! THey are cute and fun and so full of personality! I took a look at Roberta's site and you really nailed them! I really love the pink toes. The pink toes are adorable! Well done, Barb!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

AlaskaBarb
08-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Thank you everybody -- and thank you, Lori! :p :p

Sophie's black and tan sister, Isabel, wants equal time -- but she's a little, ahem, how do we say, "full-figured." (I didn't realize it until I overheard the houskeepers whispering, "oooh, muy gordita," when they were petting her.)

So, that's her nickname until she loses weight. She's a little P.O.'d about it.

Hugs,
Barb

Lori Peterson
08-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh yes, Barb, The Puppy struggles with the gordita factor too. She loves cat food! I can't seem to get her to stop nibbling on the cat food (oh, and the beef jerky....I don't know HOW she gets that. Really, I don't. :rolleyes: :wink2: )

MaureenKennedy
08-26-2004, 03:25 AM
By golly, Barb, I think you have it! You have put your own twist on her dog style and made them your own. Too cute (are you selling any, like the duschaund?)

Sue in Maine
08-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Barb,

2 words (3 if you count "and")-- precious and priceless!

Sue

AlaskaBarb
08-27-2004, 01:14 AM
Gosh, you guys made me smile! :p

Maureen -- LOL! No, I don't sell them -- those were the first dogs I made. (Luckily, I have several dachshunds posing at all times, so I'll try to do some more "portraits.")

Maybe we can have an animal bead exchange sometime. I found a couple pics of some enormously fat cats, which would probably make funny beads.

Pax,
Barb