PDA

View Full Version : bead embroidery

Emjay
08-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I would like to try bead embroidery. Does anyone do this? Any good "how to" books, tutorials or links? I l LOVE this piece!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/11303-moongate.jpg

sassybird
08-20-2004, 11:22 PM
I used to make costumes for strippes back in the 70's. I have done a lot of beading and sequin work. I am self taught out of necessity. I make up my own stitches and learn others by looking at other peoples work. I am getting ready to do the back, shoulder's and wrists of a light weight jacket. If you have done embroidery work then you will pick up on beading pretty fast. I never pick up more than 4 beads at a time on my needle and work them as I would any other stitch.

McDuck
08-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Jean, that is lovely! I cant wait to see what you create. and Charissa, I hope you share with us later!

mary

TheBlueBetween
08-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Jean, I love that too! Quilting Arts magazine sometimes has GREAT eye candy like this - though I don't remember any how-to's. http://www.quiltingarts.com/

You could scan through here for their book recomendations....
http://www.quiltingarts.com/shop/books1.html

:) Pam

rubyfan2
08-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Jean,
Two authors might interest you...Nancy Eha and Robin Atkin. Both have books and both have websites. Beaded Embroidery is their specialty.

www.beadcreative.com - Nancy Eha's website I believe

I can't locate Robin Atkin's website right now...I know she lives on an island in the WA...

Robin's book is available at Amazon.
Nancy's book is self published and on her website.

Both tend to teach at Quilt and Crazy Quilt conferences and both are scheduled for the Quilt Festival in Houston in November. (Check Quilts.com for that information.)

There are others as well that might interest you...Judith Baker Montano does significant beadwork mixed with ribbon and patchwork. She too is a published author...www.judithbakermontano.com

(Can you tell you hit on a subject I too have explored? First time I have posted!)

For basic beading on fabric they all tend to go thru 2 beads, add 3, go down come back up two behind...add 3...you get the picture? Reinforce everything! Each has their preference on thread...silamide, nimo...based on their experiences. Eha in particular beads EVERYTHING...Montano mixes medias.

Have fun!!!

Kathy S.

dogmaw
08-21-2004, 09:06 AM
I do beadwork, and Quilting Arts Magazine is the best resource I have found. Always basic instructions along with more advanced projects, and plenty of eye candy. (no affiliation) Welcome to a new adiction. :)

Jo

Emjay
08-21-2004, 10:39 AM
You guys are the BEST. Thanks so much! I do have Robin Atkins' book, "One Bead at a Time" (and what a great way to look at this art!). I will go check out these links right now (whoops, there goes finishing that necklace, which is what I was GOING to do this morning!). It will be a couple of weeks before I can try anything, but I'll post it when I get something done.

rubyfan2
08-21-2004, 02:11 PM
You want to check out Robin's new book also...Beaded Embellishment. And both that one and Nancy's are listed on Amazon so you can do some on-line preview. (I don't buy from Amazon but I sure use that preview pane before I buy books...usually at overstock.com...great prices on craft books...bead books, etc...but doesn't always have them in stock.)

Also, the Quilting Arts magazine is fantastic as eveyone says... :clap:

Kathy

Emjay
08-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks again, everyone. And WELCOME, Rubyfan2! :wave: I have been looking at old issues of Belle Armoire (WHAT a beautiful magazine!), and there is a good amount of bead embroidery in those--and instructions for a lot of things as well. Funny what you overlook when it's not your "thing" at that time........

rubyfan2
08-31-2004, 01:17 PM
Jean,
I don't know how addicted you are in the fabric world...if you are an addict like myself you might receive some catalogs from quilt stores like Keepsake Quilting? Anyway, there is a new book...Beading Basics by Mary Stori out on beading on fabric.
I was in a LQS (Q=Quilt) looking for a breast cancer fabric I saw on-line (well it was a good excuse to go shopping!...I need to make a hat for a friend from it and since that store didn't have it guess I will be going to two more quilt stores today!)....and I checked out the book...seemed pretty nice also.

Kathy

Cyndi L
08-31-2004, 02:39 PM
I've done a few non-wearable pieces as well as beaded neckpieces, and I've got one specific suggestion for you: consider using buckram as a beading base. It's a natural woven fiber with lots of sizing, found in the interfacing section of places like Joann's. It's major use is for millinery and belts. It doesn't unravel, it takes dyes and paints beautifully, it holds itself stiffly enough while you work so you don't need a hoop. You can cover it completely, or leave areas showing (perhaps dyed). And it is incredibly cheap!! There are some brand-name products put out for beading that are very very dear, but I feel that buckram is just as good if not better than all of them. It will not suit for every single project, of course, but for framed items or jewelry, I just don't think you can beat it.

Here are some samples:

http://www.why-not-art.com/dragonfly-lg.jpg
http://www.mazeltovjewelry.com/genesis-lg.jpg

SuzyQ
09-05-2004, 07:54 AM
This is great info!!! I am in the midst of knitting a sweater with beads strung on the yarn ahead of time. Talk about adding hours to your project! :) Anyway, as I knit I keep thinking how I would prefer to embroider them on next time. Now I have an idea how to do it. Thanks!!!