PDA

View Full Version : WIP Portrait, Third ever try at pastels

Mystfy
08-20-2004, 09:43 PM
I have done this for the Kids challenge in Drawing and wanted to post it in here for C&C. This is my third ever attempt at using pastels, I am enjoying working with them very much. I am only new to art and have a lot to learn and Im finding this site holds a wealth of knowledge, and the people are great. The picture I am doing is me as a child. (see photo attatched)

Any help would be appreciated.

Char

Paula Ford
08-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, since I'm a landscape artist, I don't really know how to do portraits and can't offer any help. So, all I can say is WHAT A LITTLE SWEETY!! You have done very well :clap: :clap: :clap:

WELCOME!!

Paula

K Taylor-Green
08-20-2004, 10:54 PM
You have caught the likeness very well, and I love the sheen on her hair. Good job!

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Lovely job on this little one!!! :clap: Keep at it you are doing a great job. :D

Mystfy
08-20-2004, 11:18 PM
I finished up the jacket today. I think I am going to leave it as it is. If I play with it anymore, I have a tendancy to overwork in acrylics, so feel I may also do the same with this and spoil it.

So this is the finished product, unless anyone has any ideas on what to tweak lol.

C&C welcome :wink2:

Char

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Char, you have done a lovely job here. My only suggestion would be that her face looks a little "flat". That comes with even light in flash photography in your reference pic. I would only suggest giving her face some more roundness with some slight differentiation in the pigment/light.

Really good job though, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Colleen :D:D :clap:

khourianya
08-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Awww...what a little sweetheart. You have done a wonderful job on this - it's gorgeous!

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 02:51 AM
I believe there is an demo article by L Diane Johnson that shows how she paints pastel portraits from photos ....in it she addresses the even lighting issue. I think I saw a link for it in the portrait forum...perhaps it's still there.

You have a great start..and for that "not knowing when to stop thing"...I am also guilty

Dark_Shades
08-21-2004, 05:38 AM
you've done a great job....... agree with Chook about adding colour to make the face take more form......

Great Father Christmas too