PDA

View Full Version : WIP - my second pastel painting ever

khourianya
08-20-2004, 08:07 PM
No name for this one yet...just loved the photo when I took it and decided to attempt it in pastel. I've posted the reference photo as well. Any c&c will be most appreciated...

9 X 12 on blue Mi-Tientes, assorted pastels

tampster1
08-20-2004, 08:30 PM
HEy Cori.. you are coming along nicely.. One thing why not try some darks on the underside of the waves just to ground them and give some movement.
Tammy :wave:

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Cori, for a second pastel you should be happy! I like your delicate colors and the sand is beautiful. That reflection is very convincing, which is pretty hard to do!

I almost hate to mention this, and I'm hoping that the picture has gotten skewed in the taking, but reflections of tall, straight objects remain straight. If the object is crooked, even slightly, the reflection follows it, like a mirror image. You can't see the whole reflection in the photo, but that doesn't matter. Your painting must show a reflection of whatever you painted. It will be essentially the same length, too, unless slightly distorted by ripples.

Try this, turn your painting sideways and see if the reflection is accurate. Is it straight? If not you have two options--either change it or mat it so the reflection IS straight! (I do the latter a lot, since I have the world's crookedest eye.)

Good job on this one, and I hope we get to see more of what you do. Have fun!

Deborah

khourianya
08-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the tip, Tammy! Glad you could stop by. I thinkthat little touch of dark made a world of difference!

And you're right, Deborah, the reflection is crooked. I did some playing in Photoshop with different ways I could mat it and I think it looks slightly better. I don't know what the final mat colour would be, but there's always time to play...

tampster1
08-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Great job .. that looks so much better.. :) now put this pick in grey scale via photoshop (upside down) and see if anything pops out at you.
Tammy

khourianya
08-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Ok, so I deepended some of the shadows around the "stick" (? no clue what this thing is even called). and added a bit more definition to the water....I am pretty happy with it, but if anyone sees anything in this pic that needs some work - let me know :)

tampster1
08-21-2004, 12:10 PM
WOOO HOOO now you are on track.. Lookin good.. :clap: :D Hey have I told you you are turning into an addict .. LAMO :wink2:

khourianya
08-21-2004, 12:12 PM
addict? MOI????? Never! I'm just finding that a change in medium has me inspired to paint again :p I am just about to start a new one of some horse barns that I took last weekend at the wedding....keep posted :D