PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli Study

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
After seeing Crumby's inspiring painting of the apples in the plastic bag , you can imagine my intrigue when I spotted last night's dinner ingredients on the counter, with a package of broccoli featured prominently. As I eyed it, squinting and viewing it at various angles, I saw those wonderful reflective lights glinting on the stretched plastic. Then I heard my partner's voice abruptly saying "If joor thinin of painting dot, joo better to do now, cause ees goin be cook-ed (rhyms with crooked) in 5 minutes!" So I grabbed the camera, and shot some good reference pics.

My subject made a delicious dinner, by the way. Afterwards, being satiated and content, I painted this. It was origionally going to be just a sketch for the weekly thread, but due to its complexity or my hesitancy to jump right in, the one hour time limit was not observed. As always, your comments and suggestions are very much welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/29946-brocplastic.jpg

9"x 12" Unison. Sennelier on gray LaCarte

bluepellinore
08-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Wow! This is great! I could tell right away what it was before reading your entry, Preston. Great job on the detail. You can really tell it's wrapped in cellophane. :clap: :clap:

SweetBabyJ
08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Ta-da!!

I LOVE the rubberband!!

K Taylor-Green
08-20-2004, 09:41 PM
LOL, Preston. You gotta love this, as a painting or as dinner! Great job on the plastic.

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Ohhh, I love the purples you snuck in there with the broccoli greens. Yum! The shadow on the wall is exquisite too. Wow--good job.

Maybe we need to make shrink wrap the subject of a project! Wouldn't it be fun if we all tried something? I bet Julie would wow us just like you have.

Great job, Preston! And how nice that somebody is cooking for ya, maybe with a Latin twist...? :D Love what I took as a Ricky Ricardo impression! LOOOO-cy! Am I right?

I've always thought bubble wrap was neat looking too...

Deborah

Paula Ford
08-20-2004, 10:41 PM
LOL...love it Preston!!

Paula

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Mary....thanks for the compliments...good to see you in here...I see you in the wde but seldom here...we all would like to see your work more often, so don't be a stranger!!

SBJ..only you would love the rubber band...lol...and it was painted intuitively with just a few quick strokes...I had to do some studying and re-dos on some of the other areas

Kate.....food is for 2 things.....painting and eating.....hopefully one or both will give pleasure :)

Dee....yep, that's a Peruvian Spanish accent.....we do eat some pretty fantastic meals around here..... :) The stove is some folks' easel!

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Paula..we cross posted again!!!! thanks for looking :)

Paula Ford
08-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Paula..we cross posted again!!!! thanks for looking :)

LOL, we really do always do that, don't we!!!

LOL (you're welcome) :D

Dark_Shades
08-21-2004, 05:48 AM
good one..... love it

Kathryn Wilson
08-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Kewl, Preston - love those purples and greens - good job on the plastic wrap too!

Dyin
08-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Preston...this is great, the purple gives that trapped moisture inside effect.

(I keep thinking how something like this would be a scary painting for kids though :p if you wanted to really give them nighmares you could set some brussel sprouts to the right there :evil:)

binkie
08-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Your painting is so yummy!! What time did you say dinner is? I'll bring the cheese sauce.

I love it!! :clap:

gwen

ctmobitz
08-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Preston...

Your painting is really FANTASTIC.....so real and great work on the plastic and super rubber band too!

Guess I may have to give plastic a whirl myself one of these days....looks quite challenging!!!

Regards,

Claude

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 05:14 PM
(I keep thinking how something like this would be a scary painting for kids though :p if you wanted to really give them nighmares you could set some brussel sprouts to the right there :evil:)

LOL @ Sue...Re; ..."Every Childs Nightmare"...I like that :D

Kat... the plastic wrap was more difficult for me than expected...It made me appreciate Crumbys painting of apples hanging in a plastic bag all the more. It was a good learning exercise.

Dawn...this is one I'm thinking about placing in the library exhibit.

Gwen....we eat between 6-7...and bring the real thing,...none of that powdered mix in an envelope :D

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Clauade...I missed you...I was called away to the phone while writting that reply so we cross posted :( .

As I said in the above reply it really was more challenging than expected, but I think well worth the effort. I like Dee's idea of it being a project of the month......Let us see your results if you decide to try it!

Pinecone Conniff
08-21-2004, 05:27 PM
Fun stuff Preston!!...Love it!! :)
Annette

Khadres
08-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Cool! Boy, you're really cookin' lately---pun intended there. You know....I bet a package of mushrooms like that would be fun....hmmmm

dexonsbabe
08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
very nice Preston love the colours :clap:

crumbedbrains
08-22-2004, 12:43 AM
he he Preston . .well done . .fun to do eh?
Crumby :)

Dark_Shades
08-22-2004, 04:47 AM
Dawn...this is one I'm thinking about placing in the library exhibit.

Excellent Preston........ It will look fantastic framed....... still hope you show us in one thread what you will be exhibiting...... :wink2:

...... you will have Rave reviews am sure

E-J
08-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Nice one, Preston - that cellophane is really convincing. I happen to have some cellophane-wrapped broccoli on the table right in front of me, and now you've made me feel guilty for not seeing its potential as art! I would be unsure how to go about painting it ... did you simply paint the broccoli and put in highlights for the cellophane afterwards? Do tell.

prestonsega
08-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Annette /Lori ..thanks for stopping and commenting..your oppinion is very much respected and appreciated! :)

Sooz..there was a package of plastic wrapped sliced mushrooms on the counter too, but the green took my eye the most. I think the whole unsliced mushrooms would be more interesting...They would make a good sketch entry in the weekly thread ( hint :evil: )

Crumby...many thanks to you and your inspiring work. It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....hope you interpreted it like that. Your apples just blew me away!

Dawn..the exhibit begins in less that 24 hours and I still don't know what I'm placing in it..there is no limit, but I think I'll submit 5 or less...may take several to the library and get feedback from the staff and other artists. The one painting that I know I am going enter isn't finished or framed yet! :eek:

EJ.....I approached the reflective subject like Julie ( the Crystal Pistol ) has tried to teach me to do glass..and it worked...(it is rumored that she may be submitting a glass demo...I hope it's true.).Actually it was probably easier than glass because it is not made of rigid, material with even, equal patterning as say,.... a cut crystal vase. Thanks for commenting...how's that lilly series coming along this week?? As for seeing the potentional art...I have crumby to thank for that.