PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Given

Mr. Nauss
08-20-2004, 03:34 PM
I thought I'd start a thread under illustrations to get some feedback. I started browsing through some threads today and there is a lot of talent here. I look forward to sharing more of my work in the future. In the meanwhile I uploaded a couple creatures from the world I've been developing called 'Lunasea the Mental Moon' including one of Given the Goblin.

Good luck to all of you following a creative dream and peace out.

AFM159
08-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Sweet. I like the characters alot. This world of which you speak - for a RPG?

Thanks for sharing and glad to have you!

Mr. Nauss
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Thanks. I'm keeping the system I've developed for the world hush hush for now but guarantee it isn't like any creature based RPG on the market.

I broke the 80 new species goal I set for myself a couple years back recently and am now letting myself out of the box for a short break to gather feed-back. I'm surprised all you surface dwellers still speak-da-english :)

Peace.

Mr. Nauss
08-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah, I remembered that I explain the fundamental format of the game on my site so the cats out of the bag before I put it in. No worries I've got about a 5 year head start on my competition.

I initially started designing the creatures for the purpose of one day having them developed into a 3rd person action adventure game for the ps2 so it's just one of those things that came together... except now I'm shooting for the ps3 console instead.

So if anyone out there knows the guys who made Jak & Daxter or Ratchet & Clank or Prince of Persia could you give them a call for me. I'd really appreciate it. I love those games.

Peace.

TedDawson
08-21-2004, 08:30 PM
These look really cool. So how does this work? How many characters do you design for something like this? Are you gonna market it?

Mr. Nauss
08-21-2004, 08:59 PM
I've designed over 80 original characters and have turned 52 into a Version 1.0 deck of story / playing cards so when kids (or anyone for that matter) play games like War, Go-Fish or Crazy 8's they can make up stories based on the way they lay and play. I'm currently in the process of finding capital and I already have a manufacturer on line so yes, as soon as I get the first 10, 000 printed I'm going to market them. The first deck will be followed by Version 2.0 and then after a while I'll include both deck's with a board game complete with custom playing pieces. I'm also working on having a site developed dedicated to them that will offer contests so players can submit new game rules that I intend to publish as well. This site will make it easy for the public, retailers and wholesalers to reorder them. Hopefully by that point I'll have a video game deal cause I'd love to see this world come alive for all to see and I've made a new species that I'm holding back til 2.0 that's gonna be the next Smurfs on TV.

Can you tell I love talking about these guys? I could go on for hours.

TedDawson
08-22-2004, 12:07 AM
I've always envied you guys who can do this... create these intricate worlds and characters. One of my favorite comics (and only one I've read in ten years, probably) is "Bone," and it's like that. Watching "Lords of the Rings" hurts my head and luckily my wife read the books and can give me the play-by-play. I couldn't even decide on what furniture was in the living room in my comic strip. For that matter, I find "Go Fish" to be very complicated. Don't even show me a "Crazy 8" deck or I'll have an anuerism.

Still, I'll be interested in seeing your whole set! Maybe my kids will be able to explain it to me. :)

Mr. Nauss
08-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I'll put you on as a maybe in the pre-ordering category.

Maybe War is more up your alley.

Give one of your kids half the deck and you keep the other half. Each of you hold the stack in your non-writting hand face down. Each of you lay the card on top of your stacks at the same time in the area between you. The one with the higher number takes both cards. It gets a little complicated when its a tie, but stick with me, lay 3 cards face down spelling W.A.R out loud as you do so. When you are both done then flip another card face up. The highest one takes them all. The first person to have all the cards wins.

My addition to the game. Ask your kid why they think the creature with the 8 on his head should beat the creature with a 6 on his head. Let the good times roll and learn how imaginative your kids can be!

Next lesson: Black Jack

:)

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 06:54 AM
Wonderful character development! They are so believable I think I could even come up with stories to go with the characters - I'm a huge fan of Tolkein and wonder at the brain power it takes to make up a whole world, down to the smallest details.

Thanks for the lesson on War - I played it as a child, but forgotten the rules. And Prince of Persia was a wonderful game!

Wishing you lots of luck with this new world of yours!

Mr. Nauss
08-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Kat, much appreciated.

If you like Prince of Persia then you're right up my alley. If you're ever looking for something to do and are in a writting mood feel free to make up some senarios based on my characters. Maybe the new point of view will spark a new direction or line of thought for me. You never know, you might just see your name in the credits of my video game or movie.

I have always intended to offer contests like this on my site once I get it up and running. That's why I want to distribute the cards for a year or two before pitching to the game designers. I'd love this to be a project created by the people for the people. A great way to inspire the writers imagination and give them credit in popular project.

Personally I don't consider my strong suit writting. I can build a world and fill it with creatures with special abilities and can write what they do and how they do it, but I just can't envision what they say. My "quoting" always sounds cheesy to me.

The following attachment is of one of the heros that plays a big part in Lunasea. Max Chaos, based on the chaos theory, you know, when a butterfly flaps its wings on one side of the world causes a hurricane on the other side. A catalyst if you will. :)

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Hoowwweee Mr. Nauss - you mean make up a new language like Tolkein did?? That would be so cool if I could do that, but I have a hard time writing responses to posts on Wet Canvas! :eek: I probably could do character development easier than come up with speech patterns.

BUT, I think it's a great idea and would be a fun challenge for someone gifted that way.

Anyone wanna try??

AFM159
08-23-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm afraid I'm not up on all the RPG's myself. The last ones I played with any earnest were "ZORK III" & "Bards Tale" (That dates me a bit. :rolleyes: ) back in college.

That's cool your shootin' for PS3! Good luck! Shoot fer the sky! - I say!

Sounds like you have it in the bag though, with being almost ready for market.