PDA

View Full Version : blockx genuine vermilion

colinbarclay
10-15-2001, 01:03 AM
I dunno if this is allowed , but i have a completely full tube of this stuff, and am wondering if anyone wants it . I am way too messy a painter to be fooling with mercury ... I smoke like a chimney , never clean my fingers, use turpentine , clean my contact lenses with saliva, and spurn crosswalks .
Id be willing to trade for a decent drawing .
Thanks ,
colin

Verdaccio
10-15-2001, 10:34 AM
Oh, I'd love it, but I don't know if I have anything to trade you for it. You say a drawing - what sort of drawing are you interested in? What's a tube like that worth anyway?

paintfool
10-15-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by colinbarclay
I ... I smoke like a chimney , never clean my fingers, use turpentine , clean my contact lenses with saliva, and spurn crosswalks .

LOL! I know the feeling! I am terrified of my cobalt drier. :D (i'm pretty sure that anything Michael has to offer would be well worth the trade ;) )
Cheryl
PS Jerryys' Artarama lists the following: Blockx oil - 200 ML pyrollo Vermilion for $39.99 per tube.

sarkana
10-15-2001, 01:44 PM
i am offering to trade a

50ml tube of my own sarkana brand azo burnt orange
(a modern organic pigment and pretty nontoxic as far as i know)

for your blockx pyrrole vermilion

azo burnt orange is a similar intense orange, a little darker and less pink-red than vermilion and very transparent (vermilion should be opaque).

its not the same thing but i think a good trade?

Degas5
10-15-2001, 04:28 PM
Hi Colin and Cheryl,
Colin, it's my guess that your vermillion is probably worth about $125 today if you can get it. Methinks it's discontinued and replaced by the pyrol which is a very pretty color by the color chart. For me, I never used vermillion. Miss K gave me a discontinued tube of genuine WN watercolor a long time ago, but I haven't used it yet. I had planned on using it for flesh tones; very beautiful color.

EastDevil
10-15-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Degas5
Miss K gave me a discontinued tube of genuine WN watercolor a long time ago, but I haven't used it yet. I had planned on using it for flesh tones; very beautiful color.

Who is Miss K?

colinbarclay
10-16-2001, 12:23 AM
Hi ,
This is a genuine vermilion - mercury sulfate . Nobody makes it anymore to my knowledge, for obvious reasons . Mercury is not anything to fool with, so this offer is for super neat freak painters only !
It hasa really good flesh tone , makes a nice cad. ish pink but a little higher key than a cad would . Very Ingres kind of color .

I dunno what kind of drawing i would like tilll I see it ... a decent life drawing would be great !
Colin

Verdaccio
10-16-2001, 12:15 PM
You don't want one of my life drawings...shudder...

However, how about this idea....

If you visit this site:

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/artist.html

And find a head from any old master painting that you like - they are all there - Leonardo, Rubens, Carvaggio, etc.

I will do a 10x10 inch charcoal value study of the head for you.

I am booked solid through October with commissions, but will have plenty of time to do it in November.

ldallen
10-16-2001, 06:43 PM
WOW! That sounds like a great deal!! I'm trying to figure out what I can trade you for a drawing!! :D

impressionist2
10-16-2001, 08:50 PM
Michael, Thank you so much for posting the Artist Index website. I have been thinking lately that I would have to take out almost every art history book from my library to get pictures of the old Masters portraits! What a find. Renee http://www.LongIslandFineArt.com

sarkana
10-17-2001, 09:21 AM
genuine vermilion is pure mercury sulfide. a rather hazardous chemical, maybe the most hazardous in the artists palette. i use it all the time.

a few companies are grinding genuine vermilion. its very expensive and hard to get. but to my mind, none of the pyrroles or cadmium vermilion combos can quite match its unique properties. at sarkana, we grind it in small batches about once per year.

Verdaccio
10-17-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ldallen
WOW! That sounds like a great deal!! I'm trying to figure out what I can trade you for a drawing!! :D

:DHow about 125 little green pictures of George Washington? :D

Renee: Isn't that site the best find on the net? :)

shawn gibson
10-17-2001, 12:06 PM
Sarkana...send me your vermilion by the truckload and I'll gladly grind it all to your specs for a small bit of the stuff myself:)

Heck, I'll grind it with my emerand green if you want for a nice warm gray:)

Sorry, all I have these days is funnies:)

shawn:)