PDA

View Full Version : severe portrait

bnoonan
08-20-2004, 01:38 PM
I have to say - this was a most challenging model to paint in class. She was wearing much less below this leather bustier and I'm told by my classmates that I captured her attitude. Guess that thing is uncomfortable after many hours.

Just curious... what do you think? It's a bit different than my typical subject matter I have to say and not one of my stronger pieces by any stretch of the imagination - but I figured I had to share it.

Barb Thanks for looking

14 x 17.5 Wallis paper

Dark_Shades
08-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Well I dunno Barb...... wouldnt sell yourself short on this one...... it is a strong portrait......not only in the colour choices..... which set it perfectly..... perhaps I wouldnt want it hanging on my wall, lol, but non the less its a great portrait.......

can imagine her chewing gum and speaking like Mae West :wink2:

.... is that a gun .......

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I have to say that from the standpoint of subject, attitude and overall colors this one isn't my favorite of yours. It's excellently painted, and the strong colors and facial expression are very intense, but I don't care for what's being expressed here. Someone else will probably love it. It simply doesn't match my feelings--yet you can see that I'm talking far more about emotions here, so it is a powerful painting...

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
08-20-2004, 02:27 PM
A lot of what I wish to say is most likely inappropriate for this forum. It's extremely powerful, Barb, mostly due to the red/black combo. It's also very well executed, but that doesn't make it any less uncomfortable to look at.

As a portrait, it appears you did very well capturing subject, expression, costume, et al, but man! I'da been tempted to ask if she had somethng a bit more flattering to wear. On the third hand, the very hard edges you used in this are certainly reflective of the subject's costumed personality.

Khadres
08-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Wow! This shows the model's hard-as-nails attitude and personality almost TOO well! Beautifully done, but I can't imagine who'd buy it except perhaps the model herself. You've definitely shown your ability to deal with anything/anyone! Great work but I'd definitely not care to meet this gal in a dark alley!

binkie
08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I think it's great! I love the colors you use. To me, she looks like someone who's seen the harder side of life and has no more illusions of what life could be.

gwen

Paula Ford
08-20-2004, 10:52 PM
OOOOOWWWEEEE...we're really talkin attitude here!!

This is beautifully done Barb...very striking!

Paula

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 10:56 PM
LOL.. you totally captured her mood!! She was there because she had to be not cause she wanted to be...LOL.. GREAT job Barb!!! Got ya ticket yet??? ;) :evil: :clap:

Dyin
08-21-2004, 12:00 AM
well, made sure I had a concentrated frown on my face when I opened this 'severe' piece :rolleyes: and it quickly changed to an omygoshgetthistothe closestdragqueenclubyoucanfind look :p You'll have an instant buyer...This is THE LOOK...every one goes for this look and here she IS!!! The red background is perfect...the skintone is just luminous and the only thing that is a touch off is the bustier, the center needs to go in a touch to define it...thought it was a fan at first..sorry! I'd hang this on my wall...just for the power of it. It's awesome Barb and sorry to disagree but I think it IS one of your stronger pieces.

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 02:13 AM
well, made sure I had a concentrated frown on my face when I opened this 'severe' piece :rolleyes: and it quickly changed to an omygoshgetthistothe closestdragqueenclubyoucanfind look :p You'll have an instant buyer...This is THE LOOK...every one goes for this look and here she IS!!! The red background is perfect...the skintone is just luminous and the only thing that is a touch off is the bustier, the center needs to go in a touch to define it...thought it was a fan at first..sorry! I'd hang this on my wall...just for the power of it. It's awesome Barb and sorry to disagree but I think it IS one of your stronger pieces.

Sue..you beat me to it..you said everything I was thinking sans the bustier comment!!! :mad:

I can spin a heat warming, sad ,yet funny story of this model's life cause Barb has captured it all in his/her face. Time takes a toll on all of us, but is even less kind to some . I see a life lived fully with few regrets of the past but uncertainty for the future. The stage is set for the last performance and the curtain's about to go up.

Hmmm....I do need to redecorate the guest bedroom....

Barb..This is not a pretty picture...it is art!!! Super! (ya'll get some great models!) I'm not even going to address your technique or style..you already know my opinion!

Mumma4x
08-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Barb, this is very well done! Does this model happen to be a crossdresser? She (he?) sure looks like one with the thick neck & overdone makeup. It even looks like a wig she's wearing, but who knows, eh? LOL Great job, though. I love it!

Katherine J
08-21-2004, 11:38 PM
You've done a terrific job capturing this model! As I was scrolling through, I cut her/him off just above the bustier - it looks terrific like that, I think. As usual, it's a masterful portrait, despite the somewhat in-your-face (literally!) model.

Katherine

crumbedbrains
08-22-2004, 12:36 AM
EEEk!! she just plain scares me!!
Not my fave of yours but well excuted as far as attitude is concerned. Must close this window now . . . he he
Cheers
Crumby :)

E-J
08-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Holy hell Barb ... LOL! I agree with most of what's been said - this IS such a powerful portrait. She looks as if she has been used and abused by life and has come out of it all as hard as nails. To me that bustier really does read as leather. Interesting piece!