PDA

View Full Version : Artspan Website

beclectic
08-20-2004, 11:19 AM
I just went to the Artspan ad here on WC and it looks promising as a way to set up a site to sell my jewelry. They are offering an incentive to WCers so it looks like this is a good time to join if it checks out.

Has anyone here had experience with Artspan? What is the traffic to your site like, is it fairly good?

beclectic
08-20-2004, 02:46 PM
OK, this thread is getting traffic but from the lack of posts I assume that no one here has any experience with the site. There is only one jeweler on the site that I could find.

I like the look of this site. Here is a link to the site: Artspan (http://www.artspan.com/)

Let me know what you think about the way the site looks and any experience with sites which are essentially online galleries.

Hiway
08-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Let me know what you think about the way the site looks and any experience with sites which are essentially online galleries.

Hi Barbara,

I spent a little time earlier today looking at this site (found it through their Industry Partner forum) after reading your post this morning.

I've been doing a bit of research for my own needs; I have no personal experience and would dearly love it if some folks (who do!) would reply to you and give a comparison.

Financially speaking, when it comes to what you get for your money, this looks like the best I've seen so far. However, it is the practical experience I'd like to know far more about!

Hope you get some answers --- I'll be watching!

Best from Claudia

MadameKali
08-21-2004, 01:40 AM
At 1.36 in the morning.. the one thing that I do notice is that it takes FOREVER for the pictures to load. I can't imagine traffic being that incredibly high right now. As interesting as some of the sites look, I would not wait this long to view pics--definite downfall. Other sites on my PC are loading more quickly--or were, haha.

llis
11-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Y'all be sure to check out ArtSpan again. They have just finished an upgrade and it's really looking good!

TheBlueBetween
11-13-2004, 08:11 PM
there doesn't seem to be a section for jewelry specifically... there is some metal work and glass work, but wearable arts are hard to find if they are there at all... if I were shopping for jewelry, I'm not sure that would be a place I would look for it. A nice painting on the otherhand... seems perfect!

Kerensamere
11-14-2004, 02:08 AM
I have DSL, I just checked out the site and it did take a little while to get all the pics to open up. I found it a little difficult to find the two jewelry artists (atleast I was only able to find 2). I didn't check out the prices.

I think the benefits of such a site would be the ease of finding a collection of artists in one site and the possible ease of creating a website if you are not comfortable designing your own and do not know someone who can do it for you (or that you can afford).

Down side is people have to know to look for you at Artspan. Frankly I'd never heard of it before this thread. If no one knows where to look for you they will never find you. This is the biggest problem with the web in general. You can have the most beautiful website but if people don't know to go to it you're wasting your money.

The artist that does the silver bracelets had nice prices, great photos and lovely work. The artist that does the beaded necklaces had very high prices in my opinion (maybe I'm not charging enough for my work?) and her photos were not that good, sometimes you couldn't see many of the components in the pieces at all. When I did a search for jewelry several of the silver smiths pieces came up but only one came up for the beaded necklace artist. This makes no sense to me whatsover. The silversmith is a member of the PA State Guild of Craftsmen, so am I. I'll see if I can contact her and get any thoughts and feedback from her on the site. I'll keep you posted.

-Jen

beclectic
11-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Thanks for all the thoughtful posts and the research. Jen, feedback from someone who uses the site would be great if you get it.

Kerensamere
11-19-2004, 02:37 AM
OK, here's the response I got from Clare Marshall (does the silver bracelets):

Hi Jennifer,

I get some orders but I have not posted new designs since I started four years ago. I have new slides to submit but I haven't gotten together with the web master. You are actually supposed to be able to arrange the site from home but I haven't figured that out yet. It is a very resonable cost and very worth your while to join.It more then pays for itself. Good luck,

Clare Marshall