PDA

View Full Version : Newbie's first show and tell !

ejralph
08-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Hello there,

Official newbie here coming out of lurkdom. Hi, I am Emma and live in the UK. I have recently started lampworking and have found the posts on this forum so useful I thought it about time I introduced myself and said thank you to you all !

I am usually a polymer bead artist (and I see some names I know from that field - you know who you are! ) but the lure of being able to make a TRANSPARENT bead prooved too great, so here I am - playing with glass and what fun it is.

Anyway - I have made all sorts of hideous monsters of beads thus far - here though is probably the first set that I am quite pleased with. All comments appreciated. And lets just hope the photo shows up!

Emma

LadyArowana
08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Emma, welcome, great show and tell for a first post. Fiona

Ellen Altamore
08-20-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi, Emma :wave: Always nice to see a new face. I'd say you're doing just fine with those transparents. Great colors - nice shapes.
BTW, stop by the Grove Tavern on Morden Rd. in So.Wimbledon and say hello to the manager - my son, Mike. Tell him his mom misses him. :crying:

mperaza
08-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Hello Emma,

Welcome! Great beads! Now that you are out of lurkdom, we'll look forward to seeing more of your lovely beads in the daily show & tell's!!

Marilyn

Norma623
08-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Welcome - from a former "lurker" ! Your beads look wonderful - nice and consistant! We look forward to seeing more!

I'm a Scottish imigrant myself - always great to see more Brits in here!!

Keep those pix coming!

ejralph
08-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Hi guys, and thanks all for the kind welcome.

Ellen, I live about half an hour by car from where your son works! I was born in Wimbledon and spent the first 14 years of my life there. Small world! And Norma, I will say Hi to the highlands for you if I ever get up there for a holiday!

Well, the picture is very cruddy, so gonna have to work out a better set up to take stuff with my camera - I just quickly scanned these ones today. But you never know - there may be more on view soon

Mind you - right now, I seem to have one step forward and about 50 steps back - is this normal? Is it normal to be able to do something ok-ish one day and then not at all the next?

Emma

froggee501
08-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Emma! Your beads look perfectly gorgeous to me!

Emma

ejralph
08-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks Emma!

Hey - cool name :clap:

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Emma! I know you! Well, I know "of" you from my polymer days. :)

Great to see you here and great first show and tell. You're in for it now! Are you still doing polymer? I haven't seen what you've done lately but I remember some really beautiful work.

Welcome!

ejralph
08-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi Lori :wave:

Yup, I am still doing polymer - just finished writing my second book on it in fact!

But because I have been doing so much clay lately, I think that is why I am so enjoying playing with the glass for a change - I have spent so much time over the last few months focused on the clay that I really felt I needed a break and a chance to learn something different.

Bead-wise I am still selling the polymer clay beads too on and off over at Justbeads - although more off than on lately as the market is dire right now. They did a featured artist thingy on me back in February, so you could check the archives there for some photos of my more recent clay work. I would direct you to a website IF I had one (nother thing of the Round Tuit list!)

So are you still doing polymer ever or have you switched over to glass full time now? I can see this glass thing becoming very addictive!

I have really enjoyed looking at your glass beads when I come across them on here - remembering your name from the polyclay days, it is so nice to see what you are doing in a different medium - and stunning beads they are too.

I see I am gonna have a LOT to aspire to with this forum!

Emma

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
08-20-2004, 05:54 PM
I haven't done polymer for about 2 years now. I became the president of our local guild and shortly thereafter started lampworking. I didn't have enough time or space for both so I sold all of my polymer supplies and tools and never looked back.

I've found glass to be 'easier'. The only finishing there is, is cleaning the holes. No more sanding!!! I think polymer is more labor intensive and my wrists were giving out on me too. Soooo....here I am.

Sometimes I miss the feel of the clay in my hands but I've been more successful selling with glass too.

I hope to see you around here more....I'll have to go check out your new work and I can't wait to see more of your lampwork!

GinaJ
08-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Welcome! Your beads look terrific!

dogmaw
08-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Emma,

Welcome aboard! Don't worry about the 1 step forward and 50 back syndrome, we all feel like that sometimes. I just started making lentils with one of Corina's presses, and man are they ugly! I think I took 100 steps back with that one. But keep at it, because your beads are really cool!

Jo

ejralph
08-21-2004, 04:12 AM
Lori, I can sure relate to the wrist thing! Although the clays are formulated much softer now, so it is less and less of a problem. The labour needed to make polyclay beads look nice is too a big problem. Although right now- it would probably take me a week to make a nice set of glass beads, and only 3 or 4 days to make a set of my usual polyclay beads!

I want to carry on using clay and other mediums too for my beads, and do more ceramic beads and PMC too hopefully. Its gonna be a fun, if steep learning curve!

Gina - thank you for the welcome and your kind words.

And Jo - thanks for the reassurance that it isn't just me with the one step forward 2 steps back thing! I bought the tapcraft tongs to play around with - and boy are they tricky!

I was reading a post somewhere here that was worrying that these presses make it too easy for the newbie - let me assure you all that they DONT!
It seems to me these tools require very precise skills in being able to make good barrels, ovals etc. Skills I have yet to learn! I don't think there are any shortcuts here from what I have found. Just practise I guess.

Emma

magpie999
08-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Emma-
Your beads arre beautiful! I love the color combination! :clap: :D :clap:

Shawn T.
08-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Emma,
So Glad you have come out to play! Your beads are looking very good. Nice even shpaes and sizes, dot placement looks good. Some of these basic things are the hardest to accomplish.
You mean you are only taking 50 steps back? Oh your doing great. :wink2:
Even after 4 years, I still find myself working backwards at times, when I am learning a new technique.
Please post a link at the bottem of your sig. to the site where you were the featured artist, so the ones of us that have never seen your beads, and take a peak.

Shawn

ejralph
08-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Magpie, thank you for your kind words.

Shawn - hi, thank you for your kinds words also and the warm welcome. My dot placement is not as I would like it yet - but its getting there I hope - at least they look like dots now!

As for the link - I am happy to do as you suggest and place it beneath my sig until I have a better website to show my stuff, but firstly I will need to work out just how to do that :( and also - I wasn't sure of the ettiquette situation as it is a page on the Justbeads auction site.

The link is http://www.justbeads.com/user/artist/emma-r/gallerybio.cfm anyway - it is just the only thing on the net that shows any of my work really at the moment.

Emma

ejralph
08-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Quick test to see if the sig thing worked?

Emma

KikkiSweden
08-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi Emma,

Another polyclayer to turn up here! I don't think you remember me, but I remember you from polymerclay central!

Welcome!

Leevite
08-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Nice to meet you! SWEET beads! :wave:

UrbanSky
08-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Very nice!

toozygoot
08-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Emma - you can be very proud of those beads! Very nice work! And what a small world - you being only a half hour away from Ellen's son! Amazing when these things happen!

pat

ejralph
08-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Thanks guys, all of you, for your kind words.

Kikkisweden - well yes, I remember your name (that isnt a name you forget in a hurry!) although I have a notoriously bad memory usually for names and people.

And yes, Pat - isnt it a small world!

Emma

margaretz
08-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Emma- Welcome to WC, and thanks for sharing this great set- aweseome job!

:clap:

ejralph
08-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words Margaret.

Emma