PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers Galore

emmachester
08-20-2004, 01:59 AM
This is my first time posting my pictures. I'm relatively new to pastels and am still learning the ropes.

I'd appreciate feedback on composition--this is the area I need the most help.

Two sunflowers--9x12 Colourfix paper (not my favorite paper.)
Three sunflowers--9x12 Wallis paper (this IS my favorite paper.)

Thanks for taking the time.

Sherry

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi Emma - Welcome to the Pastel Forum! Thanks for sharing these two paintings with us - if these are any indication of your work, then you are getting along very well with pastels. Very nice!

A comment on the composition - I like the second better because the painting is more balanced with three - if you had another smaller sunflower in the first, I think you'd see what I mean. I also think that if you put in more lights and darks, especially on your focal point flowers, that would punch up the paintings more. Focal point being one of the flowers that you want the viewer to see more than the others.

Hope that helps!

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Sherry--glad you're joining us!

I agree with you and Kat, the second one is far stronger. I love the way you've given such character to these three, as if one is friendly, one is arrogant and one is shy! ;) The light and shadow in this one is stronger too, which makes it a stronger compostion, and the focal point in this one is clearly the 'friendly' flower, mostly because the face is looking right at us. Your palette is pleasing and sunny and your rendering is nice.

Which isn't to totally dismiss the first one, as it's a pleasant piece for a number of reasons, too! I love the way you've scumbled colors into the background. I agree, a third flower would make this more successful.

These are a wonderful start in pastels and I hope you keep going and show us more of your work!!

Deborah

bnoonan
08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Sherry - both of these are wonderful and I'm glad to know you are posting - I too enjoy the second one best. But since you asked for advice on composition, If this were my piece, I might try something like this... I cropped the first piece and actually tipped it around a bit at an angle to get this image instead. It seems more powerful/balanced to me. This is something I'm trying to do more and more to give strength to my pieces that seem ... oh just not right...when I look at them. Hope this helps and you don't mind my playing with it. Oh another tip - you may consider darkening your darks ever so slightly - I find that helps my pieces as well.

Keep them coming and do post more. You are very adept at pastels and it shows!!!!

BArb :clap:

bnoonan
08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
PS - are you in Manchester? If so, have you been to what we used to call the Gut Buster Burger place... Oh dang I forget what it's called. It's the tavern in town I think. My friends owned a boat and we'd arrive by water from W. Seattle.

Love that place!!! Hey - I seem to recall they have local artists' work on the walls.

Barb

K Taylor-Green
08-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi Sherry, glad you are posting. I, too, favor the second piece. Both are very good. Looking forward to more.

emmachester
08-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks Kat, Dee, Barb and Katherine for the feedback. I'm going to work a little more on the first one.

Barb--no I don't live in Manchester, I'm about 10 miles north in Kingston. Actually I live in the woods near Kingston. I don't think I've been to that burger place before. If you're ever in a boat leaving West Seattle, head up my way and I'll find another Gut Buster burger place for you.

But enough about food. Hey, Barb, aren't you clever? I love the cropping and tilting. You're right, that gives it much more impact. I often times get caught up in the mechanics of art and forget about the more important 'artsy' part of art. If that makes sense.

Thanks again, I feel inspired to start another one.

Sherry

prestonsega
08-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Hate to sound as if I'm jumping on the band wagon, but #2 has my vote also!