PDA

View Full Version : SHOW AND TELL Friday Aug 20, 2004

McDuck
08-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Whilst working my garage sale today, I had a little time to make a few goodies. a turquoise and copper choker style necklace, a pair of earrings made with swarovski crystals, cut glass and copper! and a pendant made of copper, MOP and Turquoise.

yeahyeahyeah I know photos suck...but too busy to play with the new setup and no time to string some fishing line to hang things from. one day...

-Mary the busy McDuck

DonnaBee
08-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Oh Mary! That middle photo of earrings makes me want to skip down the street and twirl! Wonderful, wonderful!

I have to go look at your website, you must have new copper findings! Well, at least new to me.... You *are* gonna convert me Mary!!!!! :D

Barrie
08-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Yummy scrumptious honey bunches!!! Those earrings are serious twirlies!! Love them!! You're kind of twisting my arm to the copper thing!! Must be your flair with the stuff, cause normally I hate the stuff. Yes, I will bring copper solder to the workshop, you must learn how to work with copper and solder! :)
Anybody got anything else to show? I was seriously cheeky in my class today and made myself a sticks & stones ring! Everyone was studiously working, and I didn't want to just sit there and watch. They didn't want me hovering over them, so I figured I'd make something for me! It's tumbling as we speak. I'll sneak some pictures tomorrow of mine and everyone else's pieces. They're doing great work! I am sendin them to this forum to check out, so hopefully we'll get some new members!!! :clap:

Oskadis
08-20-2004, 04:39 AM
Mary that necklace is so delicate :) The copper goes very well with the turquoise. I love the amey crystals you used on those earhangers, altho somehow those findings you used to hang them from look a bit too angular to my taste (the triangle shape). That pendant though .... beautiful! Love that flower and the danglies. Yes yes ... looks like I will order some copper when my bank account allows it ;)

Here what I finished this morning. A lace choker (surprise surprise :wink2: ) made of black cluny lace with czech seed bead chains and vintage czech focals.

Andee
08-20-2004, 07:04 AM
Mary - you're working hard to convert me to copper, I see! ;) That necklace is just GORGEOUS, I really dig it!! The pendant is great, too. The middle part of the earrings could be a tad longer, but that's just my personal opinion...

Karen - nice choker! I could never wear something like that, I envy everybody who can! :)

Not much from me today, just an "airy" bracelet - quite the opposite of yesterday's chunky! Three of the lampwork beads can glide freely on pieces of chain... You can probably tell that I'm running out of lampwork beads, I had to sneak in a frit bead that doesn't quite fit to the patterned ones... I just can't bring myself to sit behind the torch atm... :rolleyes:

McDuck
08-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Karen, very pretty and quite elegant!

Andee, i like the idea of the free floaters!

and thank you all! :wave: I dont have longer head pins that that and didnt feel ike wire wrapping then using a head pin, can you tell I was lazy? B ut maybe today. I am also working on copper ear hooks.

ttyl
mary

LadyArowana
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Lovely pretties from everyone today. I was wondering how the copper is to wear ? the humidity & sweat factor ( sorry to be gross ) in Singapore means I never wear anything plated, does the copper stay the same colour or would it leave a mark ? Fiona

McDuck
08-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Hi Fiona, the copper is solid, not plated so you dont have that issue to deal with. Now I wear my copper bracelet all the time and haver never had it turn green on me. so far so good. you can spray it with a thin coat of an enamal sealer too to keep the shiney shiney and the green off your skin if you are pretty reactive to it.

-Mary

ps one day I will turn all you silver snobs over to copper! :evil: it truelly is the new pink! hehehe

LadyArowana
08-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi Mary, thanks for the info, I think my skin is quite reactive, made worse by the heat, maybe I will wait till I'm somewhere that I can wear a sweater ! Fiona

beclectic
08-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi Fiona, the copper is solid, not plated so you dont have that issue to deal with. Now I wear my copper bracelet all the time and haver never had it turn green on me. so far so good. you can spray it with a thin coat of an enamal sealer too to keep the shiney shiney and the green off your skin if you are pretty reactive to it.

-Mary

ps one day I will turn all you silver snobs over to copper! :evil: it truelly is the new pink! hehehe

Mary - georgeous necklace. I like the findings and tubes, it all looks so perfect with the tourquoise.

I'm not a silver snob. I'd use platnum and white gold if I could afford it and knew how to work with it.

Truly I love copper but my skin takes the silver plating off of brass beads in a matter of days. I am very concerned that copper will verdigres in hours. Your idea of spraying it to keep it shiny sounds good to me. What do you spray it with exactly. I wouldn't want something that stayed tacky.

Karen - your chokers are so fanciful. I can't wear them anymore with my old saggy fat neck but I'd wear that one if I could. The draping loops add so much grace to the piece.

Andee - Your bracelet is delicate and pretty. I call pieces with beads that move along the stringing material or over smaller beads, kinetic because the jewelry moves when you move. I really enjoy the changes in kinetic jewelry. BTW, I like the odd bead but I like asymmetrical designs a lot and while your piece isn't asymmetrical in layout it is asymmetrical in bead decoration. Why can't you make beads if I am not prying too much?

Andee
08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Mary and Barbara - thanks! :)

Barbara - nah, you're not prying! :) I just have no inspiration at all atm for lampworking. Each time I sit down at the torch I just stare into space without having any idea what to do... I hope this is just a phase!

beclectic
08-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Mary and Barbara - thanks! :)

Barbara - nah, you're not prying! :) I just have no inspiration at all atm for lampworking. Each time I sit down at the torch I just stare into space without having any idea what to do... I hope this is just a phase!

I guess that is good for your jewelry making but not so good for your future jewelry making as you are running out of beads. Hope the block passes soon. Maybe you need to try something totally new that you've never tried before. Have your tried making twisted stringer? I've heard that it helps some people get over a block since it is fairly routine but useful for future bead making.

Andee
08-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Barbara - it's already a bit of a problem as I'm now at the point where almost no two beads in my lampwork-beadbox match... :rolleyes: As for the twisties - yeah, I've made some in the past but I absolutely hate doing that, coz my torch isn't really fit for doing these, it's WAY too slow and it's no fun at all to make 'em. Quite the contrary, it's a turn-off!
Thanks for your concern, tho! :) Maybe I just need to kick myself to start making one or two beads, and maybe it'll get better from there...

stxbeads
08-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Nice work everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I haven't posted in awhile....been a busy summer...3 straight weeks of houseguest...since the last group left I've been a torching fool!

25 necklaces, 5 bracelets, 22 pairs of earrings and a kiln full of beads ramping down right now...they're tomorrow's work.

McDuck
08-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Hello Hope!

Very nice bracelets! and after all of the company, you go girl! i just really like the pink one. It is bold, yet soothing, says "Wear me!" in a fun sorta way.

Great job!
Mary