PDA

View Full Version : Friday 8/20 S&T

Foofaraw
08-20-2004, 01:02 AM
So here I sit surfing the web for inspiration when I realize, Holy Tamole it's midnight, I gotta get to bed. Wait, I gotta post some goodies and lookie I'm first!!! You know how it is, priorities!!!!

Well, here are my two sets to end my week. The first set is "Drops of Jupiter" I was playing with silver and transparents and oh these are so much more sparkly and color shifting in person!! And then another pillow set in my black and white study, this set inspired by the works of Godin. I am such a sucker for basic geometrics!!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/19877-Drops-of-Jupiter.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/19877-Round-and-Round.jpg

So let's see what you've been up to!!!

Elle D
08-20-2004, 01:02 AM
I had such fun making these while I watched under the tuscan sun, which I loved ( now I have to find the book and hope it's as good!)

Tuscany, hmmmm, maybe someday.

LifeisGood
08-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Jenn, your beads are so uniform in size and shape, I just hate you! :envy:

Really, they are just so gorgeous!!! Got my pillow press, still working on just getting a pillow, before I begin my geometric designs, ahem. Nice job!

Foofaraw
08-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Elle, those are very unique, I love them!!!

And what are the odds of us both posting at exactly the same time, really 12:02am!! I'm sure one of the mods will merge us!! The meeting of two minds, lol.

Flaming Idiot
08-20-2004, 01:13 AM
OOOH... pretty Elle! I have that movie sitting downstairs to watch tomorrow... am I going to love it? {grin}

Elle D
08-20-2004, 01:20 AM
I love to torch with a good movie! I think you're in for a treat - but that's me! Let me know what you think!

Sassyglassgal
08-20-2004, 02:05 AM
love those tuscan beads, beautiful colors, jenn those pillows and geometrics sure tickle the eyes, very arty. Here's a set of true blue color, periwinkle base with medium transparent blue.

nicker
08-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Ellen...that 's a yummy color combo.

Jenn I do love those pillows...very cool

Debbie....those are darn cute!

My first sucessful Zoozi set!

glassfan
08-20-2004, 02:59 AM
Loved "Under the Tuscan Sun"--saw it in the theaters. What gorgeous colors for your beads Ellen, and so evocative of the movie! Debbie and Nicole those beads are so pretty, love the colors!

Sandra

Briatha
08-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Jenn both are scrumptious but your "Drops of Jupiter" set is to die for!

ValorieCox
08-20-2004, 03:38 AM
And what are the odds of us both posting at exactly the same time, really 12:02am!! I'm sure one of the mods will merge us!! The meeting of two minds, lol.

Ok, the threads are merged now :)

Jenn, I really like the top set, rich colors on those focal rounds...though I think I'm most amazed with your size consistancy on those black spacers...very impressive! :p

Val

GinaJ
08-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Jenn, those sets are fantastic! That first one is Perfect!!!
Elle, gorgeous colors! You may be on to something, movie inspired beads :)
Debbie, those are really pretty beads, those colors layer nicely together!
Nicker, they came out great!!!!!
Here's a set from me, Moretti teal, grass green, Vet. purple, and amethyst:

nursekatie
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Jen To die for squares...how artistic!!!
Elle Gorgeous colors! Great photo too!
Sassy I love the colors
Nicker Congrats on the Zoozii set!! NIce job!!
Gina THUD...gorgeous set...your florals are wonderful!!

I have been creating show stock......I don't think I can ever make enough!! Of course I am keeping a few on Ebay too, but most are going into the show stock.

First is my entry for Corinas challenge...which I will email as soon as I get my computer fixed right....

Then a few of my typical focals....I am trying to make at least 10 in each of the designs I do.....which of course is hundreds of beads!!

kimv
08-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Good morning all,
Jenn, love the pillows!
Ellen, gorgeous colors!
Debbie, blue is my favorite color-especially the periwinkle. Love these!
Nicole, great beads
Gina, love the color combinations
Katie, well done!
I read this thread every day and am in awe of what you all do. As a beginner, I really appreciate the sharing, especially of colors used. This is my first time posting in the S&T. Moretti white with Thompson enamels and painted with their water based enamels. (sorry about the pic quality. Some day I will get a decent camera and setup. Till then, the scanner has to do.)
Jenn, this one's because of you :wink2:

Kim V

mperaza
08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
What a beautiful start to the day!!!

Jenn, I just love your Drops of Jupiter - very, very nice!
Ellen - gorgeous colors!
Nursekatie - beautiful focals.
Nicker - great job of the zoozii's
Kim - I really like your beads - they look like painted porcelain. Just lovely.

OH NO - - I hate when this happens, can't remember everyone's beads. If I missed you, it wasn't on purpose - sorry. Everyone's beads are just great here.

I don't have anything today - didn't get to torch again yesterday due to the weather (still waiting construction of my studio) :(

Have a great Friday everyone! :wave:
Marilyn

Trey Cornette
08-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Everyone,
It has been a long time since I have posted. @months at least. I have moved from the frosen tundra of Indianapolis to Sunny Florida and it has taken a while to set up the new studio. I have begun experimenting with borosilicate and really like the possibilities. Here are a few images of what I have been up to.
Flame On,
Trey

CalmWaterStudio
08-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Beautiful, beautiful beads today everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth Myers
08-20-2004, 09:58 AM
VERY nice work today everyone!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Beth

Foofaraw
08-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, Kim posted her rosebud beads, are those not just to die for!!!!! I want them!!!!!!

And Val, thanks for the comment on the size, I can honestly say that I only made 9 of them, the other one had a sharp edge. I'm fortunate to have an eye for the amount of glass to keep a consistent size. I think it's from all the presses I use!

Lara
08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Everyone has beautiful beads today. Wish I had time to comment on them all.

I'm going to single out Jenn and Gina. Jenn I just love that black and white set. Very retro looking. Very cool. Gina, your color combination in that set is too pretty and I like the variety of beads you have, very nice.

I have the following submision.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10029-BPWCTH.jpg

Lara

maureen
08-20-2004, 10:56 AM
great thread!! woo...trey...wicked cool boro!
still stocking up for best bead, plus the ct. bead society show is that same saturday (as far as i know :rolleyes: )..so i'm double booked, making twice as many...
here is a grey set, two autumn ones, and pink/black/white....maureen

AMR GlassWorks
08-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh my goodness what a show and tell today!! :clap: Looks like a lot of us had florals in mind!! :D There are so many goodies on there today!! :clap: Ok I love chinzware and I think I'm getting closer to the pattern! Here is what I came up with yesterday! I want to keep these sooooo bad but....need money for my trip! I'm going to be working on more shapes with this pattern.

meh2purple
08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Oh my goodness what a show and tell today!! :clap: Looks like a lot of us had florals in mind!! :D There are so many goodies on there today!! :clap: Ok I love chinzware and I think I'm getting closer to the pattern! Here is what I came up with yesterday! I want to keep these sooooo bad but....need money for my trip! I'm going to be working on more shapes with this pattern.

Anne... those are gorgeous!!! :clap: I can see why you want to keep them... I would like to have them! :D

KathyB
08-20-2004, 11:23 AM
WOW!
Man, you guys are gooooood. I am so impressed everyone's beads today!
Jenn- I'd love to see a close up of your drops- they look awesome!

AMR GlassWorks
08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Anne... those are gorgeous!!! :clap: I can see why you want to keep them... I would like to have them! :D
Thanks Mary! They will be going up tonight on Ebay!! :D

creativespirit
08-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Her is mine. Black,aqua ( etched ) and Turqoise,Violet.

Peace
Wendy :)

mtbarr
08-20-2004, 12:12 PM
The tuscany beads are beautifully done. I give you lots of credit for photography also. Wish I could make my pictures look that good. Colors are well organized. Wow..
Last night's horse is my Red Roan made with Val's cardoman or cardamon or oh heck... brown opaque frit!!
The maple leaf is silver punch out over brown and gold aventurine stringer covered with light amber transparent..

Lapislazuli
08-20-2004, 12:18 PM
:wave: :music:

Hi friends, all the beautiful works of today. His beads Anne left occupied marking me. Wonderful, very very beautiful, the colors are combined with much delicadesa, smooth. I congratulate it.

Kiss, Lapislazuli

double S
08-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Outstanding everyone :clap: :clap: Anne those chinzware are incredible.
here are my latest
field of greens
purple pillows
victorian
glow
and a overstuffed pillow bracelet for me :D
Lisa S

Kim Watanabe
08-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Wow - lots of pretty beads today. I really like the color effect Katie got on the first bead she pictured... looks like gold up at the top.

I'm back to seed beads in my shakers (tutorial coming soon to my website... maybe after I get back from my vacation) but I've got other ideas coming too.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/35615-88mayhemshaker1.jpg

AMR GlassWorks
08-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Muchas Gracias Lapislazuli! :D and thank you also Lisa!! Love the beads ya'll are doing and Kay that horse is gorgeous!!

bluhealer
08-20-2004, 01:25 PM
A couple from me for once!
Just got a cartload of new frit colors....playtime!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10208-bell1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10208-shadow1.JPG

Both hollow, on one I was comparing the old dark opal yellow with the color-shift opal frit......they are very similar!! :)
Carolyn

AMR GlassWorks
08-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Ohhhhhhh Those are gorgeous!!!!! :clap:

Tink
08-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok, I know everyone always says "This is the best show and tell ever", but I truly think this one IS!!!! So many gorgeous and inspirational pieces...

Kim, something else that works really well in those hollows are the tiny "hole-less" beads you can get. It's a pretty cool look!

I'm still quite under the weather, so only two from me today. Both hollows: One in Rose Opalino and one in Turquoise:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10179-roseopaltrail.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10179-brtturqrune.jpg

koregon
08-20-2004, 03:21 PM
hey everyone ....a few from me today...getting ready to take off for the weekend over to Bend...we were going to just ride the harley over...but the news says possible thunder shower tonight...and sunday showers rolling in...soooooooooo we are gonna haul the bike in our trailer and do crater lake tomorrow for a day trip...its suppose to sunshine tomorrow...bummer it can't be a full bike weekend...but darn...I am not up for hundreds of miles in the rain on the way home.

a couple focals...and "Hot Mango"

Kim Watanabe
08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks Tink. I just did some with bath salts in them...a "spa" series. Love the opalino pink - that's beautiful.

dgg112
08-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I had such fun making these while I watched under the tuscan sun, which I loved ( now I have to find the book and hope it's as good!)

Tuscany, hmmmm, maybe someday.

OHHHHHHHH Elle these are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:
What colors did you use, if you don't mind me asking. They make an incredible combination!!!
Haven't seen all of the movie yet, you know bits and pieces but I've got it standing by for one of those times I can get the house emptied out and I can be alone!! LOL

Beth Myers
08-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Oh Tink,
BEAUTIFUL!!!
And here is wishing you well on all your upcoming workshops, it was great to see them all posted in the WC Calendar, you are one busy girl, stay well.
Beth

Lyddie
08-20-2004, 07:10 PM
I am so green - school started last week and I have been so tired every night that I have not even gone close to the studio! Beautiful, beautiful beads from one and all. Anne - I could adopt those lovely beads so that they wouldn't be that far from home?!!! :evil: I promise I would be a good foster mommy! Nurse Katie, I am so looking forward to meeting you in person in October. My principal signed off on all my personal days - Port Townsend here I come! You all just keep beading and I will get over school-lag soon!

Lyd

dgg112
08-20-2004, 07:15 PM
OMG I was trying to go thru the role but I just kept saying beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So everything is just gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!
Anne I think you've got chintzware down, they are gorgeous!!!
Kay as always I love your horses!!
The colors everyone is using is just incredible.
Debbie I loved the simple blue on blue, very classy looking!!!!
well I've loved everything I've seen.

debbie the wanabe beadmaker!!!!!!!!!!! lol

glassfan
08-20-2004, 07:17 PM
GORGEOUS BEADS, EVERYONE!!! :clap: And Kim, what a cool idea, bath salts in a shaker bead! Can't wait to see! :cool:

glass_beads
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Ok, I know everyone always says "This is the best show and tell ever", but I truly think this one IS!!!! So many gorgeous and inspirational pieces...

Tink, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking going through these. I swear I was salivating looking at the stunning beads today. OMG, I feel so inferior at this moment....these beads are beyond stunnig today.

Can't comment on everyones...just too many stunners but wanted to mention Annes (AMR) Chintz set. Those truly look like watercolor paintings! Beyond stunning.

I am going to have to look through my glass stash to see if I have any rose opalino after seeing Tinks bead. That color is amazing -- why do I never use it???

Gorgeous beads everyone!

mhartjen
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
This is a wonderful show and tell ... Kim, I love your filled beads! So unique!
Here are a few of mine for today ... Marna

Cat66
08-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Great beads everybody. This is a set I called Indian Bazaar with riveted sterling bead caps.

Suz01
08-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Amazing work everyone - i would have to agree this is one of the best S&T's i have seen - you are all inspiring!! :clap: :clap:

Suzanne

Andie's Glass
08-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Beads are beautiful today!!!

Tink, you've inspired me ... Thank you!!

Andie :cat:

JHDesigns
08-20-2004, 09:11 PM
I agree with Tink. This is the best show & tell I've seen. So much originality showing. I really get excited when I see people taking things to a different level and finding inspiration to create new beads! Way to go everyone!
I do have to single out Ann though because her chinz beads are gorgeous! Ann, those are to die for!
Jami

Becky Mason
08-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Jenn,

I always look forward to seeing what new creations you've dome up with. Your creativity never cewases to amaze me. The black and white pillows look like they are painted. Is this some "secret" technique of yours, or is it something you are willing to tell us all? Please, please, pretty please :D :D :D

Becky

Foofaraw
08-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the smile tonight Becky, I really needed it. Power went out while torching and I lost 6 hours worth of beads. They would have been ok if my son hadn't decided to peak and then leave the kiln door open.

Anyway, they are sort of painted. After the beads have cooled, I use a medium and enamel, then fire them back in the kiln and sometimes bringing them back into the flame as well. I spend on average 3 days for one of those sets, but the look kills me. I'm really into geometrics all of a sudden, don't know why.

But, I must be on the right track, because I went to the mall for the first time since winter yesterday and there were geometrics in every shop front! Ya'll will be board with these by the time I'm done, lol!!!

Becky Mason
08-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Jenn,

So sorry to hear about your power outage and the loss of your beads. :crying: Is there no way that you can slowly ramp up the kiln and anneal them that way, or did they already crack from the stress?

I've had a few power fluctuations where I had to reset my kiln, but never a full-blown outage. Bummer!!!

I'm not sure I understand the process you described, but it sounds like you make the base bead and anneal it. Then when it is totally cooled, you paint on the enamel, which has been mixed with a medium to make it like paint. Then you re-anneal them. Is this correct?

Becky

Foofaraw
08-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Bingo!!! I use Thompson enamels and Klyrfire as a medium

The beads probably would have been ok, but my son decided to peak and forgot to shut the door and of course today just had to be the day that I made a bunch of encased beads (lauscha) so I have cracks from here to there. Major bummer, but apparently they were never meant to see the light of day.

wildfirelauri
08-22-2004, 03:23 AM
Chiming in a little late here, but I also give this S&T a two thumbs up. Heck, even three!!

A few literally jumped out and made me oooooooohh and ahhhhhhhhh...
Jen-crisp and sophisticated lines on the pillows.
Trey-eye popping COLOR.
Anne-just dreamy. a fresh bouquet.
Kim-just plain fun. made me smile.

All of you, very nice. Thanks for the inspiration. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/10074-eyepopping.gif

manda j
08-22-2004, 11:24 AM
This is a little late- but to bring it back up, all I can say is WOW!!!!

I wonder if something could be done as a sticky- like the BEST OF THE BEST Show and Tell? Don't know if that is a good idea or not, but these were all wonderful! :clap: :clap: :clap: