PDA

View Full Version : How to connect to jumprings???

ajwhite
08-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone~

I am making a bracelet and am connecting to wrapped beads with two jumprings. It looks fine but seems unstable and twists a lot. Is there another way to join two jumprings without using another jumpring?

I know this is clear as mud....

Audra

BlueBuddha
08-20-2004, 12:12 AM
Maybe use smaller jump rings...?

Are the two jump rings lying side-by-side, or are they linked through one another? Meaning did you join in this manner:

bead - jumpring - jumpring - bead
or
bead - doubled jumprings (side by side) - bead

If it is the first way, you're going to get a lot of twist, simply because just two single jump rings in a row won't lie flat. I'd suggest just using one jump ring, or if you've got enough space in your wrapped loop, use two jump rings and join them side by side (or, Mobius them - have them appear side-by side, but they actually go through one another as well...um, I hope that is clear ...)

If you need it to be two jump rings long because of design and/or sizing issues, try bumping it up to three and using different sizes:
bead - tiny jump ring - normal jump ring - tiny jump ring - bead
(the tiny jump rings can be doubled for strength)

Hope this helped and isn't too confusing!

ajwhite
08-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Bead jump ring jump ring Bead. I need the two jump rings for length. I use the snapeez ones from Via Murano because they actually do stay shut without soldering. I don't know what you mean by mobious them. I put one through the other.

I've seen horizontal connectors in some commercial made jewelry and some nice artisan pieces. I thought maybe you could by them somewhere but I can't find anything like them.

Thanks for your help!
Audra

beclectic
08-20-2004, 11:40 AM
If you used 3 smaller jumprings then you could get the length and not so much twist. The second jumpring is trying to turn at a 90 angle to the first jumpring so the third jumpring would be putting you back in line. What you could do is use a jumpring then a tiny jumpring then another jumpring. This wouldn't add much to the length but would let the larger jumprings lie flat.

Please post a picture of your current arrangement and then your solution so we can see how you solved the delimma.

ajwhite
08-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Here is a pic of the bracelet. They are shards - not beads. I said bead because I didn't know if anyone knew what a shard was. Everytime I mention it people look really confused. I'll try the smaller jump rings - don't have any right now and the snapeez only come in two sizes. The size I use for linking and the bigger ones I use on the ends.

ajwhite
08-20-2004, 01:14 PM
Here is another one - had to resize it.

Lori-O
08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
I've seen those shards before! I knew what you were talking about. :) They are so kewl! Your bracelet is even cooler!

beclectic
08-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Great pictures. I know what shards are although I'm really glad to see a picture. I love how you made the edges of the pics irregular. It really echoes the irregularities of the shards.

What about using a very small split ring between the 2 snap rings? They are pretty secure. They could be small enough that the fact that they are a split ring isn't obvious and wouldn't detract from the design.

Another option is you could make links out sterling wire to bridge the spaces between shards. There are several link designs on the WigJig site. Here is one that might work for your bracelet:

Scepter Link (http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-wire/scepter.htm)

ajwhite
08-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Wow, I never thought of making my own links. Duh. I even have a wigjig. Do I use it? Noooo. Maybe I'll try that route. I don't have any little rings right now. Just 6-8 mm ones. I'll have to stop at Michaels and see what they have on hand. Thanks for the compliments. I'm making bracelets and pendants to sell on my site and I wonder if people will like them. I like them but then, that's me.

Audra

Aislyn
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
If I were doing it, I'd connect them with flower chain elements (the same as the Mobius rings mentioned before). They add a bit of rigidity so that the connections between the shards would function more like hinges than loose chain, if that makes sense. Here's a picture showing flower elements connecting bead links:

http://urbanmaille.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=107

ringslingin
08-20-2004, 04:47 PM
I use the snapeez ones from Via Murano because they actually do stay shut without soldering.

Just to let you know, if you use "regular" jump rings they will also stay shut without soldering. I've seen the Snapeez in person, don't see the big deal about them other than the little snapping sound.

If your jump rings have good, flush cuts, and they are closed properly they won't come open w/o the aid of pliers.

HTH saving you some $$$!!!

That said, Pam and Ira are very lovely people :)

Denise

ringslingin
08-20-2004, 04:51 PM
If I were doing it, I'd connect them with flower chain elements (the same as the Mobius rings mentioned before). They add a bit of rigidity so that the connections between the shards would function more like hinges than loose chain, if that makes sense. Here's a picture showing flower elements connecting bead links:

http://urbanmaille.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=107

Love that new braclet, Aislyn!!! What are those wire/ring things on either side of your rubies?

BlueBuddha
08-20-2004, 05:27 PM
It seems as though people on the board have been able to give you some great ideas about connectors, but allow me to clarify one thing...

I don't know what you mean by mobious them. I put one through the other.
OK, Mobius...Imagine a 2-in-2 chain of jump rings. (Like a single link chain, just double each link). To mobius the chain, the "doubled" links would also go through one another. Sounds confusing, so maybe a pic would help:

2-in-2 mobius chain (http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/classes/full.php?id=nonsolderedchains) The Mobius chain (also known as Wiggle) is the bottom one.

Mobiusing helps increase strength, and in my opinon, can be downright pretty. You can take just about any chainmaille weave, and mobius a ring here or there--or heck, all of them--and completely change the look of the weave.

OK, I'm done talking about maille. :wink2:

Do be sure to post pics of your solution!

Aislyn
08-20-2004, 06:30 PM
Love that new braclet, Aislyn!!! What are those wire/ring things on either side of your rubies?

Rings... of course. *g* They're Celtic knots. Picture a flower made with only two rings. Now imagine doubling those rings. Now put them over the wrapped part of a bead link. Viola, Celtic knots. *s*

ringslingin
08-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Rings... of course. *g* They're Celtic knots. Picture a flower made with only two rings. Now imagine doubling those rings. Now put them over the wrapped part of a bead link. Viola, Celtic knots. *s*

And what size rings would one use on these voila knots? :angel:

ringslingin
08-20-2004, 07:19 PM
OK, I'm done talking about maille. :wink2:
You can never be done talking about maille!!! Never! That would be a sin, wouldn't it?

ajwhite
08-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never done maille - looks a little confusing. I may try the mobius links.

I thought the snapeez were a new cool thing. All my other jumprings pull apart. Maybe they are just cheap. Dang..I just ordered a bunch of snapeez too. Oh well, now I know.

So with the mobius I take two rings and link them, then take those links and put them through two more linked rings?

Ugh! Its almost mathematical and I hate math!

Aislyn
08-21-2004, 01:57 PM
And what size rings would one use on these voila knots? :angel:

I never think to write these things down and that bracelet is sealed up now, but I checked the turquoise bracelet and the rings look like 16g/5.5mm on that one. For 18g, 4.5 or 5mm is probably right. It's kind of a balancing act with the aspect ratio because the thickness of the wrapped loop determines how much inside space you need, so you'll probably want rings in several close sizes to experiment with. *s*

BlueBuddha
08-21-2004, 03:06 PM
So with the mobius I take two rings and link them, then take those links and put them through two more linked rings?
Sounds like you've got it to me!

Ugh! Its almost mathematical and I hate math!
Maille is pretty mathematical. For me, it's the perfect balance between left- and right-brain...so I love it. :)

By the way, what material are your jump rings? As Denise noted, they shouldn't be pulling apart. If they are sterling, they might be made from dead-soft wire, which is just bad news. If you're using sterling, I recommend using half-hard or harder jump rings. (For smaller gauges, ie 19 and smaller, go for the spring-hard if ya can.)

Ah, Denise, I guess you're right...I can never be done talking about maille. :angel:

ringslingin
08-21-2004, 06:24 PM
I thought the snapeez were a new cool thing. All my other jumprings pull apart. Maybe they are just cheap. Dang..I just ordered a bunch of snapeez too. Oh well, now I know.

Snapeeze are seminew, and they are semicool BUT they're more of a luxury item than a necessity. If you use a jump ring that is well made, well cut, and use a good size then it shouldn't come apart.

By good size I mean, you wouldn't want to use something like 18g 7mm at the end of a bracelet alone, it's not strong enough to hold closed (not to mention it would look really funny), but if you used something like 18g 4.5mm or 16 5.5mm it should stay closed (as long as you close it properly) just fine.

There are other places to get good jump rings, I can PM you my source if you want, mUM is the word :).

HTH

Denise

TheBlueBetween
08-21-2004, 06:34 PM
I know I'm a little late jumping in here, but can you double up on the rings - or even tripple up on them?

Jewel Jill
10-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Well...I'm glad that this forum popped up when I was searching the web for Snapeez. My jump rings stay together, but when I saw the Snapeez, I thought that these would be great and add more strength to my pieces. From what I'm hearing, this isn't the case.
As for the horizontal connectors -- there are several places where these can be purchased and they would look pretty neat with your shards!!

ajwhite
10-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Do you know where I can find the horizontal connectors? I've looked everywhere and have given up!

Thanks!
Audra

Jewel Jill
11-05-2004, 02:18 PM
I have found them at Fire Mountain and Rio Grande. They would add a nice falre to your creation and make it quite unique. Hope this helps.
Jill