PDA

View Full Version : Some general beading <RANTS>

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm just so frustrated at the moment that all the pearls I have picked out for this special birthday project don't fit on any of my head pins. What the heck is up with that???

So then I'm trying to figure out how to do what I want to do with thread and needle instead.... and I notice my fingers are turning black... has anyone else noticed that the fireline you get in a beading store that is repackaged by TheBeadSmith turns your fingers black while the exact same stuff you get at the fishing store does not? Why is this stuff coated with something???? It's the second package from two different bead stores... so it's not just a fluke.

Ok, I'm done ranting for a moment or two... back to figure out how the heck to make a pearl charm bracelet without headpins.

dogmaw
08-19-2004, 07:48 PM
I've had that problems with pearls too. I found that if I make my own headpins from sterling wire (I make a little spiral on the end to hold the pearl on) it work well and I can get it in the size I need. As for the thread, I have no clue! It seems odd they would coat it with something that turns fingers black, since it is meant to be worn.

Jo

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 07:58 PM
I've had that problems with pearls too. I found that if I make my own headpins from sterling wire (I make a little spiral on the end to hold the pearl on) it work well and I can get it in the size I need. As for the thread, I have no clue! It seems odd they would coat it with something that turns fingers black, since it is meant to be worn.

Jo

Hi Jo - I found some very thin gage wire and am using it - tho I'm pounding the end to widen it a bit and hoping that will hold things on - curly-cues are not her style or I would do them (I love them myself).

I'm wondering if the black stuff is perhaps something that gets on the thread when they re-spool it on the smaller spools. Or maybe they think it needs conditioner - you know how some people condition their thread with wax or something? I would prefer it not but am waiting for the fishing supply store to call me when they get more in - they are always sold out. I'm thinking it's us beaders buying it, not the fishermen. LOL.

McDuck
08-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Pam- that is a bummer about the fireline. I have never used it but may go to the fishing store to check it out.

As for the pearls, take a diamond tip bead reamer with a very small tip and drill them out under water, or at least wet. I do it all the time to get pearls on larger guage wire or beadalon.

-Mary

DonnaBee
08-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Yes, I am with Mary! Ream those pearls! (How many is it?)

I don't know anything about the fireline, I haven't used it.

I hope to see a pic of the bracelet though, Pam!

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Yes, I am with Mary! Ream those pearls! (How many is it?)

I don't know anything about the fireline, I haven't used it.

I hope to see a pic of the bracelet though, Pam!

LOL - I don't have anything to ream them with! I bought some diamond tips recently and am still waiting for hubby to find his dremel tool - one more weekend and I will just go buy my own. But the tips I got are big - I got them for cleaning my glass beads (though I think I do a pretty darn thourough job without it).

And some of the pearls are kind of small... and there are A LOT of them - I'm making a pearl charm bracelet and matching dangly earrings. Pearls and garnets. To go with a little black dress and wine colored shoes she's wearing to a wedding this weekend. So I have to give it to her by tomorrow night. And I have to make a cake and plan a dinner of some sort. Yikes! Well back at it.

Fireline is great for beadweaving btw - if you don't work with seed beads you probably would never use it. But if you do it's great! (but get it at the fishing store).