PDA

View Full Version : Lily Pond

dragonlady
08-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Started this for this week's WDE, someone suggested I post it here also so here it is now it's finished. 11"x14" on Wallis toned a medium blue with conte hard pastels (and I'm grateful every time for Dee's lesson on how to do this), then Unison and Rembrandt soft pastels. C&C welcome (I always value your opinions)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2004/43451-lpondfinished.jpg

K Taylor-Green
08-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Wonderful work, Joy. You have caught the density of the leaves, and I love the fish!!

bnoonan
08-19-2004, 09:09 PM
I think this is wonderful and my favorite part is the way you took care in defining the fish breaking the surface of the water and that multiple image that results. Well done!!!! Keep them coming!!!

:clap: Barb

Dyin
08-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Love the composition of this and agree with Barb on the fish...well done :)

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Yay! I saw and commented on this in the WDE - you did what you needed to do - the fish now look like they are under the water. Good job! :clap:

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 11:35 AM
I agree that this painting is quite intersting. I like the arrangement of flowers and fish to give a nice circular-ish movement to the painting. Your execution of each element is strong--well done. I see that you're calling this one finished, so my suggestions might be used for another time!

I'd like to suggest two things to you. If this was my painting I'd make three of the leaves in the foreground MUCH larger is size. As it is right now the leaves are very similar in size, back to front. This may be accurate to the photo, but if you exaggerate the size of the front ones it will give more depth to the painting. You might mass some of them together into one.

The other suggestion, which I believe could add to the sense of depth as well, would be to vary the color of the water from front to back somewhat more. In reflection water goes from light at the top (if it reflects the sky at the horizon line) to darker at the bottom (if it reflects the deepest blue at the top of the sky). So I think you could lighten the water at the top somewhat and blue it more at the bottom and it would be believable.

Just thoughts here. This is a very well done painting for a number of reasons as the others have mentioned! :D

Deborah

dragonlady
08-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Kate, Barb, Sue, Kat, Deborah - Thanks so much for the comments, you are always so encouraging.

Deborah, thanks for the suggestions, although I said finished I am always open to suggestions for improvement and these are very good ideas. I shade sky from dark to light at the horizon but never thought about it for water, isn't it strange how we miss things like this until someone points them out? I will give these a try, thanks for taking the time.

Dark_Shades
08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Im another who really likes the fishes in this one and how they break the surface water....... well done