PDA

View Full Version : ACK! Any knitters in NE INDIANA?

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-19-2004, 02:48 PM
I reallllllly want to learn to do basic knitting...but I just cant make head nor tale from the books and pamphlets ive read. my fingers and hands do not cooperate so I am trying to find someone who can maybe take a hour or two to help me learn to knit! Anyone ? thanks!

glitterbead
08-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Karin!

Are you somewhat close to Amy K (Torchbynight)???

If I remember correctly - she does knit!

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-19-2004, 03:04 PM
I forgot she knitted I will have to see if I still have her email around....anyone else around here? She and I live an hour or so away from each other....

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Can't help you with a live person, but that Knit & Bitch (or is it Stich N' Bitch?) book looks like an awesome learning tool. I'm thinking about getting it because I want so bad to make one of the new ponchos that are everywhere right now.

artbabe21
08-19-2004, 05:19 PM
I had taught myself to crochet and later when I saw those fun fashion scarves and all the exceptionally beautiful fibers that could be found at yarn stores I decided I best teach myself to knit.....mind you I am a visual learner so I got a book at the library & it was clear as mud. I did get a clue from it though & began practicing.

I then went to my yarn store to buy some yarn & they sat me down to be sure I knew what I was doing....so that was the best help I got. They taught me to cast on taking minutes compared to what I read in the book! TRY going to a yarn store, say I don't have time for a class, can someone just give me some basics? But if you are doing something more difficult then a scarf that is all knit, no purl, maybe a class would be more beneficial.

glitterbead
08-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Can't help you with a live person, but that Knit & Bitch (or is it Stich N' Bitch?) book looks like an awesome learning tool. I'm thinking about getting it because I want so bad to make one of the new ponchos that are everywhere right now.

Pam - that book is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!!!!!

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 05:42 PM
I then went to my yarn store to buy some yarn & they sat me down to be sure I knew what I was doing....so that was the best help I got. They taught me to cast on taking minutes compared to what I read in the book! TRY going to a yarn store, say I don't have time for a class, can someone just give me some basics? But if you are doing something more difficult then a scarf that is all knit, no purl, maybe a class would be more beneficial.

You know that is a GREAT idea - because when I was just flipping through that Knit N' Bitch book (whatever it was called) a woman who worked at Ben Franklins where I was, was talking it up and offered to show me the basics (but I couldn't stay, I had to pick my son up, I was just killing time) and I almost couldn't get away from her - she wanted to show me how to knit so bad. She did show me how to crochet beads into a piece without having to pre-string them all - just hope I remember that easy trick when I get around to wantint to do it. So give that a try!

TheBlueBetween
08-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Pam - that book is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!!!!!

Yeah it looked like it was! But I SOOOOOOOOOOO don't need yet another craft/hobby thing going on right now!!!

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-19-2004, 05:49 PM
The local yarn store has classes but they all start before I get out of work or are o nthe weekends and I cannot always get down here on weekends because that is my time for house stuff...plus they ask $15 hr for private lessons which isnt bad really but she couldnt do it after im out of work at 6 :(( oh well....so I saw that stich n bitch book and called my borders and they have it in so I figure id pick up some circular needles from hobby lobby and grab up the book on my way home....and see what I could do I really do best with someone showing me in person but I really hope I can pick up the gist of it from the book this time ive heard only good things about it so im crossing my fingers....The main things i want to learn to do is
#1 scarfs love them and they seem pretty straight forward and simple well lol some of them anyway...

#2 Hats! Winter stocking caps I love them they keep me ears an head toasty warm :)

#3 socks..Ive never had a pair of knitted socks and I really really want to try out some and preferabley be able to make them for myself....

#4 Mittens well you know they are all cute and easier i think to knit than gloves....

#5 PURSES! I absolutely adore some of the purses people are knitting they are just so dam cute!

I just figure Ill start with scarfs....and when i get confident enough i can move on to other things...its just getting the starting going....you know...

glitterbead
08-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Yeah it looked like it was! But I SOOOOOOOOOOO don't need yet another craft/hobby thing going on right now!!!

But knitting is SOOOOOOOOOOO portable!!!!!

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I picked up Stich "n Bitch at my local borders tonight
and got some circular needles from a local mega store lol
because dammit im determined to learn to knit I was never able to get past casting on.... before but the illustrations in this book
really helped me figure out how to do that and i just keep flipping the piece so I dont have to try to knit left handed yet ;) I got the circular needles because I was tihnking of taking a beginner class at a local yarn shop but they will not teach beginners on straight needles only circulars I think they are on crack...lol I found the circulars a PITA because the dam nylon thing is funny shaped and kept getting in the way...I am gonna swing by the local hobby lobby tomorrow and see if I can find some knitting needles by the same maker as my favorite acrylic crochet needles...Im just so happy I finally have a little teeny piece of knitted fabric! lol and it not all wonky arsed ! I really suggest this book even for the little more advanced folks! There are somem really interesting and nifty chic patterns in there ! Anyway Let me know what you guys think of it if you pick it up!

isle-of-cats
08-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi Karin!

My Mom is a major fiber artist; she spins, weaves, knits, etc...
It took her years to get me to sit down and learn but I finally got it, pretty much.

I can knit and purl (sp?), ooooohhhhhhh, aahhhhhhhhhh LOL :wink2:

Anyway, with my hats I use the continuous knit stitch.
With scarves, I knit, purl, knit, purl... that way they lie flat.
If you knit, knit, knit... with scarves they will curl up, at least mine did...
Anyway those are the super basics.

I can't believe that your local yarn shop charges for lessons, at my local shop, if you go in and buy yarn from them they are more than happy to help and show you what you need. They figure if they get you started then you will keep coming back for more yarn... Maybe there is another yarn store that would be more willing to help you get started???

Too bad my Mom is not closer to you or I am sure she would be happy to show you the basics.
And if I can get it, anyone can!