PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry displays

tiger1
08-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi, I am now in the stage of making a lot of jewelry to hopefully begin selling very soon. I ordered some wire display racks to use in a few stores. I am sort of worried about theft, is there some way to wire the pieces on without making a mess of it? Is this a bad idea anyway because then people cannot touch or try on anything? Also how do you tag your finished jewelry? I am really lost when it comes to tagging them. :confused: Does anyone else have any other ideas for in-expenisive displays that would be good for bracelets and necklaces! Thanks for your help!
Mandy

beclectic
08-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the wearable art forum. I don't sell in stores so I don't have first hand information. However, Danelle had an experience where a store removed all of her tags and put on their own so I would check with the store to see if they have a policy concerning tags. One of the things a store might not want is your tag to give a way of contacting you. They don't want you selling direct to their custormers and possibly undercutting their prices.

From the discussions about showing and selling at fairs it seems to be the consensus that customers want to pick up jewelry and look in a mirror with the piece of jewelry held up to their ear or neck. Because of this I wouldn't imagine that attachning your jewelry to the display stand would be a good idea. Additionally, it would really slow down the store owner or clerk when they went to sell a piece.

Oskadis
08-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Hi,

I have no experience with selling in a store, but I know a bit about customer behavior.

Beclectic is right. Customers want to touch the jewel - even try it on. Actually if you leave your jewelry in the store its the store's responsibility to keep it out of reach of thieves. Maybe talk to the shop owner about this matter.

About tags: I do tag my jewelry with self printed paper tags (with a color printer). I just put my logo on them and a small slogan that describes the essence of my jewelry, then attach them with a matching paper ribbon to the items.

Hmm can post a pic of one of my tags if it helps you, although I consider myself still an apprentice in this area.

Have a nice day!

LLane
08-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi Mandy,
I do sell in several stores and mostly they have provided the display area for my jewelry. For earrings I print my own cards that have my business name and a tag line like "original jewelry design and lampwork by Lois S....." And as someone mentioned, most stores do not like you to have contact info as some customers will try to go around the store and get a better price. My cards can be hole punched and hung on hooks or purchased racks. For nicer earrings (higher priced) I prefer the cards to just loose on a rack. It also helps with putting a price sticker on them too! Check with your retailers to find out their preferences..... it might save you some time in re-do!
Good luck and please let us know how it comes out!!
Peace,
Lois

Here is a pic of a sample of my card.

tiger1
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Thank you everybody! What format would you use to make very small foldable tags on your computer? Would you need one? I do have a color printer. Plus I don't have a company name yet...what would I do about that? Thanks!

beclectic
08-21-2004, 01:33 PM
If you do business under your own name you do not have to register one. Otherwise you are supposed to register. Depending on how much money you want to spend you can register your business name in your state or nationally. Nationally is more expensive especially since you have to have someone do exhaustive research to make sure the name is not already registered nationally.

Remember that business names like "Raggedy Ann Beads" is a big no no since "Raggedy Ann" is a registered brand name and copyrighted too. I just used that as an example so you could get the idea.

There is an Art Business Forum here on WC that has a lot more information, check it out.

ebeader
08-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Yes, each store has its own rules for how things are displayed and tagged. I assume you are talking about consignment ...so your tagging criteria do need to include some sort of stock number/inventory number so you can keep track of what youre being paid for. This needs to be reasonably small and inconspicuous. I make those separate from my hangtags or earring cards as a suprisingly large percentage of stores take all sorts of "brand" or "name" tags off of thier items. The reasons range from they are too visually distracting in the case to the store doesnt want the "competition" "stealing" their artisans (GEESH!). In some instances , especially if the store is newish or jewelry is not their largest department (for instance a clothing store which wants to carry a few jewelers) it might be better to negotiate to have a small case which you provide for just your work. Rio Grande for instance sells a quite nice lockable four sided acrylic display . It rotates and takes up a very small space on a counter. It uses those commercial tabbed hang tags upon which you can suspend earrings or pins or even necklaces with a little tweaking. If the store allows, you can "brand" by printing small tags on the smallest return address labels that you can get at any office supply company.