PDA

View Full Version : Dark Silvered Plum? Got any bead photos?

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I love this stuff!!! I can't find the thread mentioned in thursday's s&t referring to a thread for this, so I am asking you to post your photos of this color here please? I find it comes out really nice with a low flame, like working with ruby pink. It boils easy though, gotta watch out for that, it'll ruin the color in a second! Any one else have any beads or tricks with this new wonderful color?
Here's a set I made with it as stringer on black. It can look silver, bronze, gold, purple, pink, etc.......wow!
Thanks,
~Suzy~
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2004/30368-ne4ad.JPG

Smedstad
08-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Did anyone buy any of the light silver plum? I bought the dark and made one bead with it so far. I am going to try to use it as stringer or as a highlight rather than the base next time. Has anyone tried it only ivory? Does it react to anything? or make wonderful lines, etc.?

Debbie

TwistNglass
08-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Debby,

I have both silver plums and like the light one best. I used it mainly for organics and yes it does react. I think I recall it does get the middle lines.
I really like the color but like Kimberrly said, a little bit goes a long way.

Another one I really love is the new lavender blue. That stuff is just plain gorgeous! Works beautifully with Val's new Lilac frits, too. I think I read where people thought there was no difference with this new lavender and the old ones. I have to disagree. I will be posting some beads in a few days that I just made. I'm not at home now or I would post a pic. But, you do get some periwinkle tones out of it mixed with the lilac/lavender color and the color is scrumptious.

Have fun!

Rose

JavaGirlBT
08-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I made some beads today with dark silver plum stringer (raised). Yum! What a cool color!

!ngridh
08-19-2004, 09:06 PM
I love the stuff...that was how I made my boro look-a-likes!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2004/10727-boro.jpg

nicker
08-19-2004, 11:57 PM
OK so I'm thinking mine are boiled all though I got this effect by roling it on a brass marver. I love it! I have the light too and it's just as much fun :clap:

fosterfire
08-20-2004, 10:35 AM
I grabbed a handfull of light and dark at the Gathering but the rubber band broke and I'm not sure which I used here. Could be either one.

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-20-2004, 12:24 PM
I am loving what you guys are doing with this color!!!
!Ingrih!! WOW!!!!!!! Thoase are encased? I got plum when I encased mine.
Nicker, those are great! Talk about Silver, mine's more Bronze and Fosterfire is getting a totally different effect! I think this glass depends on the individual flame settings.
Keep those photo's coming!! :wave:
~Suzy~

!ngridh
08-20-2004, 12:32 PM
I am loving what you guys are doing with this color!!!
!Ingrih!! WOW!!!!!!! Thoase are encased? I got plum when I encased mine.
Nicker, those are great! Talk about Silver, mine's more Bronze and Fosterfire is getting a totally different effect! I think this glass depends on the individual flame settings.
Keep those photo's coming!! :wave:
~Suzy~

LOL well the reason you got plum was because you forgot the eye of newt and toe of frog and the pinch of horse manure ;-)))

they were silver fumed before encasing and there is another glass ingredient but my lips are sealed...will have to wait until I am on to a new favorite
;-)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/10727-hollow.jpg
OK here is a hollow from yesterday...dark silver plum drizzled on exterior...bead is the transparent silver purple or whatever they call it...and vetrofond pink and silver fumes...YUMMMMMMM ...

well of course this type of irridescent surface never looks as good in a photograph.... I don't think I have made any serious beads since the gathering...been way too hot here but .......and no relief in sight...remember ...western washington is used to cool to mild temps and lots of rain...hummmmmmmm I think I have forgotten what rain is!

littlecrow1
08-20-2004, 12:51 PM
awesome color! who carries it ? where can i buy some?...lol :D

!ngridh
08-20-2004, 01:06 PM
awesome color! who carries it ? where can i buy some?...lol :D

Frantz and they are rationing it out...the dark plum will go into dark irridesent color with minimal coaxing...look for a thread where someone posted some of corina's beads...they look like black pearls...and she did gold stone caligraphy similar to a set above...

I just learned to fume so if the cats sit still long enough they will be silvertoned too!

JavaGirlBT
08-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Here's the set I did yesterday with this color. It ranges from a hematite-type color to bronze and blue, purple, etc. - kind of like an iris finish on a seed bead. Yum!

Lara
08-20-2004, 08:00 PM
AHHHH Why can't I get the reduced look with this color. I use a HH and I thought it would just reduce by looking at it.

HELP

Lara

Elena
08-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Debbie,
Here is dark plum silver with med ivory.. I seem to like the lighter better too!The dark is just deeper,but still good!!
Pretty fun and easy to work!‹
Have a great day!
Elena

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-20-2004, 10:15 PM
AHHHH Why can't I get the reduced look with this color. I use a HH and I thought it would just reduce by looking at it.

HELP

Lara

With me at the torch, it needs to cool off first, then be reheated to pop the range of colors out, but it does love oxqgen!!
~Suzy~

bluhealer
08-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I finally got around to using it!!
I was just staring at it......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/10208-pewter.JPG

I worked it fairly hard,with several reheats. It was looking too shiny and I didn't like that, so I played around with the flame a bit.

Carolyn

nicker
08-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Carolyn I am so envious of how you can make colors shift. Is that the opal frit?

bluhealer
08-21-2004, 12:50 PM
It sure is!
On the way to you Monday!

Temperature is the trick, just like the dark opal yellow.....
Ice water and metal tools :evil:

Carolyn

nicker
08-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh goodie does it come infused with the Caroyn Driver charma? :evil:

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-21-2004, 03:18 PM
CAROLYN!!!! That is beautiful!! I love it!!!

~Suzy~

Lara
08-21-2004, 11:20 PM
With me at the torch, it needs to cool off first, then be reheated to pop the range of colors out, but it does love oxqgen!!
~Suzy~

Thanks Suzy. Darn it, usually it is reduction that does that. :( I can get it to look shiny on the rod in the torch, but once on the bead, it does't work. Will keep trying.

It sure is!
On the way to you Monday!

Temperature is the trick, just like the dark opal yellow.....
Ice water and metal tools :evil:

Carolyn

Carolyn, WOWZIE too pretty. What is this opal frit. Is that the Raku frit from Val? Something different? Very cool

Lara

!ngridh
08-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Thanks Suzy. Darn it, usually it is reduction that does that. :( I can get it to look shiny on the rod in the torch, but once on the bead, it does't work. Will keep trying.

Carolyn, WOWZIE too pretty. What is this opal frit. Is that the Raku frit from Val? Something different? Very cool

Lara

Well I have found that trying to put it in a reducing flame doesn't bring on that metallic sheen... it seems to develope when you take it out of the flame..let it cool a little and they turn it a few times at the end of the flame...

that is what works for me anyway...

!ngridh
08-21-2004, 11:31 PM
I finally got around to using it!!
I was just staring at it......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2004/10208-pewter.JPG

I worked it fairly hard,with several reheats. It was looking too shiny and I didn't like that, so I played around with the flame a bit.

Carolyn

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA Carolyn! the base is the silver plum??? and the frit or bits of color are??? ok you don't have to tell...but I just wondered if that was something you did with the silver plum.

Lara
08-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Well I have found that trying to put it in a reducing flame doesn't bring on that metallic sheen... it seems to develope when you take it out of the flame..let it cool a little and they turn it a few times at the end of the flame...

that is what works for me anyway...

Thanks Ingrid. I need to continue to work on it. It works like this for me in the rod form and not on the bead. ERRR. Will keep trying.

Lara

bluhealer
08-22-2004, 12:59 PM

Lara

It is the same thing....but I have my own.....I've been on a dark opal yellow/raku kick for several months and this frit behaves very much like that Moretti odd lot, even down to the temperature tricks. If it were only 104..... :crying:

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA Carolyn! the base is the silver plum??? and the frit or bits of color are??? ok you don't have to tell...but I just wondered if that was something you did with the silver plum.

The base is silver plum and the frit is what I call color-shift opal.

Where is the tightrope smiley? :D
Carolyn

!ngridh
08-22-2004, 01:02 PM
It is the same thing....but I have my own.....I've been on a dark opal yellow/raku kick for several months and this frit behaves very much like that Moretti odd lot, even down to the temperature tricks. If it were only 104..... :crying:

is this a BE frit?

OK now I have to find the opal shift! that is gorgeous...can you tell me who makes that?

The base is silver plum and the frit is what I call color-shift opal.

Where is the tightrope smiley? :D
Carolyn

bluhealer
08-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Ingrid, I just PM'd you.
:)
Carolyn

Leevite
08-23-2004, 12:07 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2004/30368-ne4ad.JPG[/QUOTE]

Those are magnificent beads. (Can drool short out a keyboard??)

kybeadmaker
08-23-2004, 12:19 AM
These beads are a dark silver plum base and a reduction frit stringer...but I don't know which reduction frit because I just grabbed one out of the jar. Some of it reduced to a gold color, some to copper, and some stayed a deep tealish blue.

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks Nan for that wonderful compliment!!! The set is called "Nefertari", It sure is an elegant color to work with.
~Suzy~

Kimberly Affleck
08-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Beautiful beads everyone! BEAUTIFUL!
I found I got nice reduction with the Dark Silver Plum when I used an OXIDIZING FLAME!!! The reduction flame took away the metallic. Figures it would be just the opposite of what I was used to doing to get metallic effects! I'm working with a baraccuda if it makes a diiference. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Since I am using an oxidizing flame to get a metallic effect, I it isn't a reduction. Sorry.....

!ngridh
08-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Beautiful beads everyone! BEAUTIFUL!
I found I got nice reduction with the Dark Silver Plum when I used an OXIDIZING FLAME!!! The reduction flame took away the metallic. Figures it would be just the opposite of what I was used to doing to get metallic effects! I'm working with a baraccuda if it makes a diiference. :)

You know that makes perfect sense, Kimberly...I can't get the metallic that way either. I have to let it cool and then re-introduce at the upper edge of the flame...my only problem is that I need to remember to use it on a light bead...on amethyst you only see the shine at an angle...light blue transparent is a nice base...I have some around here somewhere...will get a pic by tomorrow ;-)

Kimberly Affleck
08-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Ingrid,
I have to say, I have a hard time working this glass WITHOUT getting metallic. I have one bead that the metallic was so heavy, the surface of the bead became very "etched" looking. I don't think it was devitrification, although it could have been as some of the behavior of this glass is reminicent of 254. Nice effect, though. I get better reactions when there is a lot of the Silver Plum showing on the surface. Large areas seem to react more readily that smaller areas. Does this make sense? I DO love this glass. I just bought some more from Frantz! Fun, fun glass.

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Kimberly!! You know we NEED a photo!!! I Love your beads!! Pretty Please with sugar on top???
~Suzy~

Kimberly Affleck
08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Okay. Not my best beads, but hopefull the photos show the effect I got with the Silver Plum. Yes, I know. They are tiny beads! Ack!!!!!!!!!!!! What was I thinking?!?!?!?!

nicker
08-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Kim, those are awsome! I just love the colors you can get out of this!

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Oh Kimberly!! They are beautiful! I love the silver with the aqua especially! It really can go with warm or cool colors but I think I like it best with the cool tones. My hand seems to give it a bronze color more than the silver.
Thanks for posting!
~Suzy~

firemonkey
08-24-2004, 12:04 AM
I love the beads in this thread! Different color combinations give such a variety of looks.
I posted these in S&T - just noticed this thread.
Rose (TwistNglass) gave me some Dk Silver Plum and I've been having some fun with it. Stringers only- I want it to last!
All moretti-Some silver, copper, raku frit.

Kimberly Affleck
08-24-2004, 12:10 AM
I love the beads in this thread! Different color combinations give such a variety of looks.
Rose (TwistNglass) gave me some Dk Silver Plum and I've been having some fun with it. Stringers only- I want it to last!

Those are just fabulous! Puts my work to shame! Ahhhhhhhhhhh. You have just lit a fire!

nicker
08-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Good Grief those are lovely. Sheesh I have to play more mine don't look that nice!

firemonkey
08-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Hey! Thanks Kimberly and Nicole! :wave:
My mottos....
burn, baby, burn :evil:
It's all about the fun... :D

Jo-Del
08-24-2004, 02:15 AM

Just love it, I just got samples of this glass and off to the torch, have not been in wc for a few weeks, But you guys have me going!! how awesome, have to go play with this stuff!!!!! wild and awesome work all the way through this forum!!!

rhapsodyfirebeads
08-24-2004, 02:15 AM
Holy Flame Woman!!! Those are so great!!!! WOW!!!!

~Suzy~

Elena
08-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Here is a few more I played with. the other colors are handmade pastel purple, vetrofond opal white,copper green.
I found it really stays put,unless with ivory,and heated the heck out of !
It does give a beautiful Raku effect,I keep coming back to this thread hoping to find more beauties!! And learning the tricks... And I am ..you all are AMAZING!!! This new color is really becoming to your work!!‹
Keep the photos coming!! This is fun stuff!!
REMEMBER, to always have fun!
Elena‹

isle-of-cats
08-24-2004, 08:17 AM

Holly, those are freakin' incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

scupltorgirl
08-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Amazing beads, Firemonkey!!!

I love the shapes -- and the stringer work is superb (The rainbow sheen on the stringer work is sooooo lovely).

creativespirit
08-24-2004, 02:51 PM
I really like the metal look to the beads, they are very dark on their own, so I used them as stringers with Dark Violet.

Peace
Wendy :)

Jo-Del
08-24-2004, 09:24 PM
I made some with the new colors, Not as nice as all of your's, But i was pretty happy with. Tonight I'm going to try some gold and silver fuming on them!!

Monique

I was so excited to see al the awesome beads!!!

Jo-Del
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
how come my pictures look so yucky and everyone else's are nice and clear????????

EchoTantuli
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
OOOOH! LIKEY-LIKE!!! :D Is there anywhere I can get some? Very pretty glass, but even better artists, have made this one I definitely need to add to my collection!! :D
-Echo :)

Kimberly Affleck
08-24-2004, 10:09 PM
I got mine from Frantz Art Glass in Shelton, WA. Give them a call!

EchoTantuli
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
YAY!!! :clap: I got just ordered some! It wont get here until next week, what was that they say...Patience is a virtue? ;) I'm sure this stuff will be gone quickly, it is so pretty! :)
-Echo :)

GardenGirl1002
08-25-2004, 10:30 PM
I don't have any pics of the beads I've made with this glass, although I just love it. It really reminded me of an iridescent finish on a Bullseye sheet glass I have. It's so fun. I just had to reply because Wendy and I had the exact same idea -- I also used a base of dark violet with the dark silver plum as stringers. I did the opposite thing on smaller beads for spacers. I thought it looked great! I love the effect of the glass - how fun! I can't wait to see what everyone figures out about this glass. Thanks for the thread!!
Kristen :)

quill
08-25-2004, 10:51 PM
I got yum-yum plum-

Kimberly Affleck
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
GASP, THUD!!!

quill
08-26-2004, 12:13 AM
(Looking around.) Something fell?

If that was about my beads, Kimberly, I am very flattered!

imlettengo
08-26-2004, 12:23 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!!! Need help getting off the floor, Kimberly??? If you keep that up, we'll have to tie you in your chair! :evil:
And Nan...if you have same model keyboard that I have, you should be ok. I've been drooling on mine since I found this place! :envy: yep, yep, use a case of paper each time I come here. 'course eBay and websites do me in ,too. lol ...later

Peace

Kimberly Affleck
08-26-2004, 02:09 PM
(Looking around.) Something fell?

If that was about my beads, Kimberly, I am very flattered!

Yes!! (she says, picking herself up off of the floor). I really love those!! What size are they?

quill
08-26-2004, 03:12 PM
A lot smaller than the picture!
About 8mm by 14mm each.

mtbarr
08-27-2004, 12:56 PM
I can appreciate why Kimberly fell all over Linda's beads. They are really booful. They will be permanently printed in my "Wanna Do Someday" binder which is fastly becoming "Volume III" in my "Library of Beads". Yes, the paper suppliers and inkjet producers love this website!

!ngridh
08-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Oh goodie Linda...... don't forget that I am moving in with you!!!!!!!!!

quill
08-28-2004, 01:48 AM
Oh goodie Linda...... don't forget that I am moving in with you!!!!!!!!!
Alright but remember, you have to clean all my beads & I have been making lots of beads lately.