PDA

View Full Version : sex in the marketplace * ink drawing

jasper
10-14-2001, 05:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2001/heinrich_sexinthemarketplace.jpg

in the upper corner, there is a person in a chair smoking with an umbrella drink. The mailbox is marked 'male' and there is a for sale sign.

I don't think you can quite make it out this reduced.

ink on paper, 9 x 12 inch
j*

ZOTMA
10-14-2001, 06:07 PM
love that golden road to unlimited devotion (promotion, whatever)
sizzle'in
gunna paint it? the ink is right in itself (as you must know, like with Mabelline it was great both ways)

kelly
10-14-2001, 07:45 PM
Provacative as usual J....Now, as a SMW I wanna know what it is about.....

Backlash is hell..

mame
10-14-2001, 08:29 PM
You've got the most important ingredient. Imagination. With that you can go any where you want. Kudos.

cagathoc
10-15-2001, 10:27 AM
I am having trouble reading it - maybe scans of each corner would help? I can't decode the message.

jasper
10-15-2001, 10:37 AM
zotma- your comments are always right one! thanks, sister! As to painting, "The Perfectionist" is the next of my satires to be painted, this one may or may not make it to canvas, we'll see!

kelly- ahh, meaning ... what a slippery eel. I would think you of all people could read into a painting ... but, here goes-

burning sex (with no face and costing money- see coin slot fee-male) aimed with arrow at faceless, amputated (not whole) target. Guy in the distance (orchestrator of the activities, smoking, drinking) is collecting his mail (payments/male) and selling his house before blame can be placed. The sun is another breast. The rabbit is a double visual metaphor fear/excessive procreation without regard to love. there is an earthworm in the legless man's shadow that you can't make out here- he is me, watching over and sinking back in to the ground. The earthworm is always me whenever you see him in a satire.

I don't think this one is well thought out enough to warrant being called a satire, but whatever ...:D

mame- imagination, yeah, dig it! and thanks!

j*

jasper
10-15-2001, 10:40 AM
cindy- I missed you while posting! here is a detail of the house/ seller ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2001/detail_sexinthemarket.jpg

I don't think this one is very clear, so don't feel bad if it doesn't click!

j*

kelly
10-16-2001, 09:49 AM
Jasper,

Well thought out satire may be better for some but I prefer this kind of subconscious purge. Much more interesting and....disturbing.

You gave some text...I see lots more subtext.

K

AmyH
10-16-2001, 12:30 PM
these are not my fav work of yours. I see ink work, like the schiele, and wonder why your ink work in these does not have the same confidence (not the same style) just the same confidence.

Also, I have to wonder, is the satire rooted in anger, despising the "marketplace"? Doesn't seem so. Seems like you had an idea and drew it, without feeling any particular way about it.

There is a lot of symbolism (?) that I cant understand (if your trying to convey a particular idea, it should be clear). If you are just scribbling things that pop in your head, disregard.

The sun breast (?) I dont see a breast. If you purposefully tried to make it a breast, it should be seen, by us, as a breast, if you just drew it, and it happened to look like a breast, and you realized it later, again different story.

Guess I am tryin to say, i can't see your motivation coming through in your drawing, like I did in your schiele study. They seem like your thinking them out, then executing. is that correct? Or are they just kinda falling out of you?

amy

reynolds
10-17-2001, 02:09 AM
nicely outside the box, i like to see art like this, thanks so much for posting.

jasper
10-17-2001, 11:06 AM
amy- I hope you don't mind an indepth answer to your post- the answers may not mean much but the questions are priceless, thanks for asking ...

Originally posted by AmyH
these are not my fav work of yours.

do you mean all my satires? or just this one piece?

I see ink work, like the schiele, and wonder why your ink work in these does not have the same confidence (not the same style) just the same confidence.

Honestly, the Schiele piece felt like a breakthrough for me, so perhaps confidence is something I only taste from time to time at this point in my art.

Why? I'd say I'm more comfortable working from something I love than something I don't. I love Schiele. this drawing was made while I was in life drawing studio- I didn't like the model, so I drew this instead of doing what I should have.

Also, I have to wonder, is the satire rooted in anger, despising the "marketplace"? Doesn't seem so.

Not anger towards the marketplace, anger towards the bar crowd I've encountered recently here in kc. "Sex in the Bar" would've worked for a title, too.

Seems like you had an idea and drew it, without feeling any particular way about it.

You are right- as I was drawing, I told myself to quit worrying about coherence, and just draw the visual metaphors that sprang to mind. The first thing allen(husband) said is 'what's that supposed to say?' :D

There is a lot of symbolism (?) that I cant understand (if your trying to convey a particular idea, it should be clear). If you are just scribbling things that pop in your head, disregard.

I was just scribbling things that popped into my head, but I would prefer that jumble come out well! hehehe. I still like to think about what I've done, even if it is after, here, instead of before as usual.

What I am working on is developing a system of symbolism that is mine. I've deliberately found many symbols, but I wanted to draw without thinking for a bit to see what else would come out. I'll probably only take the arrows from this (the worm has been on the list for a long time, so he'll stay too).

The sun breast (?) I dont see a breast. If you purposefully tried to make it a breast, it should be seen, by us, as a breast, if you just drew it, and it happened to look like a breast, and you realized it later, again different story.

I deliberately drew the sun to be a breast. Point taken. The rest of the piece and the description I gave kelly was largely after the fact philosophizing. I was mostly just thinking "sickness and target". Perhaps that would be a better title.

Guess I am tryin to say, i can't see your motivation coming through in your drawing, like I did in your schiele study. They seem like your thinking them out, then executing. is that correct? Or are they just kinda falling out of you?

This one just fell out. Again, I would not present this piece with my other satires. The others are very well planned, down to the last strap on the cat-o-nine-tails. They are also my first serious pen work, so I'm just starting on experimenting with finding a style I like and that is open enough to carry me for a long time. I am working on incorporating the drawing style (and certainly confidence ;)) I got with the schiele into them.

Why I do the satires is another good question. Everyone I see face to face hates them. *shrug* Some people have prozac, I have satire.

I'll save that for my journals, though :D

geez! thanks for indulging me, if you got this far!

later, and thanks amy,

jeanette*

jasper
10-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by kelly

You gave some text...I see lots more subtext.

K

I like that. thanks.

reynolds- thanks for looking, glad you like. what box? hehehe

jeanette*

reynolds
10-17-2001, 11:14 AM
wow great answer, james hillman says that we have to live every symbol of a myth and you have taken that a step further and are doing that plus making the myth and symbol yours, you would have loved the school that i am finishing up at. anyway, good work and i mean on paper and off:cool:

AmyH
10-17-2001, 12:17 PM
hey j

Your other satire worked better imo. they were clear to me. this is kinda fuzzy, perhaps its the format (computer). this also seems less comical, which i see as more allegorical(symbols, morals, not particularly funny) than satirical/funny.

lol, by your motivation, I didnt mean I want an explanation, I meant; whatever heartfelt emotion/expirience causing you to pursue these images does not show, ie I dont register any anger or sadness from them, just kinda matter of fact "did you know" statements. Now that is neither here nor there, good nor bad, it is just an observation. Seems it may be long past things are being looked back on, or things expirienced via others you love, and not direct, would mean less emotional stuff mixed in, than say, if your were drawing out of a current upset/tumultuos happening. make sense?

anyhow, cause for good discussion is always thumbs up.

thanks

amy