PDA

View Full Version : my mixture is too shiny for my liking

Pilan
10-14-2001, 06:53 PM
OKay, set aside the wonderful discovery of damar, stand oil & gum turp mixture, what am I doing wrong because its too shiny.

I find that my mixture is creating a more shiny layer than what I really want. It goes on super creamy and luscious and I get the blending easability like I want but, more shiny than my desire.

Can someone help me. The mixture I am using is 1 pt damar varnish, 1 part, stand oil and 3 parts artist gum turpentine. I put two tiny drops of cobalt drier in it. Don't really know if that does anything to the shiny part.

I also have a mixture of 1part damar, 1part linseed, 3 parts artist gum turpentine I use.

Pilan

sarkana
10-15-2001, 11:59 AM
most natural resins (like damar) are pretty shiny when dry. my glazing medium almost glares at me.

i varnish my painting with matte varnish when they are finished, which mitigates most of this effect. matte varnish is damar varnish with melted beeswax added. you can make this yourself by melting a little beeswax into your damar, but this mixture is also available readymade.

for a matte effect during the painting process, you could try using some beeswax in your mixture. it'll definitely matte any paint. however, it really depends how you paint, because too much beeswax can weaken your paint film and interfere with drying times.

you can also try adjusting the lights in your studio so there is not so much shine. also, you could decrease the amount of damar varnish in your mix and maybe add a little more stand oil. this will also slow drying time.

Verdaccio
10-15-2001, 12:01 PM
Pilan:

The ingredients that are causing shinyness are the Damar and the Stand Oil. You CAN make this mix more mat by introducing some wax, but I am unsure on the amounts. Wax will effect the coat strength. Perhaps someone else can help...

Titanium
10-15-2001, 01:41 PM
Pilan ,

I am not sure what your really doing so I
post this with much reservation.

You can obtain glaze like effects by -

[1 ] Using Grumbracher's transparentiser gel.
Add a bit of this to any colour and it goes
more transparent.
[ I believe it is just Alumina Hydrate and Oil ]

[2 ] Using naturally translucent pigments .
The new Translucent Iron Oxides for example.
Other pigments - Terre Verte , Sienna and so on.

[3] Rule of Nail .

If you apply a mix of medium/paint to a canvas
and you can see your finger/nail reflected in it
at 1/2 inch , then you are using too much medium.
More pigment needed.

[ 4 ] The cobalt drier is to dry the top of the coat
and will artificially age the top of the coat so many weeks
in so many hours.
Helps keep the Dammar Varnish in place , so you can work
over the dried surface , without re-dissolving what is
underneath.

Use too much cobalt drier and the coat will wrinkle.

[ 5 ] Do not use normal linseed oil in mediums , it will
yellow badly . Stand Oil or walnut oil is better , lower
in yellowing , with time.

[ 6 ] Glazes are pre-planned , not a fixer-upper.
Do not just stain the glaze medium .
Study Rubens to understand this.
Best of luck ,
Titanium

* Using cobalt drier , stand oil and a little walnut oil to
thin , you can also create a glaze medium . Resin is
not needed.
Use very sparingly though.

Remember - PIGMENT RICH / oil poor.