PDA

View Full Version : Red Shadows

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2004/23609-Redshadows.jpg

This was my evening... and yes, those shadows are RED! It was a fun one to play with. So, now I need to get away from it and see what it needs. C&C wanted! 16x22", La Carte, brownish color.

Oh, and remember--you all encouraged me to play with doing these loose pieces! So...It's your fault! :D

Deborah

binkie
08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
This is great! I love the colors!! It looks so rich and vibrant. Makes me want to take a trip to the desert and watch the sunset.

gwen

chewie
08-18-2004, 11:03 PM
absolutely inspiring!!! wonderful work, i wanna be like you when i grow up!!

SweetBabyJ
08-18-2004, 11:10 PM
I can attest to red shadows- I've seen 'em. Nice, Deborah- you're staying true to the place and time while being nicely loose.

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks, all of you. I'm gonna let this one mellow for a bit but you're really encouraging me! I'm still open for suggestions, however. :p

I may do a few of these and 'put up a show' for myself, so that I can see what's happening. If I do, I'll put it up here too. Having so many sets of eyes is so helpful.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Yikes, you are making me miss these deserts so much - but I have to put in my 2 cents - although I know that mountain is probably blue/purple, in this painting it is discordant and leaps right out at me instead of receding. Maybe some of the same red lightly "glazed" into the blue?

CarlyHardy
08-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Check the value and color in your foreground bush and the middle ground bush. I think you could use a bit more texture and color in the closest bush. This is a bit picky but the shape of the foreground bush across the top follows the line of the hillside. Breaking it up a bit with some 'land holes' would lead the eye in better.

I love the vivid color in this!! Wish I could come out and paint with you sometime :)
carly

Dyin
08-19-2004, 12:59 AM
this time I say keep the vibrancy of the mountain..it sings to me. And love the red shadows, they're a cool red so it works. I like the soft backwards Z comp too :D

MarshaSavage
08-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Deborah,
This is great! Love the colors. This is exactly what I am also trying to do -- get a little looser but stay true to the essence of the scene -- the feelings you have when looking!

I agree with Carly about the line of the foreground bush being just under the line of the hill -- it looks a little off! I realize these bushes look just as they are, but . . . I usually try to not have something enclosed, but jutting above the line of the hill just a smidgen! Don't you just love "smidgen"? Of course, these are just my ideas -- the painting has to conform to yours.

And if Carly comes to paint with you, can I come too? I go where she goes!!!! I'm not missing a thing!!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-19-2004, 07:38 AM
See Deborah, if you come east next year, there will be loads of people who will want to paint with you! Of course, we don't have red deserts - but we could find something!

Dark_Shades
08-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Excellent..... love it............. :clap: ... again, those colours.... just what I need to cheer and warm me up on this bleak lunchtime ...

this is definately in my fav's folder for you

paloma
08-19-2004, 08:30 AM
First I want to say how much I like your work - you are an inspiration to us here Deborah. Another thing- or may be I haven't seen enough yet but you seem to be always trying out new ways & techniques to convey your ideas :clap:
This piece is exciting to look at - you can feel the heat there! One little suggestion though. You could perhaps put more texture in the foreground bush - seems to have the same amount of detail as those further away & a little touch of red in the mountain would enhance the overall image- it does seem to jump out a bit.
Cheers, Alexandra

crumbedbrains
08-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Hey Dee,
Just looked at Julie's reddish painting and I made the comment . . and it equally applies here . . . that you'd do wonders with our Aussie outback scenes with colours like this. Great stuff.
Cheers
Crumby ;)

judwal
08-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I agree...a little red in that purple mountain and it will all tie together nicely. Well done Deborah.

Tammar
08-19-2004, 02:41 PM
These colors are absolutely yummy! I can feel the warm sunshine through my monitor!

This website is making me re-think everything that I thought I knew. If you told me to paint red shadows, I would have thought you were nuts. I've got a long way to go with learning how to use color. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this Deb! :D

bnoonan
08-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey Deborah - this sure looks like it was fun to paint. It's magnificent in those rich hues and yet I wonder if it dispells the theory of blue in shadows... maybe not.

Love it - think you should add to this series of work.

Oh and are there any brilliant yellow greens in the highlights on those bushes? If not, give it a go!

Barb

:clap: :clap: :clap:

DominicM
08-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Deb

Love the colours and composition..

Keep them cominig

Paula Ford
08-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Deborah,

This is so striking!! The colors definately work for me! LOVELY :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

Khadres
08-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Another stunning ptg.! I enjoy seeing your "experiments" so much because they're built on experience with the basic truths and lead into new frontiers by USING those "rules" to your advantage. Looks like you had fun with this at the same time too!

Deborah Secor
08-19-2004, 10:40 PM
You guys are too much! I noodged (not nudged..noodged..different movement) a little of the bush over that straight line and added a smidgey of lavender purple into the mountains to make them more interesting--but put more of the original blue back over so it's a hint--and took it to my class today. It was a hit! I was trying to get my students to see how you can push the color (well, maybe sorta more of a hard shove) and distill shapes. They did great!!! I'll get a shot in the daylight tomorrow for you to see. Thanks!

Deborah

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 12:29 AM
This had to almost give you an adrenaline rush......sailing into uncharted waters so boldly,... feeling unteathered to the security of previous work...I'll catch the 2nd photo tomorrow!

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 02:01 PM
As I looked at the photo of this painting that I posted the other night I realized that I had pushed the reds too much. It was a nighttime pic and overly red. I shot a new photo outdoors this morning and set the two up in Photoshop, with the original painting beside the monitor, so I could check the color. Here's the far more accurate color one:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/23609-RedShadows2.jpg
(second photo version)

Now, I'm fairly happy with this one as it is. However, I really like the red in that big shadow on the right in the first 'bad' shot! Here it is again, so you can easily compare:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/23609-Redshadows.jpg
(first photo version)

The question I have for you is, do you think I should leave the shadow as it is (second version) or red it up considerably (first version)? I know it's tough to call color on our monitors, but just generally what do you think? I can handle the decision making, and will make up my own little mind, but I'd like to know what you think, too!

Thanks!!
Deborah

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 02:11 PM
I agree with you...I think I like the bush shadow in the first photo version better, but it is such a fine line decision, either way, you've got a real winner. (just an opinion, thanks for asking :)

Dyin
08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
I far prefer the reddish shadows in the second (original post). I also like the mountain better...more lavender than sharp blue. but I like the bush colors more in the newer version. I have my monitor calibrated but the first pic is waaaay dark, like the contrast is really high and I get no detail in the mountain and hardly any in the shade.

Deborah Secor
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

Sue, I am having a lot of trouble withthe oversaturation of the dark colors in my photos. I've just started using Photoshop Elements and haven't gotten get used to the controls I have. Every day I discover something new, it seems! I may be able to 'twek' this new one further to show the neat colors and details there...but maybe not.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2004, 04:17 PM
I like elements in both - I like the first photo version with the redder shadow on the right, but l like that you had some of the same blues in that shadow that are in the mountain the back in the second version.

I like the bushes in the newer version too Sue!

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Love the colors in this... great job Deb.

Colleen :D:D

judwal
08-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I like the top one with the dark blue mountain and the orange reddish hillside. Love the use of complementary colors here. It's crisp and clean.

Artistammy
08-21-2004, 10:59 AM
I agree with Dyin. I like the bushes in the first one but love the color of the mountain & shadows in the second. It's really interesting to see the differences. Great painting!