PDA

View Full Version : Cahill and Oster bead!

tulips
08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
This past weekend I did the Down the Street Bead Show in Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC. Yes, people will even come out in a hurricane to buy beads! Even if there is no power in the building, trust me, they will buy beads by flashlight. I couldn't believe it but they brought cash so God Bless them each and every one! Anyway.....I just had to show you the goodies I had to take home with me! The first bead is by Patti Cahill. You know, the lady that when I said how happy I was to meet such a famous bead maker and she looked me right in the eye and said that she's not that famous.....yeah, right! Her stuff is just amazing! Just when you start to think that hey, you are getting pretty good at this bead making thing and then to be put next to her! Well, then you start to think, hey, I really stink at this! I know, practice, practice, practice! So, I HAD to take this home with me! The second bead is by Lois Oster of Wolf Song Designs. I was really intrigued by this bead. She told me it is basically 1/2 a hollow worked off the end of the mandrel. I make lots of hollows so I might give this one a try someday! What will I do with these beads? Who knows? They will probably go into the studio for inspiration. I just had to share them with you, I wouldn't want to be drooling all by myself!

Krista
Who has now started an official bead collection.... :)

Helen Simon
08-19-2004, 12:45 AM
They're lovely, Krista, but what we all wanna' know is, did you do good? love, Helen

LadyArowana
08-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Who has now started an official bead collection.... :)

Congrats on the show and the beginning of a "collection". Fiona

tulips
08-19-2004, 08:32 AM
I think I did good. It was a 2 day show and after following a few of the threads here I think I did well. I DID do 10 times my table fee, but just barely. Of course next time I will do more! I picked up lots of tips and know next time to wear more comfortable shoes! I was exhausted by the end of the second day! It was a lot of fun to do, although it was a little hectic because I only had a week to get prepared. I HAD planned on going to the show anyway so it was fun to get to walk around a little and see everybody else's stuff and meet the other vendors. One thing I kept thinking is that people will buy ANYTHING and next time I hope to have some more expensive beads available. I know I could have sold them several times over! Oh, and wear really comfortable shoes! I had what I thought were comfy ones on but my feet were killing me at the end. One of the vendors (who travel this circuit for a living) had some rubber mats they put down. I might check into getting those. I think it would have helped a little.

Becky Mason
08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Krista,

Sounds like you had a really good experience at this show. I think that the Down The Street Bead Show also comes to Orlando, and I might want to get into it this year. How many vendors were there? How many beads did you go to the the show with? How did you find out about the show? What was the table fee and what did they provide you? If you don't mind sharing, I'm sure there are other curiousity seekers out there besides me.

Thanks

Becky Mason
Orchid Blossom Beads

tulips
08-19-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes, I think I did have a good experience with this show. Even in the middle of a hurricane! Maybe because of that? I know that anybody that walked through that door really wanted to be there! You should do the show if you can. They advertise so that really helps. Also, unlike the "craft" shows I've done before this was all about BEADS! 90% of the people by the table knew what lampworking was and that saved a lot of explaining. I think in the end there were 29 vendors but several had more than one table so it looked pretty big when you walked into the room. The promoter told my husband that he thought he had approximately 50 vendors (at least that's what hubby told me) so I don't know if he was mistaken or if due to the hurricane a lot of people pulled out. They go up and down the East coast and I know several of them are from Florida so that wouldn't surprise me a bit. I don't know how many beads I went with, what I had and a week's worth of working my butt off! I really needed more I think and next time hopefully I'll have more. I found out about the show 2 ways. I saw the advertisement in the magazine and I had planned to go to the show. I went on vacation and didn't think anything more about it. I got back from vacation and one of my client stores said where have I been? So, I worked for a few weeks and delivered to them Thursday. When I delivered I found out they had taken a table and they were just sure that I had too. When they found out I hadn't they sort of hounded me all day until I gave in and emailed the promoters and that led to a few phone calls back and forth and Friday morning I found out that I was going to do the show! My table fee was $175. It included an 8 foot table (I think that was provided by the venue, not them), electrical access (no extra charge) and it was a nice space with close bathrooms and good air-conditioning and lighting. I don't know what their other spaces look like, I imagine that the fees vary depending on the location. My client store said their tables were $225 so I obviously got the "artist" rate! :) I can't vouch for what will be provided in any other place but for here it was nice. I'm sure if you go to the Down the Street Bead Show website all the particulars will be on there. One thing that I liked was that at the end of the first day you could leave your stuff and it was locked up pretty tight. The guy who opened the doors for us in the morning told my husband that the promoter walked the property the night before double checking that all the doors were locked. Now, I did put all my beads away in my case and take them home as did a few others but the majority of people just threw a sheet over their stuff and went home. I was able to leave all my racks, etc (I did take my cash register home too) so set-up the next day took all of 15 minutes! How nice was that?