PDA

View Full Version : S&T Thursday, August 19, 2004

Andee
08-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi everybody,

Another late or very very early S&T from me! :D

I bought this cute little snail shell silver pendant a couple of hours ago, and I just KNEW I had to make a ring of it. And a matching one with a similar, REAL snail shell. Now I can wear each of them on its own or both together. I have no idea how fragile the real shell will be, but I have seen shells (rounder ones, tho) being used in rings and apparently they don't break so easily, so I'll have to wait and see...

Wishing you all a good night and sweet dreams...!

Jacinthe
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Andee - I have to say that the way those shells work together make it really something extra special. How did you attach them? Do you make your own rings?

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah (the one on vacation and the one who should also be in bed at 1am, but is waiting for the beadies to soak a little while longer in the vermiculite before she turns off the light bulb)

TheBlueBetween
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Ok Andee, this is now borderline cheeky of you - it's only 4:02 Pacific Time Wednesday here - too early for a Thursday Show and Tell!

Though of course *I'm* not complaining - eye candy is eye candy and I really like the combo of real vs. metal shell rings - great set!. How in the world you throw together a ring in an hour or two is beyond me though. I really must figure out how to step on the gas a bit!

DonnaBee
08-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh Andee! That set, the two together, is just perfect!!!!!!!!!! I love your way with materials and the pieces you post for us!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

beclectic
08-18-2004, 10:41 PM
I have to agree with everyone else. Those rings together are something special. Sort of Nature & Technology, two things that need to be brought into harmony. I could go on and on with this theme but your rings say it all.

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Three thumbs up from the resident beach bum! I totally dig that ring combo.
I'd like to order 2 sets, if you please. ;)

~Danielle

McDuck
08-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Very nice Andee! THey are a hit! and yes, how did you get the real shell to stay put!

-Mary

Barrie
08-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Andee!! Positively scrumptious together!! If you're worried about the integrity of the real shell, fill it with epoxy resin before you set it on the ring, and it should stnad up to a ton of wear and tear. That particular style of shell though, is quite thick so should be durable on it's own. Time will tell I guess!!!

Andee
08-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Good morning everybody!

Wow, you all really are the best, it was so great waking up and returning to so many nice comments on my rings! :)

Pam - sorry for the cheekyness, but it WAS after midnight my time! ;) As for the ring-in-two-hours: with these it's easy, the wire doesn't need a lot of sawing, there's only little soldering involved and they don't need so much time for polishing, so... ;)

Sarah - yes, I make my own rings. The silver shell is attached by soldering, for the real shell I soldered a small piece of silver to the ring and used 2-component-thingie to glue the shell to it.

Danielle - I would love to make more things with this combo, like earrings or such, but alas - I don't have more of the natural shells that go with the silver ones, and only one more silver shell... So, no orders possible I'm afraid! ;)

Barry - thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind if ever I make something like this again! :)

GardensOnGlass
08-19-2004, 06:45 AM
Just beautiful, Andee, but then again, I love just about everything you make!

Oskadis
08-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Beautiful Andee. Your jewelry is always so refined :)

Well ... almost decided against showing my work today - but oh well. It's meant for Ebay anyway and I decided against putting too much materials into what I sell there for the moment (read the frustration between the lines? :( ).

It's an elvish style circlet, crown etc... German silver wire and a faceted acrylic lentil as focal. Aluminium chains at the back. All very lightweight ...

Ah yeah. The greenery in my background is my recently "almost tree free" garden :D

McDuck
08-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Karen, that is so nice. I love how it looks like a butterfly in the front! :clap:
Mary

Andee
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Lori & Karen - thanks! :)

Karen - beautiful headpiece, nice and delicate! The "tail" of the butterfly reminds me a bit of Arwen's pendant in LOTR, I've always liked that "curved" form!

Andee
08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
I've got another piece to show today - a very chunky charmbracelet called "a walk on the beach", featuring amazonite, turquoise, aquamarine, freshwater pearls, shells, silver crystals and my lampwork (some of the beads are from the times when I was a total newbie at the torch) - two of the lampwork beads have a few grains of sand from my favourite beach in them.

Where's all YOUR work, ladies? :)

Nanners
08-19-2004, 12:53 PM
ooh yea all this stuff is gorgeous!!! REALLY lovely stuff ^.^

I have a question Andee, about those shell rings....how did you attach them? I'm curious!

Andee
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks Hannah and welcome! Here's what I already wrote about the rings: "The silver shell is attached by soldering, for the real shell I soldered a small piece of silver to the ring and used 2-component-thingie to glue the shell to it."

MadameKali
08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Well, here's a poor-quality WIP picture.. lol

The pendant is my first "real" wire wrap--I know, it's not great, but I think it's okay for a first try :) the thing I wrapped is a geode slice, and it looks like a funky slice of carnelian.. which I have been digging on of late. The chain is elf-weave, and I'm sad that you can't see its beauty in the picture--elfweave is a gorgeous chain. This one is kind of bulky, so I'm going to make a choker out of it for my little pendant there.

McDuck
08-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Susie, great work! I hate to wrap like that :rolleyes: love the chainmaille!

-mary

Oskadis
08-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Yummy bracelet Andee - and yummy pendant Susie. Love the wraps :)

You are right - the weave is not very visible, but I think I can kind of picture it. Am curious to see the finished item :)

Andee
08-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Susie - not too bad for your first wire wrap! :) And the chain maille looks great so far!!

bdswagger
11-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, here's a poor-quality WIP picture.. lol

The pendant is my first "real" wire wrap--I know, it's not great, but I think it's okay for a first try :) the thing I wrapped is a geode slice, and it looks like a funky slice of carnelian.. which I have been digging on of late. The chain is elf-weave, and I'm sad that you can't see its beauty in the picture--elfweave is a gorgeous chain. This one is kind of bulky, so I'm going to make a choker out of it for my little pendant there.

Elfweave, huh? I like that. Wish I had a way to solder. Neat pendant!
Leigh

BlindCaveFish
11-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Leigh, you don't have to solder to do elfweave. And if you tried, MAN, it would be hard!