PDA

View Full Version : Boston Terrier - Please, any advice or suggestions

binkie
08-18-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi All! I'm just about finished with the BT I did for a special friend (I know the farthest ear needs to be fixed). Is there any suggestions or advice you can offer???? I want my friend to be happy with it.

Also, I wonder about the background. I kinda like it the way it is, but my husband says it is not finished. What do you think???

Thanks,
gwen

K Taylor-Green
08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
I think your friend is going to be very happy with it, Gwen. As for the background, I think I would go ahead and extend it to the edges. You have it mostly covered as is. But that is a personal opinion. Great job on this!

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 05:12 PM
I agree, this should make your friend very happy. I think the background is a little too interesting as it is right now. It distracts from his face. I'd take it out to the edges and quiet the strokes with a bit more massing.

Good looking dog!

Deborah

Dark_Shades
08-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi Binkie....... Indeed your friend will love this... he's so cute ..... I too think you should extend the rest of the backgroun over the paper...... agree with Kate and Dee ....... just a little more and tis done :)

good job

Khadres
08-18-2004, 05:54 PM
He's adorable...I think your ptg. shows his personality better than the photo, too! Yep, schmoothe the background and fill the rest of the space with it...it really will have a more pro, finished look to it, I think. Just my opinion. Great job on this!

Artistammy
08-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Great job! I'm just starting one that will have 3 Boston terriers. I agree that it would be better to extend the background you've started. The terrier looks so cute. :clap:

lawsportraits
08-18-2004, 07:15 PM
I just have some teeny tiny suggestions. The eyes on your Boston Terrier look a bit flat, almost black and I'm having a hard time making out *his* left eye. Maybe it's the scan. Anyway, I'd add some burnt or raw umber to differentiate between pupils and iris. I'd also drop a dollop of sienna on the iris, just a smidgen below the pupil to give it a rounder, glassy look.

Heather

binkie
08-18-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions. You all are right, it looks better with the background extended.

Kate, Dee, DarkShades, I really appreciate the feedback. Sooz, thanks so much for for your encouagement. Heather, I was going to ask about the eye. I wasn't sure what to do to make it better. Thanks Heather, I'll go make the changes. Tammy, thanks and I'm really looking forward to seeing your BTs! I have 3 BTs and work with boston terrier rescue. They are wonderful little dogs.

Below is the finished background: (Just have to go back and make changes to the eyes and then I'm done ... I think :) )

Thanks Again!
gwen

Dark_Shades
08-19-2004, 08:18 AM
:wave: Perfect

mmdm
08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, I haven't posted in ages, but I zipped over for a quick peek and when I saw the title I had to take a look at this one. I'm a big Boston lover (got 2 myself) and this guy is a real cutie! You've really done an excellent job, especially on the modeling in the dark fur. To me, Bostons are difficult to paint because the modeling can get lost in the black areas. Softening the background color and extending it to the edges really helped to bring the focus in to the dog. Your friend is going to love this painting. I do!

binkie
08-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks Dawn! You have always been so helpful to this beginner. I truly appreciate it!!!

Thanks for your comments Melissa! I still don't have much self confidence, but yours and everyone's comments are helping me build some.

Melissa, a number of us in the BT group decided several years ago that BTs are like potato chips; you can't have just one. :D

gwen

SweetBabyJ
08-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Well done, Gwen- excellent rendering! You really paid attention to the photo on this and painted what you saw, rather than what you knew something was- hard to learn, but once you do, you can see the results, eh? Plus, it's easy to see you were working with something you really, really liked- that always helps.

Congratulations.

binkie
08-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks, Julie!! I think I am beginning to get the hang of this.

gwen

Artistammy
08-21-2004, 07:28 PM
I hope mine turn out as good as your's has! I haven't gotten far enough to take a photo yet but I will.

binkie
08-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Wow Tammy, that's quite a compliment! Thank you!! I know your BTs will be fabulous!

gwen