PDA

View Full Version : Apples in plastic bag

crumbedbrains
08-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey all,
OK . . . second painting back. Still have artists block and can't get motivated to paint much.
Haven't finished here . . just playing around . . copying idea from Andrew Hemingway for a bit of fun. Still need to put in a nail from which to hang the bag . . .and then background and cast shadow. Variety of pastels on Canson. Photo colours are not right but that's nothing new.
Cheers
Crumby

Dyin
08-18-2004, 10:18 AM
Well, this is a nice ref photo...but the paper you set it on looks pretty thin and crumpled on the edges...oh WAIT...this IS your painting! :p :D
Really...that does look like cheap paper, can't imagine how you got such great results...if I could paint like this when I wasn't motivated, well...I can't. :mad: :p
It looks great, can't wait to see how the cast shadow looks :clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-18-2004, 11:21 AM
I can't paint like that when I am motivated! :rolleyes: What can I say? Even unfinished, it looks good enough to eat.

Guillermo
08-18-2004, 11:32 AM
wwowwww :eek:

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I have so admired Andrew Hemingway's paintings like this one--but he has nothing on you! Seriously, this is beautiful. I can't wait to see the finish. Is it on Canson? Be sure to shoot a slide of it!

Best way to get through a block is to paint through it, I find, so you're on track. Keep at it.

Deborah

bnoonan
08-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi there,

Never a disappointment in opening your posts. Love the concept of this and especially like the way you rendered the plastic reflections and the colors of the apples. Well done and although you may feel like you're in a slump - this seems to show me you are well on your way out.

Fabulous!!! Barb :clap:

judwal
08-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow..realism to the max!

Khadres
08-18-2004, 12:44 PM
Fan-absolute-tastic! Wonderful work! Almost scares me to think of what you'll do when you're completely over your slump! Wow!

bogbeast
08-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Wow--if it didn't appear to be hanging in mid-air (no nail), I'd assume this was a photo!! Beautiful work!

prestonsega
08-18-2004, 01:19 PM
I can almost feel the weight of the apples as they stretch the thin plastic. You have created an historical record of our present day culture for future generations. Truly wonderful and enviable work!!!!

Dark_Shades
08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I love it as it is even now ..... :clap: ..... so cant wait to see what further wonders you magic ........ didnt you do a similiar for the Weekly Sketch..... loved that too .....

Crumby, this one is my utmost favourite of yours todate.... and all your others are pretty fantastic too ...... are you still working quicker on pieces now days?

meowmeow
08-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Sorry you are having blockage issues....but this doesn't look like it is having any issues at all. It's just wonderful...looking forward to the next report. I hope you are able to break out of your slump soon.

Sandy

binkie
08-18-2004, 05:22 PM
If your apples pastel is an example of artist's block, then I wish I could catch it!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

gwen

Kathryn Wilson
08-18-2004, 08:10 PM
I know when I see your name pop up in the forum that I am going to see something wonderful - you never disappoint! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CarlyHardy
08-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Are you sure this isn't an illusion....we just "think" we see a painting of a bag of apples. Right??!!!

I'm envious:D
carly

Artaholic
08-19-2004, 02:15 AM
It must be really toughto havea artist block like you do :evil: :clap: :clap:

Grasshopper
08-19-2004, 08:36 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS????

Sorry, didn't mean to yell, but sheesh, a block? You must be feeling bad about other things and think it's about your art life. Really, cuz it ain't happen' here. Fabulous. I'm blown away.

crumbedbrains
08-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey everyone,
Thanks so much for the kind comments . . . lots of them about my so-called artists block but it's true . . I have no idea what to paint next . .EXTREMELY frustrating coz I know I'd like to paint (I think) but I have no clear direction with my art . . . used to think I was going to be purely a wildlife artist but not even mildly interested in doing wildlife at the moment. Have done a couple of figure sketches and I'm starting to get a little interested in that but, again, not sure of things. Guess I'm looking for my niche (as every artist is) and thus can't bare to waste time on projects I'm not sure of . .so I just don't . . . which leads to NIL painting . . vicious circle I'm in. My personal situation doesn't help in all of this . .guess I'm just re-evaluating absolutely everything in my life wanting to get back on track.

Dyin and Dee and for others asking about the paper . .YES it's the smooth side of canson. Not my favourite paper but it was an old scrap I had lying around.

Dawn, Yes this was a quickie . . . probably about 8 hours all up.

OK I'll think I'll just crop the painting as shown and call it done coz I'm bored with this already!! . .normally 8 hours is just a warm up for me . .sheeeesh . .this is depressing!! LOL

Thanks all so much once again
Crumby :)

MarciaJane
08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Wow !... words fail me as usual.

I agree with Kat.. whenever I see you have posted in here I just KNOW its going to be something excellent. It seems you have done it again this time Crumby

Paula Ford
08-19-2004, 01:40 PM
wwowwww :eek:

DOUBLE WOW

no

TRIPLE WOW

:D Paula

nancymae
08-19-2004, 02:53 PM
I think that this is a truly lovely work....I have read a number of books on creativity and I don't think you are blocked, but from what you have described, I think you are in for a breakthrough or growing period. It is normal and unsettleing...because you don't know what is on the other side...just go with the flow and do the work that inspires you...whatever it may be!...and you will get through it and improve because of it.

I have always admired your beautiful work...like someone else said on this thread, just seeing your login name, I KNEW this would be eye popping!!

Keep on painting!
Nancy

E-J
08-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Crumby, this is fabulous! I can feel the weight of the apples and the tension they're creating in that bag. Look a little closer and I get hints of red and yellowy green in the plastic, reflections of the apple colours, rewarding my eye ... I think this is wonderful and can't wait to see it finished :)

Cherry Cola
08-19-2004, 05:54 PM
I just had to comment on this one, unfortuneatly I don't really have anything constructive to add other than applause :clap:

This is the realism that I strive to create with my art. Clearly, I have quite a ways to go; thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers!

khourianya
08-19-2004, 08:14 PM
These are truly amazing. I keep opening this thread just to see them again! You have made them seem so real..like you had gone to the grocery and then plunked the bag down in your studio on a piece of paper.

Bravo!

bnoonan
08-19-2004, 09:07 PM
I trust you will find the right area to focus on... until then - we truly feel like it's a treat to see your version of a quick sketch.

Lovely - truly lovely - had to come back for another look.

Barb

chookbrown
08-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Aaahhh the elusive apples... LOL.. Nice job but where's the ice??? jk.

Great job as usual cb. Get busy and stop scratching... ;)

Cheers, Chooky :D:D :wave:

gmc
08-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Cool!! Really cool.

geri

Dyin
08-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Crumby...here's an idea...how about something we'd never expect to see in a plastic bag??? could be very thought provoking :wink2:
What Chooky said is true...usually something like this means you need a change and it's like the gears bog down just a little before they kick in...but they will kick in, you just gotta try this, try that and then the eureka moment comes...I'll be here woohooing when it comes! :D

crumbedbrains
08-22-2004, 12:47 AM
Thanks again everyone for the kind comments . . . yes trying a few things here and there . . . . thinking about doing something wrapped in bubble wrap . . . fairly obscure so it makes the viewer try and figure out what it is . . mmm . .dunno . .wuld be difficult and that's what attracts me to it . .don't think anyone would ever buy it though. :wink2:
Cheers
Crumby

Dark_Shades
08-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Dawn, Yes this was a quickie . . . probably about 8 hours all up.

Crumby :)

Excellent Crumby ...... your quicker works are your best in my books, means you have extra time to do more to stun us with :D ..... dont forget, Im still available for lessons ha ha ha :wink2:

You really are a Master .... I adore your work

ElfeUra
09-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi,
your photorealistic style is incredible! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep on...
Rita