PDA

View Full Version : bone to pick

dexonsbabe
08-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok guys I have a bone to pick with this site.........how does anyone get any work done......since I found this site I have become completely addicted to it and by the time I have read all the threads and looked at all the great work dont have time to do my own......so I would be most grateful if you would all refrain from posting any new threads for a while lol.......no seriously I love this site and thanks to all who have given me advise and inspired me to tackle things I may not have keep up the good work :D :clap: :D :clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh dear, Lori. You have Wet Canvas Syndrome. The worst of it lasts about 3 monthes. You are here every spare minute, reading, learning, and laughing. It does calm down a bit after that. But you may as well be prepared. If you are a true WC addict, on your busiest days, you will be here at least twice a day!

prestonsega
08-17-2004, 11:08 PM
"by the time I have read all the threads and looked at all the great work dont have time to do my own......"

This is the reason I finally decided to upgrade to dsl from my dial up.....and I still find myself coming in more than 1x/day...gotta work on that ;)

SweetBabyJ
08-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Look at it this way: If you were in art school, you'd be putting the same amount of time into sitting in class listening to some boring instructor and trying to figure out the difference between tempera and encaustic by sight, and diagramming compositions which are pretty much ugly spotches of brownish tones.... Here, you get all of that- for free- without the boredom, and we even bring snacks.

Well, I do- but you gotta sit in the back row to share 'em.

Now go do your homework.

soap
08-17-2004, 11:40 PM
LOL..........I know the feeling.......been there........don **......still there......:D :D
(although sometimes life takes over whether you want to or not)

Khadres
08-18-2004, 02:17 AM
Yeah, it is bad. But....I also know for a fact that I wouldn't be getting what little I AM getting done if it weren't for the energy and inspiration I get from WC! I figure I might be spending a lot of time here, but what I'm getting out of it is well worth it. Still.....I AM going to have to sit myself down and iron out some sort of deal....like paint first and THEN WC! hmmmm....nah, that's asking too much! Well, I can try at least PART of the time! :rolleyes:

dexonsbabe
08-18-2004, 05:26 AM
lol at you guys......wouldnt be without this site now :clap: :clap:

Ruth Grinstead
08-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Lori that about sums it up, it is easier to control with pastels I find.

I belong to 2 forums the one I started with and WC and when I painted with watercolour it could take me a month to finish a small painting. Everytime I painted a wash I would go online whilst it dried and not return to painting for hours. I was becoming the slowest painter on the planet :D .

Ruth

bnoonan
08-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Lori - have to laugh - I know I've been there and am pretty sure most of the members can agree it's been pretty much the same for them. You become emotionally attached to folks posting (I frequently talk about my friends in Idado, England, Wales, New Mexico, Maine, Washington, Australia....etc.

And yet - don't give too much of your creative time away or else you'll regret it. It will take awhile but you'll eventually find a balance. (or not)

It's funny - I used to hire employees to go to work on expedition cruise ships and we'd have to warn them about culture shock because they were entering an intense environment for 6 months with some of the best people they'd every meet - but it would be all engrossing and difficult to adjust to. I find WC is almost like that at times - but plan on it lasting years...

Barb :)

bogbeast
08-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh, can I relate--half my "creative" time ends up being on line! but I'm learning a LOT, and also find myself talking about people all across the country (and world--wow!), being more aware of weather elsewhere, learning new terms (gobsmacked is my current fav!), seeing landscapes from all over....I just need to balance my time better LOL :D

Khadres
08-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, in a way....I agree with Barb....this is an entirely different and new experience for me (or was a few months ago) and it's an amazing phenomenon...mostly in a GOOD way. For what I lose in painting time I more than make up for in receiving motivation...just seeing how well everyone else is doing makes me eager to do well too. I'm also avoiding so many pitfalls I might've fallen into had I not had the folks here to warn me via their experiences and knowledge. The real kicker, however, is what I've learned TO do in a positive way. Before I got here, I was hesitant and almost afraid of the very materials I'd accumulated with such enthusiasm. WC! is quite possibly the best thing to happen to artists, beginner and otherwise, since tubed paints!

I'm gradually managing to make my rounds here faster so as to make more easel time, but I consider what I do here as a form of study most of the time and just plain nice comradeship otherwise. We all need that.

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 01:41 PM
That's it, Barb--an expedition cruise. See the wonders of pastel. View WIPs, read lengthy threads on how to paint cats and dogs and water and trees, learn how to scumble, paint a lily, skin tones, eyes, find out about paper and pastel brands, join the discussion on first shows, being creative, getting blocked. It's an expedition alright!

I have to literally set a timer. One half hour in the morning, one at night. Ha! Like that works...

Deborah

dexonsbabe
08-19-2004, 07:05 AM
You have all summed up how I feel even in the few weeks I've been here I have tried new things and marvelled at all your work and been encouraged to believe in myself........think I shall be here for many years to come :D

chookbrown
08-19-2004, 10:45 AM
I love coming here... it inspires me to do more work. I did have to quit cold turkey for a while there as I wasn't getting much done at all. I used to do mainly colored pencil but had always been curious about pastel. This is LINCOLN NEBRASKA and nobody teaches pastel (cept me now....LOL). I have learned most of what I know about pastel from this very forum .. I used to think pastel was something that was far beyond my capabilities.. so I have WC to thank for teaching me. And if you have a question someone, somewhere will know the answer.. You have to love the power of that!!

:wave: :D

CarlyHardy
08-19-2004, 11:50 AM
LOL!! I wish all the bone pickin' was as nice as this one :clap: !!!

It's true....after all the years, WetCanvas! is very much a part of my day to day life :D And I have friends across the globe because of it.

carly

Mikki Petersen
08-19-2004, 12:33 PM
When I stumbled across this site two years ago, I had just begun experimenting, dabbling really, with pastels after over thirty years away from fine art. Had it not been for the wonderful encouragement and acceptance from so many artists whose work I respect, I probably would have gotten frustrated and talked myself out of pursuing the process. Instead I have several hundred works under my belt (amazing when I think about it), many of which have been inspired by direct challenges, projects, pastel riots, etc. Most importantly I have a place I can go to get advice and ask questions where I will receive answers from a wide variety of people instead of just one instructor.

If I have a regret, it is that there simply is not enough time to browse all the terrific forms available. I made a commitment last year that I would paint every day. Maybe only for half an hour, maybe only sketches, but I would dirty my hands each and every day. My ritual is that I go to Wet Canvas! first, chat a while hear and read a LOT then go to my easel. Invariably, I'm so enthused by the time I sign off that I cannot wait to get to painting again. As a craftsperson for over thirty years, I never stayed with any one craft for long ... Wet Canvas has to be the reason I am such a committed artist now. I'm slow, I'm self critical but I'm determined and I feel I have so many wonderful friends to share experiences with. My life is rich!

dexonsbabe
08-19-2004, 04:20 PM
I only started painting about 2years ago well not really painting just messing about with different paints then I was introduce to pastel pencils and found I could more or less make them do what I wanted but since being here and seeing all the wonderful soft pastel pictures I went out today and bought myself some all I got to do now is work out what to do with them..........so think for a while I may be spending quite a bit more time here trying to learn how to use them :D

prestonsega
08-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I only started painting about 2years ago well not really painting just messing about with different paints then I was introduce to pastel pencils and found I could more or less make them do what I wanted but since being here and seeing all the wonderful soft pastel pictures I went out today and bought myself some all I got to do now is work out what to do with them..........so think for a while I may be spending quite a bit more time here trying to learn how to use them :D

good for you...just be careful...one set of pretty new pastels leads to another, and another!!!! (So now I can expect to see more sketches in the weekly thread, huh??? :evil: :D .

Your enthusiasm is contageous!!!!

dexonsbabe
08-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh dear Preston think I may regret letting on about the new pastels still trying to finish the fish lol............will get there though and I do need a bit of a push every now and then :D

SweetBabyJ
08-19-2004, 05:11 PM
What are you still doing here? Go paint!! :D :D :D

tsk tsk- addiction is all well and good, but you gotta stop reading about it and just do it sometime- may as well be now.... :cat: