PDA

View Full Version : New life for trash pile painting..

chookbrown
08-17-2004, 03:37 PM
This was a watercolor I attempted last year from a reference pic by Em (mustcreate). I loved it and have seen many renditions of it. I haven't touched it for almost a year but decided to try and save it with pastel.

Soft pastel over watercolor underpainting.. 14 x 10 approx size.

This is the underpainting as it was before I added pastel. Has grey masking fluid on it.. which had slightly discolored the paper sort of yellowy I might add.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2004/9218-grapes3c.jpg

This is the final after I added the pastel. I found out something interesting that I'm sure a lot of you already know. I was working on cold pressed watercolor paper and its quite rough. I couldn't get a smooth look to the table cloth shadow... so I filled the tooth of the watercolor paper with white pastel and then proceeded to add my colors. Seems fairly basic I know, but I just never thought of that til now... experimentation is fun!! :D:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2004/9218-grapesdoneMed.jpg

I hope this is ok, because I just gave it to my framer when he came to collect the dolphins. I wanted to enter this to state fair also.

Thanks for looking, all comments and critiques greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Colleen :D:D

Redsy333
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
WOW! I thought it was the refrence photo..that crystal is smashing!! :clap:

Khadres
08-17-2004, 03:51 PM
LOVELY! What wonderful RICH colors in the grapes! Makes my mouth water! The crystal is fab, as well....SEE? I don't usually dare say so, but pastels beat watercolors all the he## when it comes to intense, rich work! That's one of the things I love about the medium....you really have to work at it to get greyed mud or wishy washy color. BUT, that being said (and now all the watercolor folks are probably mad at me now, too!) I think your underpainting really added intensity to the final pastel painting. I haven't tried watercolor paper yet, but this is interesting...had wondered how well cold press would work.

Great save on a very nice painting! :clap:

CarlyHardy
08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
You should get a prize for your transformation of this piece!! Would make a great demonstration, too, in how to save a watercolor with pastels :) The grapes have a wonderful luscious look and the glass sparkles!
carly

Rose Baggs
08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
What a transformation!!! Looks incredible!!!

JustjoGA
08-17-2004, 04:00 PM
Great save, Colleen!! But I would expect nothing less from you... your work is just outstanding...

prestonsega
08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
the before pastels and after are so phenomenally different!! Simply beautiful! :clap:

JustjoGA
08-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Great save, Colleen!! But I would expect nothing less from you... your work is just outstanding...

Deborah Secor
08-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Love it, Colleen! I also think it was a great idea to fill the tooth of the paper to make it smoother. I never thought of it quite that way before... :D

Deborah

khourianya
08-17-2004, 05:01 PM
This is gorgeous. It makes me want to haul some of my old, unhappy watercolours out of the pile and see how I can add some life with my pastels... Thank you for inspiring me.

Nori
08-17-2004, 06:06 PM
Well I was impressed before I finished looking at the watercolor version, but the pastel is superb. You can really see the light coming thru the globes of the grapes. You should catch a lot of appreciative glances at the fair!! Best of luck.

K Taylor-Green
08-17-2004, 08:45 PM
Wow, Colleen. Just great. I'm really going to have to try that underpainting thing sometime. I have a ton of unused wc paper.

chookbrown
08-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Thank you ALL soooo much for commenting and the lovely support!!! I couldn't believe it myself to be honest. I loved that pic but really felt I had done such a dreadful job with the watercolor. I know one difference was attitude... I wasn't trying to do something wonderful, it was more of a play piece/experiment and yippee it turned out. Amazing how it can all come together if you relax a little...LOL.. I have another there I'm going to pull out and try to save...

Colleen :D:D

SweetBabyJ
08-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Absolutely stunning- well done!

Kathryn Wilson
08-18-2004, 08:44 AM
An amazing transformation - but then, I liked the underpainting - I think it helped add a glow to the pastels. Both of your entries for the State Fair should do very well! Let us know the results!

crumbedbrains
08-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey Chook,
saw this one before but still love it . .nailed it girl!!!!
Crumby

bnoonan
08-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Chooky - I think the "land of corn" Nebraska State Fair is going to be in awe at your magnificent work. Well done on the rescuing part and I have to say that combinations seems to have really made for a powerful painting.

do let us know the number of ribbons you receive.

Barb

chookbrown
08-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Thank you Julie, Kat, Tom and Barb!! So nice of you all!!

:D:D

binkie
08-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Your grapes are great!!! I also thought your pastel was the reference pic.

gwen

meowmeow
08-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Amazing save! The fruit is gorgeous and the crystal is fabulous. Good for you...and good luck with the fair.

Sandy