PDA

View Full Version : S&T Tuesday, Aug. 17

Lori-O
08-17-2004, 01:19 AM
Geez, I gotta go to bed! If I've posted any of these already please forgive me. I gotta get a system down.

Here is my first memory wire bracelet. Those are kinda fun. I'm going to order some copper dangles from Mary for the ends to go with the copper balls.

Then, an element bracelet a la Nancy style. I know this is new because I whipped it up tonight for my nephew to give to his mom. Tutti-Frutti on dk. pink. lampwork beads, with pink Swarovskis and a pink seed bead mix.

Lastly, just a sterling changer bangle with wire wound on my new wire winder (part of the jump ringer system) from Connie Fox (WINDS THE WIRE SO SMOOTHLY! A+++) Bali spacers between beads and at the ends, red violet frit on periwinkle. Little turtle charm. He's a cutie!

sassybird
08-17-2004, 02:15 AM
These are all nice. I have never worked with the memory wire. It kind of reminds me of a slinky.......lol I do love that last one. It is simple, clean and elegant.

Beadazoid
08-17-2004, 05:22 AM
I have wonderful friends here! After a tough several months, I received a gift today in the mail from Lunamoonshadow. She used beads made by Nikki (the sheep goddess) and some more that were donated by Nikki to make me a gift she calls the "Jeannie's Gonna Be Fine" Necklace! The focal bead is decorated with Kanji on one side that means "Friend" and on the other side that means "Peace" and "Calm". I feel SO special and blessed! Thank you Lyn, my dear friend!!!

BlindCaveFish
08-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Jeannie- what a beautiful gift!!
Lori- I like the bangle too, the beads look perfect in it

a friend of mine whom, I worked with, asked if I could make some simple earrings out of a pair of 'cod ears' she had. She has already drilled them and, I must say, they're really cool! A bit fragile but I love how they are spiket and curve. There is quite a bit of research hapening around here that deals with these bones (proper name: otolith) if you slice them in half you can tell the age of the fish, just like counting the rings of a tree. Anyhoo, thought I'd post my finished results and see what you thought

fringe4u
08-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Good Morning All...Here is my latest bracelet and yes my toggle is from Mary!!! I think the copper is the finishing touch to the bracelet. Mary, I love your copper!! Have a great day everyone! Debbie

McDuck
08-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Lori - they are all very pretty, but my fav is the blue bangle, it just screams " Wear me!"

Jeannie - How special you are indeed! Isn't WC marvelous? I bet you wear that with pride too.

Hollie - I just love those earrings, you did a great job!

-Mary who has nothing to show.

Andee
08-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Lori - my fave is the bangle - smooth work, and the turtle is sooo cute! The bracelets are lovely, too!

Jeannie - wow, what a great gift! Beautiful work!

Hollie - very interesting earrings, great colour-combination!

Debbie - I LOVE that bracelet! Mmmmh, it looks edible! :)

Mine today: "old" moonstone pendants, moonstone beads in two sizes and glass (= the small silvery beads between the moonstone).

BBsBaubles
08-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Great work everyone! Love the earrings Hollie. I like things simple but there is also a primitive element too. Nice job on the wire wrapping! :clap:

McDuck
08-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Debbie - we posted near the same time! wonderful job you did I like it!

Andee - I really like that necklace! Sweet, simple yet elegant!

-Mary

earthenwood
08-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone! I finally have some new pictures of new bead designs! This one was inspired by our "Hand" challenge on our Beads-of-Clay discussion group. I will be making them as pendants, buttons, and cabs:

McDuck
08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi everyone! I finally have some new pictures of new bead designs! This one was inspired by our "Hand" challenge on our Beads-of-Clay discussion group. I will be making them as pendants, buttons, and cabs:

Melanie- Those turned out really fantastic! I cant wait to see them in person. ARe you going to the whole bead show here in chicago?

-Mary

earthenwood
08-17-2004, 12:14 PM
No I won't be there, Mary...will you have a booth? I hope you give us a report if you do. Perhaps I will see you at the BSCG show in Northlake Sept 19th?

Sassyglassgal
08-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Wow, I haven't been in this forum, these pieces of jewelry are magnificent!! The bangles are awesome, and I loved the blue piece that was "your gonna be alright" and what a super friend to pass that along to you. I liked the amber bracelet as well, very nice details in that one. This is a woven necklace that took me forever but i liked how it turned out. The seed beads are a medium blue and brass, and then the 3 circle beads are made with seed beads and swarovski crystal in med blue and dark blue. The pic doesn't do it justice but I can't get the color to show up right.

Lori-O
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Super work everyone! :clap:

I especially like Melanie's hands. Those are so great for the BOC "handmade" challenge! I'm saving my clay to work on this winter because I can do it inside.

I love the seed bead necklaces. I can't wait for my spiral stitch class. I want to make a lariat. Dosen't everybody need a lariat? Lol!

I really want to make a bangle like Jean's honorable mention from the Connie Fox Challenge. That is just lovely and unique. Waiting for the right bead!

flynfire
08-17-2004, 05:56 PM
with wire wound on my new wire winder

Just try saying that three times fast. :D

sassybird
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Jeannie, your necklace is a tribute to the friendships you have. This group has been good to me also, and I hope they know how much it has meant to me.

Holllie, I can only hope to aspire to that kind of coiling. I love those earrings.

Paounicic, I see bracelets like this and am stumped on how they are made. I tried one and it was to heavy. What is the secret? I used all glas beads. This bracelet would be beautiful with a fall dress.

Andee, I really like that cross. I am developing a taste for moonstone. It is so beautiful, more elegant than other stones.

Melanie, I didn't see these in your catalog, so I take it they are a new creation. You will be getting an order from me in the next few months:)

Sass, This is amazingly intricate. I can not imagine how you did this, or how long it took you. I wish you had given us a close up.

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Cheers all for a lovely show and tell today.

I've not been posting too much lately since I've had to take care of mom who just had a knee surgery (she's almost back to new...) and chasing the little one around (he's a terror...). But, in my spare time, I've been taking silversmithing lessons about 2-3X/week with a renowned jewelry artist here in FL. I'm going to bravely post my "so far" picture...I just made this heart 2 classes ago all by my lonesome and did the soldering, made my own casting grain, chasing, etc...as you may notice, the silver cloud behind the star is a result of overheating my piece and the solder flowing too much and the star shifting..../sigh...but today, I finished off the edges and domed the heart (which you probably can't see at all...) and next class, I'm soldering on the findings to turn it into a pin, then do the final buffing and polishing. So hopefully it'll look better than it does atm. LOL.

But anyhoo, just so you know where I've been hiding and what I've been doing. Haven't made a bangle in a while since I've been bitten by the metalsmithing bug. I've been playing with rolling mills and making my own wire, and today I watching casting grain get turned into wire...that was very exciting. My dream list of tools is growing rapidly. :)

Anyhoo, enough of this babble..here's the piece thus far:

~Danielle

McDuck
08-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Debbie, the seed bead ring beads are very intricate. Can we see a close up? Very pretty and WELCOME!

Danielle - yes the silversmithing and metalsmithing bugs are GGGGREAT! Very pretty heart!

AS for me, We put up 3 more panels on the fence tonight. other than that, I pulled out my favorite skipping stone beads, some copper findings and hope to make apretty for tomorrow. And pour more beads.

-Mary...errrr...McDuck

MadameKali
08-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Danielle that is AWESOME! when are you gonna make me one? :-D

Everyone's stuff looks great today!

TheBlueBetween
08-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Great S&T today!

Love those wild "cod ears" earrings - great design but all I can think of is that "fish heads" song now.

Great job on the bangle Lori - winder sounds way cool.

Welcome Debbie - love the seedbead necklace and beads - would like a closer up close up tho!

Other Debbie - nice bracelet! I don't know if you figured out your crimping problem yet, but I was reading Kate McKinnon's book yesterday and she writes about why crimps fail - either the piece is strung too tight, poor crimps/crimping style, or using low quality or too lightweight beading wire.

Great work with the friendship bead - perfect necklace for it - hope it brings you lots of luck and happiness :)

Andee, wonderful as usual!

Danielle - Very Cool!!! I'm glad you are loving your class and the metal work - I think it really makes a difference who your teacher is. I took an 8 week class and did not finish one thing... it was such a waste of time. Can't wait to see what you are doing in a few months when you really get going with it!

I think that's it? Sorry if I missed anyone :eek:

Edit - sorry Melanie - I did miss you! And I meant to tell you the hands are great. I also love the heart in the hand motif (handmade with love) if you ever get inspired to do something with that I bet it would be a hit too. :)

Sassyglassgal
08-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Ok I tried to get a close up of my spiral necklace and beaded rings in blue and brass, hope this works out, still wish I could get the rich blue color to show up better

Beadazoid
08-18-2004, 03:27 AM
Incredible work by everyone!!! I love the silver smithing work Danielle!

Debbie, that necklace is great! It reminds me of one I started but never finished on the rope part. Thanks for the close-up.

And thanks for the well wishes. The last couple of months have involved a lot of changes from my youngest daughter going to live with her dad in another state to my husband leaving town for a 4 week job and deciding not to come back. I can't begin to tell you how much my new necklace means to me. I wore it out tonight for my older daughter's 17th birthday and got numerous compliments. I absolutely love it and the meaning and the friendships only make it even more special! Thanks again Lyn (Lunamoonshadow) and Nikki (NLC). I love you guys!

Andee
08-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Debbie - great necklace, the beaded rings look really intriguing! :) Oh, and welcome over here!

Danielle - that heart is just GORGEOUS! :clap: And hey - I made a simple silver heart this morning with the letters L, O, V and E stamped all over it (just for trying out my freshly arrived letter stamps) - and then I saw your heart with LOVE stamped on. Great minds think alike, eh? ;)

TheBlueBetween
08-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Hi Debbie - is this better?

It's gorgeous - what type of stitch is it?

TheBlueBetween
08-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi Debbie - is this better?

It's gorgeous - what type of stitch is it?

Sorry, that was supposed to be a .jpg