PDA

View Full Version : first post here

Naughtyt
08-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Hello everyone

This pic started out as a quick pencil sketch last night just for fun ....today I decided to open my derwent pastel pencils for the first time ..i know it isn't very good :rolleyes: but I figure I needed to stop lurking here and finally post something
BTW this is me over 50 years ago

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2004/34540-naughty2.jpg

Paula Ford
08-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Welcome!!

So glad you posted. You are off to a great start!! This is soooo sweet!!

Paula

Nori
08-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Welcome.
You are a brave soul to paint someone you know (albeit many years ago) right off the bat. Me, I started with people nooooooobody knew, and if it came out sideways, no one was the wiser.

The hair on this piece is very nice. I had great help studying the drawings of faces by old masters (along with the text that 'splained why they did what) and that really helped me build up the bone structure and little by slowly a sort of three D face emerged. Pleased me no end.

Looks like you had fun with this. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Khadres
08-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Very nice for a first shot at a portrait! I like the expression a lot! Looks like you had fun doing it and now you've broken the ice and posted, you can keep on doing more, right? :D

prestonsega
08-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Welcome aboad Naughty.....Come on in and stay a spell!!!! If you are looking for a place to have fun and grow artistically at the same time you have found it.. Wetcanvas is a large place with lots of things going on..(weekly sketch thread, weekend drawing event, ongoing lessons by professional artists,,various projects) Only when I got involved did I start to feel I was experiencing the growth I desired .You say you've been lurking around, so hopefully you've had the chance to get your bearings...I am still finding my way around after almost a year!

You've captured quite an expressive moment in your subject,,,the sideways glance gives almost an air of suspicion to your self portrait.

Again,,I say welcome!

Ruth Grinstead
08-17-2004, 06:42 AM
A big warm welcome.

I started with me about 25 years ago so it is as good a way as any to start.

I like the sheen you have got on the front of the hair.

Now that you have achieved your first picture post, you will really develop with the help of all the great people here at WC.

Have fun

Ruth

Naughtyt
08-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Thank you all for the wonderful welcome
I did have fun doing this pic. I just started painting and drawing a few months ago ,while recovering from an illness... I have a LOT to learn but am enjoying it all
I am slowly acquiring some art supplies so hopefully i will be adding more and improving

chookbrown
08-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Welcome Naughty, what a great start you are off to. This is a very friendly forum with many talented and helpful people. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Colleen :D:D

SweetBabyJ
08-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Welcome- just ask, and we'll help however we can. Congrats for picking up art again.

binkie
08-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Welcome!!!! You're off to a super start! This is a wonderful site from which to learn. I started art a little over a year and a half ago with a drawing class, then went to pastels (which I love!). Have to say I've learned so much more from the folks here than I did in class. The artists here are so helpful and supportive.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

gwen

K Taylor-Green
08-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the forum. A good start here, and a self portrait no less! Looking forward to more.

Naughtyt
08-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Chookbrown,SweetBabyJ, Binkie,Kate Green

Thank you all for the welcome... you all do such wonderful work .. My illness has slowed me down with everything so bear with me. I may never be a famous artist but I am having fun . :)