PDA

View Full Version : Pink Petals the Prettiest?

TorchGlass
08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
I find so much beautiful work in this forum and I really want to get ideas of how to showcase some beads I made. I plan on doing more like this because they really appeal to me, are versatile, etc. I just can't seem to put them together into an eye-catching design I really love. Could be that I don't have the skills of beautiful peyote nor a lot of other things that may be needed to demonstrate these. Maybe its my inexperience with photography too and I wouldn't discount that possibility. Any suggestions, critiques, design suggestions, I'm wide open.
I've studied lampwork a couple of years, although have only been torching since March. I work in stages, creating more beads than I can photograph! The beads are tubular, measuring 1/2"- 1" long and 1/4"-1/2" wide.

dogmaw
08-16-2004, 10:02 PM
It looks to me like you are having the same problem that I did when I started using my beads in jewelry. I kept forgetting that the focus should be my beads, and not the pieces that go with it. You have some lovely beads there, but they are overshadowed because they are put close together and with things of the same color. Try putting them with contrasting color, and with SS beads inbetween them. I tend to avoid the crystal because it can be sparklier than my bead. I've attached a photo of one of my pieces, but you will probably not have any difficulty developing a style of your own.

Jo

tamjai
08-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Kristine - you and i started at about the same time and it looks like you put your focus into the beads instead of the finished pieces, - your beads being so superior - if you are going to focus on the beads then photography is everything - focus on the best one and get the best pic you can and use photoshop when it can help you
i just wish i could make beads like yours!!!!!
tam

LadyArowana
08-16-2004, 11:00 PM
If you want to showcase the beads then I don't think it is necessary to make them up into a finished piece. I wasn't sure from your post whether you were going to be selling them, but if you are, then the people that are buying probably have their own ideas about what they want to do with them. By showing only the glasswork you leave more to their imagination. I also thing a very plain background shows things off better, I have a piece of pale grey suede that works for most colours, but sometimes I use a black or cream. Fiona

TheBlueBetween
08-17-2004, 12:04 AM
I think - and this is just my opinion - that you have too many focals in one piece (I'm assuming it's a bracelet, not just beads wired together to sell?) - If I were making a bracelet with your beads I would take one of the barrel beads and match it up with two or 4 round beads and then some simpler accent beads - but let the focus be on the one focus bead. The rest of the beads would just be there to highlight it and hold the thing together. Does that make sense? I'm so tired, I hope it does. Your beads are really pretty though - keep playing with them and you will find out what they want done with them.

Pam

TorchGlass
08-17-2004, 03:01 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind compliments!! Wonderful points, photo tips in particular appreciated! I don't know about venues for selling, I haven't tried that yet. I focused on a bead a bit more.

Andee
08-17-2004, 06:00 AM
Kristine - I'm with Pam here, I would use just one focal bead and an assortment of smaller beads (not necessarily lampwork... Silver would look great!) to go with it. Or you could use three of your barrel-shaped beads with lots of space between them (use silver or crystals or pearls to fill that space), or you could wire-wrap them... I think they would also look great in a bangle. Just my personal opinion, tho - I don't think the beadcaps you use work very well with the barrels, I would choose plain beadcaps for them. Your lampwork is beautiful, it deserves getting a bit more "focus"! :)