PDA

View Full Version : Yuck! What the heck happened?!

debkauz
08-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Did I get your attention? LOL

I made a necklace probably a month ago and put it into a small plastic bag like I always do. It is made of a yellow chunky stone that I thought was probably a yellow quartz of some sort. I strung a chunk of stone, a 3mm bali silver spacer, a 4mm crystal Swavorski, a 3mmbali silver spacer....The clasp was from Pacific Silverworks and says silver.925 on the back. It's about 20 inches long and has a pendant that I made with the same components that I listed.
I was adding up what I had made today to see if I had enough to send to California to the gallery and almost fell off the chair. All the silver on the piece, including the clasp was so coroded that it looked like one of grannie's forks that had been in a drawer for 40 years. The swavorski crystal is also dull and appears to have some sort of coating on it. It wipes off the crystal mostly, but the silver is so coroded that I can't even seem to get it off the clasp with a polishing cloth.
It was always in the bag with the ziplock closed as was everything else that I had made. I have never had this happen before! They were all in their own individual bags so nothing else came into contact with it.
Any ideas, suggestions?

Deb

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Do you have a picture of the stone? The only thing I can think of is that the stone and one of the components of the silver reacted crazyily for some reason. You may try an aluminum pie pan put the piece in the pan poor baking soda on it and poor hot nearly boiling water over it and swoosh it around for a few minutes. That will clean tarnish off really well...sometimes if its super bad you may have to do it a couple of times but its super quick... Aluminum is the key the reaction between aluminum, baking soda, and the tarnish particles is what helps the tarnish just fall off the jewelry...

tamjai
08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
oh deb - that is so wierd!!! :confused: any chance of posting a pic of that stone??- i'd love to know what it was - and to avoid!
tam

beclectic
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
If a stone has a high sulphur content it could do that. Does the stone have a rotten egg odor? I strongly suspect sulphur content because of the color.

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-16-2004, 07:40 PM
I also thought of something else is there a possibility that the stones were dyed? perhaps something in the dye is reacting negetively....I also thought about the sulphur content too which you might be able to figure out by looking at the stone itself...

debkauz
08-16-2004, 09:56 PM
I didn't notice any smell, but maybe sulfur could be the culprit. DH thought that there was definately an outgassing of something. No kidding! I will try to take a picture of the stone but I have tried before and it is hard to photograph. It's a kind of butter/lemon yellow semi opaque. I got it from Bead and Button from a vendor that I trust. I may take a piece back to him and see what he thinks as he is in the Chicago area. It was so pretty, too, that I really hate to take it apart and toss part of it. I may put it into the tumbler and see what happens. Dh suggested that I put the whole piece in the oven on a very low temp for a while. Essentially that should help it outgas a bit quicker.

Deb

Beads-Me!
08-16-2004, 10:26 PM
How bizarre! Keep us posted about what you find out!

LadyArowana
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
What a strange thing to happen, I go along with the others that suspect it could be a dyed stone reaction of some sort. Has the texture of the stone changed at all ? I know when inferior jade is bleached and dyed it gets impregnated with some pretty heavy duty chemicals, perhaps they didn't get the cocktail quite right. Would love to see what more you can find out, very twilight zone, cue spooky music ! Fiona

debkauz
08-17-2004, 07:53 AM
What a strange thing to happen, I go along with the others that suspect it could be a dyed stone reaction of some sort. Has the texture of the stone changed at all ? I know when inferior jade is bleached and dyed it gets impregnated with some pretty heavy duty chemicals, perhaps they didn't get the cocktail quite right. Would love to see what more you can find out, very twilight zone, cue spooky music ! Fiona

I left them sitting out last night to see if anything was going to happen. Wasn't sure what I was expecting! LOL!
When I was looking at them this morning before I came to work, I think that they were a little cloudier than I remember. It's been so long since I made it that I really don't remember what it looked like but I don't think they were cloudy before. I used them all for this so I can't compare anything.
I think that on my next day off--not til Friday, I will toss it into the tumbler after it's 'cooked' for a while. Totally bizarre.

Deb

McDuck
08-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Deb, how weird, but some stones will make a mess of your silver. Let us know how it turns out!
Mary

flynfire
08-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Yes, pictures please! Is it corroded or just badly tarnished? Maybe you had something on your hands that was transfered to the piece before you sealed it up. Inquiring minds want to know!
Kit

debkauz
08-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, pictures please! Is it corroded or just badly tarnished? Maybe you had something on your hands that was transfered to the piece before you sealed it up. Inquiring minds want to know!
Kit

Hard to tell...parts look very badly tarnished and other parts look almost corroded. The clasp in particular won't polish up with a cloth or silver polish. It's supposed to be sterling so I don't know what's up with that. I never have anything on my hands when I work so I don't Think that's the issue. I will call the place where I bought the stones and ask him if anything else has been noted with the stones. I will be close to there on Saturday so I may even drop buy.
It's a puzzle for sure!

Debbie

lunamoonshadow
08-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Was the stone Calcite? (the color description sounded like that might be a possibility?)
I have no idea why that would happen....but I've never used Calcite as anything but a candle-holder!
--lyn

Ignuss-Fatuus
08-18-2004, 09:24 AM
Seriously before tumbling your piece try the baking soda aluminum hot water thing I suggested even if you dont have an aluminum pie pan line a pyrex dish with aluminum foild and try that you will be amazed at how well it will clean the silver and it should not harm your stones at all...only thing that may happen is a little leaching of color if they were dyed ....but im not even sure that would happen....baking soda water thing is one of the most gentle but effective ways to clean sterling silver. If you throw the piece in the tumbler it may crack or ruin some of your pieces on the necklace depending on what you used especially the swarovskis....

Hiway
08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
....baking soda water thing is one of the most gentle but effective ways to clean sterling silver. If you throw the piece in the tumbler it may crack or ruin some of your pieces on the necklace depending on what you used especially the swarovskis....

Oh, I agree!!!!!

By the way, a water softener (even good old Calgon) is more effective than baking soda by far, too.

Wish we could see a photo of this poor piece, and I hope that it is completely salvageable.

Best from Claudia :)

debkauz
08-18-2004, 12:55 PM
I will try to get a picture posted if I ever get to NOT come to work! I don't know if I can get enough detail to really show what happened. I will try to do the aluminium thing before I tunble for sure!
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Deb

bdswagger
11-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Did you ever figure out what happened?

Leigh

debkauz
11-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Leigh,
Just stopped in for a nanosecond and saw this. No, never did. The silver gets more coroded and the beautiful butter, lemon yellow stone(?) is a dull ecru color now. I have it hanging up in my studio just to see what will happen to it. If I ever go back to the beadstore, I am taking it along and seeing if they have a clue. Doesn't make me real inclined to go back though as the necklace probably cost me $70 bucks wholesale!
Thanks for asking.
Debbie

gbot
11-11-2004, 03:09 AM
I wire-wrap stone. This happened to me on a particular stone, mine was like a smokey quartz type and I wrapped it in silver. I enclosed it in a little ziplock plastic bag. The next time I looked at it, there were marks on the stone and the wire looked like it was an old antique peice. The lady who owns the store I buy my gemstones from told me that some rocks can't be wrapped in metal, that this will happen. She had a name for it and I have forgotten. She is very knowledgable about stone & wire wrapping, she has been in business for years. I will make a point to ask her and post a message on this link.

Gladys

Jamn!
11-13-2004, 07:24 AM
I would love to hear what stones react!! I just bought a few interesting granite, carnelian and can't remember beads. :crying: :confused: and not sure I want to stick them in a bracelet now!

wccecilia
07-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Is the baking soda/aluminum thing gentle enough for me to use on silver pieces with freshwater pearls, lapis, turquoise, etc? I have several pieces that I just got back from a store with the silver all tarnished. My other pieces I'd just tossed in some regular jewelry cleaner, but the cleaner says it shouldn't be used on pearls, etc. Thanks!

Cecilia
www.shyviolet.net

Ignuss-Fatuus
07-17-2005, 09:02 AM
you need to be really careful as the hot water can destroy or ruin stones and pearls sometimes perhaps try just luke warm water it will take longer and you might have to keep adding more tap warm water but i would rather be better safe than sorry i had some green stones not sute what they were exactly break right in 2 after going through a cleaning not all but a couple out of the necklace to make it all wopperjawed now ..

debkauz
07-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I'd just take a silver cleaning cloth--don't know what they are called and wipe the silver off. You do need to be very careful with pearls and turquoise especially- anything soft can be damaged easily.

Heidi--I have NEVER had anything like this happen before. the DH chemist figured that they were outgassing something but whether it was a dye or what, who knows. I think you have to take a chance and if you are really unsure about something, let it hang for a while before you use it. ALthough that might not work either. The piece I did is still changing and corroding. I wish I could find a pic of it when I first did it, then one from when I first found it and then today. It's been hanging out since I posted this thread and something is still going on with it. Weird but, fortunately, unusual.

Deb

wccecilia
07-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks! I'll have to try the warm water thing.... some of the pieces would be impossible to clean with a cloth. One of them has lapis chips and liquid silver sprinkled throughout, and would be an absolute nightmare to clean with a cloth. Also, what would you suggest for cleaning something like this: http://shyviolet.net/Pics/B127/Frame.htm ? It's not tarnished now, because it's been in a plastic bag, but I'm not sure what to do about the combination of shiny silver (coiled) and bali silver when it DOES tarnish. Thanks again,

Cecilia