PDA

View Full Version : Made In USA tags

McDuck
08-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am looking into the interest of the jewelry designers in the US. If it were available, would you like a small tag that states your jewelry is made in the USA? It is a small tag with a bald eagle and Made In USA on it and would have one, two or no small ring or rings for attachment. you could then use a jump ring or wire wrap it on or glue it depending on the item. They are approximately 12-14mm in length. They can be made in Sterling, gold, copper or brass. I will conduct a small poll and I am trying to get a pic to show you.

Thanks,
Mary

tamjai
08-16-2004, 10:58 PM
knowing how popular 'local' work is here - i can only imagine that it can help to have these tags on your work no matter where you live
tam

TheBlueBetween
08-16-2004, 11:57 PM
Can you say "made in the USA" if most of the products it's made from are not made in the USA? Like bali silver, austrian crystal, italian glass etc etc.?

sassybird
08-17-2004, 02:21 AM
Can you say "made in the USA" if most of the products it's made from are not made in the USA? Like bali silver, austrian crystal, italian glass etc etc.?

That came to my mind also. There are a lot of automotive companies that get parts from Japan that say they are made in the USA, but not all of the car parts are USA built. I am torn on this one.

beclectic
08-17-2004, 09:24 AM
I am a one worlder. I'd like tags that say 'Made on Earth'.

McDuck
08-17-2004, 09:29 AM
The tags I found say "Made In USA" I believe it's a size thing since they have the American Bald Eagle on it too. I am waiting for permission to post the pic of it for you to see. And in this day where the US has out sourced just about everything, it is near impossible to have an item totally made in the USA unless the artisan is certain every part was manufactured here. I guess you can look at that two ways as far as being built or made here. hmmm. Good question.

Barbara, always on the third side of the fence aren't you? LOL ;)

I will see if they can make them saying anything else, but I think the fee would be prohibitive.

-Mary

Retta Gates
08-17-2004, 10:38 AM

Amen... ;)

MamaKitty
08-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Here's the FTC info on "made in USA"
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htm

To be absolutely technically correct, I believe the correct term according to FTC would be "assembled in USA" -- (editorial comment: yuck!)

Dorothy

McDuck
08-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Dorothy, that is wonderful! thank you for the information. I will see if they can make any other tags too. Although with the copper I sell and if you make your own beads, it truelly is made in USA. Plus there are a whole slew of other companies who make products from the US when combined with artisan beads complies. Thank you again!

-Mary

TheBlueBetween
08-17-2004, 12:28 PM

I'm with you Barbara :)

I might like some tags that said "made with love" or "made with (heart)".

McDuck
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Okay, I will check into them to see if they can make any other ones and what the cost would be. I am just very proud be ableto state that something is Made in the USA with so many of our jobs going over seas. Kind of one reason I am looking so hard for items that truelly are made here in the US vs imported items. But I also like made with heart or love too.

-Mary

debkauz
08-17-2004, 01:15 PM
I third or fourth--whatever it is now about the Made on Earth! I go more for the quality of the product, not where it's made. Course, I never stopped eating 'French' fries either. :rolleyes: :D I'm actually thinking about getting some of those tiny littly tags with my logo on them. I don't want too much other stuff on my jewelry.

And, welcome Dorothy!

Deb

ringslingin
08-17-2004, 01:44 PM
My quick two cents...

I wouldn't feel comfortable using a "Made in the USA" tag, since I use a lot of Swarovski, Bali, Turkish and other components from different countries. I think it might be misleading to my customers somewhat, however I do usually state in my descriptions and on my tags where most of my components come from.

On the other hand, if I thought it would do any good, when I use lampwork it might be a hoot to use a tag that says "Not made in China".

beclectic
08-17-2004, 02:08 PM
<snip>
Barbara, always on the third side of the fence aren't you? LOL ;)

I will see if they can make them saying anything else, but I think the fee would be prohibitive.
-Mary

Sorry Mary but you're right, I'm always finding another side of the fence or dancing along the top. :)

I like the 'Made with love' or 'Made with (heart)' ideas too. However, it would have to be very inexpensive for me to spend the extra money on it.

TheBlueBetween
08-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Someday, what I'd really like to do, is design a simple logo for myself that could be made into a stamp and then I could stamp it onto little tags and add to my pieces as a signature.

Retta Gates
08-18-2004, 01:14 AM
I might be odd, but I like to know where "vintage" stuff was made. Old "Made in the USA" Or "Anywhere". Lately I do like to know where it came from, mostly because I like jewelry from people I actually know the best. But I dont really care if it is stamped with a country anymore. Right now stuff "Made on earth" is all we have but someday it might be "collectable" lol ok probably not in our lifetime but anyhow...

A personal "Signature seal" of some kind would be awesome :)

McDuck
08-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Microstamp can make you a personal signature stamp.

-Mary

LadyArowana
08-18-2004, 10:41 AM

-Mary

I don't think tags that say "Anything Else" would sell very well ! Fiona

Hiway
08-18-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm with you Barbara :) I might like some tags that said "made with love" or "made with (heart)".

But... but...... you can already get these; I've seen them (sterling, gold fill, base metals) on several store web sites. They are really pretty common and easy to purchase, especially the "made with love."

Since I use material from all over, I can't really put "Made in Canada" on anything. Also, I certainly don't want people to think, for example, that the Bali silver isn't made in Bali (there are lots of Bali knock-offs, as we all know) or that the Swarovski is made in Toronto! :p

Best from Claudia

lunamoonshadow
08-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Mary--what about HANDCRAFTED IN USA--would that work? Since our stuff IS handcrafted?
I put lables on the cards for a few things I make that say "Handcrafted in Maine with beads from around the world" ;) I've got a "copyright" tag on some of the production pieces I assemble & it was just easier to use "from around the world" to go with the crafted in MAINE part ;)
Plus you can join a group up here (I've GOT to get a brochure printed!) that allows you to use the "Made in Maine" logo--and not everything/everyone who uses that tag (with permission) is using all components made in maine--it's just that they do the fabricating/assembling/whatever here!
:)
--Lyn

lunamoonshadow
08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
I've got a bunch of those "Made with heart" charms in basemetal silvercolored--if anyone is interested--for sale or swap--PM me--not on this thread (I'll likely not get it here! but I DO check my PM's!)

CarlaAlexander
08-18-2004, 02:53 PM
I have really been wanting one of those metal stamps from Rio Grande. Does anyoen know what they charge for them. I haven't called yet cuz I am afraid I will get it no matter the price.

McDuck
08-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Carla, go to microprints website, probablyt get it faster and cheaper.

Fiona, you kewk!

made in maine? that is kewl. hand crafted in the USA, will look into it.

-mary

tamjai
08-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I looked into the microstamp thing - the most expensive tag is $96 for 200 but you can get ss or gf for $70 and the quote i got on tamjai was $95 - haven't done this yet as i have to remember that those prices double by the time they get to me in canada! but i sure want to get something with my name on it, as you can't shake a stick without hitting beaded jewellery at the farmers market where i sell......
tam

teaforthree
08-23-2004, 08:53 AM
I just saw "Made in USA" tags in the new Rio catalog.

Does anyone know a source that would stamp the tags for you. I looked at Microstamp but my time is so limited (with 2 little ones) I'd rather spend time creating than stamping the tags. Also, I saw some finished jewelry with a tag and the logo had a nice black color on top of the sterling silver. I'm assumming that would be one more step if you make the tags yourself.

Thanks .
Joan

LLane
08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Also in the Rio Grande catalog there is a tag that says "Handcrafted in USA" price looks like about .47 each .... to be adjusted for silver price!

:D
Lois