PDA

View Full Version : S&T Monday, August 16

Bangs
08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Wow, I hardly ever post here, and today I'm first. Well, this is one of the bangles I'm especially pleased with. It got some attention when I wore it to the Evanston Lakeshore Art Festival last weekend, so I thought I'd share it with you. All the usual warnings about photography apply!

Andee
08-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Everybody,

I can't believe nobody else posted an S&T today! Come on, show me something! :)

I just finished the labradorite ring, the setting was a pain in the a** and I'm so not happy with it, but the silver got too hard in the end so I couldn't bring it any closer to the stone. It will have to do for a bit, coz I don't feel like taking it all apart and starting all over quite yet... The stone is absolutely beautiful in person, it's a shame it doesn't show on the pic...

Edit - Argh, I just saw that Brenda beat me to it (just one minute!), can somebody please merge my posting into her thread? Ta!

Andee
08-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Brenda - I love that bangle, it has such an "earthy" quality to it! :clap:

JavaGirlBT
08-16-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure which S&T thread I should post to. <g> I'm really loving the labradorite stone in the ring. It's so pretty. And the bangle is great too. This weekend I took a Stephanie class again as a refresher. I took it last year and wanted to take it again, because I wasn't sure how much I remembered. Here it is:

BBsBaubles
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Brenda, I can see why you got the attention. The bangle is great!
Andee, Love the ring!
Ellen, Great job on the bracelet. The refresher course must have inspired you.

TheBlueBetween
08-16-2004, 03:10 PM
wow what a great bangle! I can see why it's getting attention. Love the colors!

And the stephanie bracelet is fab too! Great job!

Here is my contribution for the day - it's for the ladybug exchange.

Andee
08-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Ellen - lovely bracelet, great colours and the beads are ever so cute!

Pam - another gorgeous necklace, the rope looks fab! I also like the asymmetrical look!

tamjai
08-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Pam - that is sooo cool!
andee - labradorite never shows as well as in person! the ring looks like it's cocktail size which in person would show the stone to its best - good choice with a simple setting(i can't see the problem!)
brenda - love your bangle what's wrong with the photo? too dark? - check out the glass art and lori greenbergs' digital tutorial - i love it and it makes all the difference
ellen - i'm so jealous - i'd love to take a class with stephanie sersich - i'm in love with your bracelet!
tam

brenda - does this make any difference??(hope you don't mind.....)

MadameKali
08-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Brenda, I love the bangle!!! It's gorgeous.

fringe4u
08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
I'll take one of each today!!!
Pam- I love your necklace!! I want to learn how to do that stitch!
Ellen-Your bracelet is wonderful, I guess I will have to learn that someday also!!
Brenda-Your bracelet is just what I like to wear-It is beautiful!!

Bangs
08-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks, all! I'm really happy with this one, too.

And thanks Tam--nice editing! Believe it or not, I did adjust the brightness and contrast, but probably was afraid of going too far. I can look at photos long enough that nothing looks right to me.

Love the ring, Andee.
Pam, that necklace is cool!
Ellen, just beautiful. I'm all thumbs with anything I can't bang with a hammer :rolleyes:

tamjai
08-16-2004, 09:39 PM
just one necklace - as a beginner i'm a wee bit proud of my first 'set' of beads - they're basic but i'm happy so i made a simple necklace with them - the second shot is the clasp.
tam

Bangs
08-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Tam, I think you did a fantastic job. A beautiful set, and a perfect clasp to match. I really like the color, too. Good job!

Beads-Me!
08-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Nice work today everyone! Pam - I don't think I've ever seen something of yours that I didn't love!! I'm going to have to check out Lori's tutorial - I definitely need help with pictures...

tamjai
08-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Brenda - when using photoshop - just keep the original in a separate file and mess with other to your hearts content - th only way to learn with a difficult program is to make mistakes - i'm learning the hard way - as good as your camera may be - an editing program can be your friend oh - and thanks! :D
tam

TheBlueBetween
08-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Thank you everyone for the comments - I'm glad it's a hit - I hope that means whoever gets it will like it too!

And...great first beads necklace Tam!!! They look a helluva lot better than my first beads - though part of my problem was when I annealed mine they went from mostly round to way wonkie, newbie kiln user let the temp spike!

Andee - I'm sure that ring just sparkles - it looks fine to me - not sure what you did wrong?! Don't you just hate it when you can't get a good photo of something?

I do... and today I finally decided to do something about it... I'm afraid I'm going to burn my house down with my 5 lights (the picture only shows 3 - but I've added two more) and new tupperware lightbox with an old sheet wrapped around it to filter even more light... but what do you think of these photos? (I'm going cross eye'd - are they better or just the same as my usual? They seem to be missing some sparkle maybe?) Oh yeah and Lori's tutorial is WONDERFUL if you haven't read it already - makes editing so much easier.

Andee
08-17-2004, 05:52 AM
Pam - thanks! There's just a bit too much space between the stone and the bezel, and I couldn't get the silver any closer to the stone as it got too hard while working on it. I wouldn't mind that too much, but also it looks a bit irregular... I worked a bit more on it today, but that didn't help... Oh well, I suppose I can live with it! ;)

As for your new photo-set-up: Is it just me, or was the colour on the "original" photo of your green necklace a bit more lifelike than on the new one?

Tam - VERY nice for your first set, I can understand that you wanted to show it off! And the clasp is a just great! :)

McDuck
08-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Great work everyone! beautiful things yesterday.

-Mary

TheBlueBetween
08-17-2004, 10:54 AM
As for your new photo-set-up: Is it just me, or was the colour on the "original" photo of your green necklace a bit more lifelike than on the new one?

I think that is exactly what is bugging me - I like the focus better and how clean it is... but it's missing color and sparkle. The light isn't quite right either. I don't know how to fix it though.

DonnaBee
08-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Another nice show n tell thread!

Bangs, your bangle is extra-great! I am a big fan of neutrals-on-neutrals. That's a real unique and interesting-appealing piece you have there.

Bangs
08-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Donna!

Barrie
08-19-2004, 12:55 AM
I think that is exactly what is bugging me - I like the focus better and how clean it is... but it's missing color and sparkle. The light isn't quite right either. I don't know how to fix it though.

It looks like it needs light from the front, or possible to be laying flatter and you take the photo from a higher angle? There just seems to be too much shadow at the fron of the necklaces (they stunning, by thw way!!) (just my two cents worth anyway! :) )

TheBlueBetween
08-21-2004, 11:37 AM
It looks like it needs light from the front, or possible to be laying flatter and you take the photo from a higher angle? There just seems to be too much shadow at the fron of the necklaces (they stunning, by thw way!!) (just my two cents worth anyway! :) )

Thank you Barrie - I can try that - just add another fat magazine under the tripod...