PDA

View Full Version : Need help with customs form to Canada

Moth
08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi guys.

About a year ago my post office gave me a huge stack of customs forms (the green ones) to use because I ship a lot of stuff to Canada.

I just ran out, went and got new ones and they are different.

Now they are asking for HS tariff number and want me to attach an invoice to the outside of the package to expedite customs.

Umm. Hello...they are beads. Tiny little chunks of colorful glass. They also want to know the weight. Well sorry Charlie, but I don't know how much they weigh. They are so small I don't have anything that will weigh that low. I bought a postal scale, used it once and returned it. LOL

How do you guys fill this thing out??? There are choices at the top for gift, documents, commercial sample, and 'other'.

Could I choose 'other'?

I get the feeling that the commercial items section of the form is meant to envelope much bigger transactions, right? They can't possibly want me to weigh every bead I send to Canada. Can they? LOL

~~Mary

carrieabn
08-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I sent something to Canada last week that I sold on ebay and my Post Master had me mark the commercial sample box. I didn't have to weigh what was in the envelope, but I had to write what it was and the value. Hope this helps a little! Carrie

Moth
08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
I did some digging around and found out that the HS tariff number for glass beads is 7018100020

I was really hoping to get these mailed out today. Does ANYONE know how to do this?

Or even know if we don't have to do this?

Thank you!!
~~Mary
:confused:

Moth
08-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I sent something to Canada last week that I sold on ebay and my Post Master had me mark the commercial sample box. I didn't have to weigh what was in the envelope, but I had to write what it was and the value. Hope this helps a little! Carrie

Thanks Carrie!

That does help a little. At least I know it is possible to do it that way.

I just don't want these beads to get hung up in customs.

It's funny. I was just there last week and it was easier to get myself into the county than it was to get these beads there. ;)

~~Mary

Suzee
08-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Very weird,.....sounds like you were maybe given the wrong form? I've received packages recently from the US which didn't have such a complicated form. Maybe the post office gave you the kind of form that you'd use if you were some big company, like Frantz, or the like?? And why wouldn't they have a "merchandise" option to choose?

Can you fit the beads into a padded letter size envelope? I mailed off a few beads to the US the other day, and was told by the post office that I didn't have to fill out any customs forms because the items were being mailed in a letter-sized (well padded) envelope. Both items got to their destinations safely.

Good luck,
Peace,
Suzee

ValorieCox
08-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Mary, it's very simple! Use the customs form which looks like this. Unless you are over 4-lbs, you don't need the super large which triplicate form. Just fill in your address above, their address below. Sign and date the bottom of both halves. On the left mark, 'other', the contents 'glass beads', and value. No need to add the weight, your postal teller will do that. It's the weight of the package, not the contents.

There is a self adhesive back, add it to the side of your box, or front of your envelope. Don't tear off the form, your postal teller will. They keep one half incase there is an issue. You don't get a copy. Shipping to Canada is efforless, but it does take longer than anywhere else in the world for some reason. A package will get to Australia in 3 days, the same package might take 2 weeks to arrive in Canada, go figure! :D

Good luck! Val

(oh this isn't a package you can drop in the mailbox, it needs to go to a postal teller)

M'lis
08-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Shipping to Canada is efforless, but it does take longer than anywhere else in the world for some reason. A package will get to Australia in 3 days, the same package might take 2 weeks to arrive in Canada, go figure! :D

That's because in order to serve the customer better, Canada Post was privatized, closed most of the purpose-built post office outlets and put them in retail stores, closed hundreds of rural post offices, eliminated (as much as possible) door-to-door mail delivery, eliminated Saturday mail delivery and raised the postal rates sky high. :mad:

And they wonder why I pay my bills on-line, correspond with my family by e-mail as much as possible and send all by packages by courier. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Suzee
08-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Shipping to Canada is efforless, but it does take longer than anywhere else in the world for some reason. A package will get to Australia in 3 days, the same package might take 2 weeks to arrive in Canada, go figure! :D

It's those darn sled dogs....they've unionized and are making ridiculous demands (food, daily brushings, scheduled hydrant stops). :D

Peace,
Suzee

MaryBethC
08-16-2004, 05:23 PM
Val has it exactly right! They used to have a merchandise choice to check off but now for merchandise you are supposed to check other.

I also will only use Global Priority for international shipments. Some people who are not familiar with purchasing items from the US will start to complain about non-shipment within a week! If you ship Global Priority most things will get to their destination within 3 to 4 business days. It is just easier on everyone :)

Trey
08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
I have done the customs form thing and it takes a long time for stuff to arrive. Now I just put extra postage on it and put it in my own mailbox. It gets there in about 5 days. Canada, Europe anywhere. Much easier.

Traci

Moth
08-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Val and thanks you guys!

That is the form that I have. If it is letter sized, that is the form it gets. Larger packages get that big white form.

I guess I just got confused when I read the back of the form that says "Commercial item means any goods exported/imported in the course of a business transaction, whether or not they are sold for money or exchanged."

I thought that was their new category for 'merchandise' since they didn't have a merchandise choice on the front.

Also, on the back it says to give the weight and value of each article, so I got to rubbing my head on that one too.

Further down the back, for commercial items only, it asks for the HS tariff number and says it is recommended that you supply this information to accelerate clearance in customs. :rolleyes:

I did follow through in my search for the HS tariff code and it even gave me what the duty would have been on the package (approx. $3 Canadian). I also found out it would cost much more to export a pregnant cow.

If I were only sending one or two things a year to Canada, I wouldn't worry too much about screwing up the form...but I have packages going out 2-3 times a week. Actually, the majority of my repeat customers are Canadian.

Thanks again! I hope I am not the only one who got brain cramps over this customs form business.

~~Mary

Moth
08-17-2004, 12:53 AM
Val has it exactly right! They used to have a merchandise choice to check off but now for merchandise you are supposed to check other.

I also will only use Global Priority for international shipments. Some people who are not familiar with purchasing items from the US will start to complain about non-shipment within a week! If you ship Global Priority most things will get to their destination within 3 to 4 business days. It is just easier on everyone :)

HI Mary Beth!

I love global priority! I don't know how they can sell it for that price. Oops..shh! If they hear me they might jack it up.

I pack up my stuff in the bubble mailer just like always, then just slip that into the global priority flat rate mailer. Doesn't get any easier, especially to the UK. This particular customer requested that I NOT send it global priority. I have no idea why. I don't charge extra for it. Oh well.

~~Mary

mdslampworkbeads
08-17-2004, 02:46 AM
It's those darn sled dogs....they've unionized and are making ridiculous demands (food, daily brushings, scheduled hydrant stops). :D

Peace,
Suzee

LOL!!! And here I thought we were still on pony express!

At my PO they told me to go ahead and mark everything to go out of the country as "gift" but, not to send the reciept in the box. So I do as I was told :p

Monique

glass_beads
08-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Our postmaster requires us to mark it "Commercial Sample". Gotta love that each postmaster seems to have his/her own rules!

CharleneN
08-17-2004, 11:17 AM
My post office told me if I can fit it in a letter size bubble mailer to go ahead and do so. Just write airmail on it and choose the right postage per weight from the USPS website international calculator and stick it in my mailbox. I use a digital diet scale to weigh stuff...I brought afew different sized packages to the PO and checked my weights against theirs...my scale was right on the money. That's what I do. No extra form and no problems with delivery. For the last year or so I have been selling mainly jewelry or jewelry components. This applies to anything that is NOT a liquid...even if it is perfum (or anything that could be flammable) you must have the proper form to ID it....they don't want anything that could be flammable on the planes.