PDA

View Full Version : My cat Misty!

Rose Baggs
08-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi everybody!
Here is my cat Misty, she is about 1 year old... we rescued her and her 2 black sisters from the streets. She is the sweetest thing in the whole world!
I used soft pastels (Mungyo), hard pastels and pencil pastels (Derwent).
Strathmore art paper 300 series 9x12 (Someone..PLEASE tell me to buy a decent pastel paper and stop using craft paper to draw on..eheheh ).
I wanted to use a black colored paper to draw Misty to make her eye stand out more...I decided to use this craft paper...
Tell me what you think...how about the background? I wanted it to be dark...but not black...I spreaded some dark blue all over!
I took a picture since I haven't sprayed the fixative yet...not sure if it's done. C&C are welcomed!
Have a nice day!

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 11:07 AM
The quality of work on this piece, tells me you are truly ready for some decent paper. Make the investment and your pastels will fly and you will soar!!!

Love the eyes and the soft coloring.

Well done!!! :clap:

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Rose! Please consider buying pastel paper - although I think this portrait turned out wonderful - the blue background is perfect for her coat color. You did a great job on this - I'll know you'll do even better with better paper.

By the way, Welcome to the Pastel Forum and thanks for sharing Misty with us. :clap:

Khadres
08-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Cute kitty! Love the handling of the fur and eyes! Yes! At least get yourself a few sheets of Canson Mi Tientes...has a little more tooth to it at least and will be so much easier for you to work on as well as being longer lasting. Can't wait to see more of your work!

chookbrown
08-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Rose, gorgeous job on the kitty... it's time to stop dilly dallying with sub quality paper and move forward, you are more than ready from what your work shows here!!! Looking forward to seeing more...

Cheers, Colleen :D:D :clap:

Rose Baggs
08-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much Barb, Kyle, Khadres and Colleen! Your comments are really appreciated!!!

Pinecone Conniff
08-16-2004, 07:44 PM
By all means your work deserves the best paper! Jump in & treat yourself...Wallis paper would be the sundae with a cherry on top!
Annette

Deborah Secor
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Rose, this is lovely! You've done a nice job of capturing her features--the eyes in particular. She looks like a very sweet cat.

I agree--go for some good paper! I wonder how this would look on some Wallis...

May I make one suggestion that I think might improve on this painting? I've painted a lot of animals and I usually find that if I close in on them a bit more there's more punch to the painting. I think if you crop this one so that the cat is not surrounded by so much space, and leave some looking room on the viewer's right side, the cat might have even more presence. I played around with it a little just to show you what I mean. I added a bit to her shoulder (very roughly!) so you have more of a sense of her direction.

This is a beautiful painting as is, so feel free to ignore my thoughts! The colors in the fur are just gorgeous.

Deborah

Rose Baggs
08-17-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks for your very kind words Annette!!! I'm planning to buy some good quality paper soon! :cat:

Deborah..thanks so much...you are such a great artist and a wonderful teacher as well. I loved what you did to my picture...looks great! I will try to do what you've suggested! Thanks again!!! :clap:

Dark_Shades
08-17-2004, 08:34 AM
love Dee's crop, it really enhances your work ........ lovely cat, beautiful blue eyes

meowmeow
08-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Wow! If you do this well with crappy paper I can only imagine what you will produce with good stuff. Go for it!
And I like Deborah's crop.

Sandy

Rose Baggs
08-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks so much Dark Shades and Sandy. Here is the updated drawing with Deborah's suggestions! I loved it!

khourianya
08-17-2004, 10:40 AM
The first thing that strikes me on this piece is how real the fur looks, right down to the soft fuzzies in the ears. I am quite impressed. Great work!

Deborah Secor
08-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Rose, it's wonderful!

Deborah

Rose Baggs
08-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks very much Cori!!! And Thank you once again Deborah! :D

karenlee
08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
I and my cats (siamese, burmese and tonkinese) all love your painting too!

prestonsega
08-17-2004, 04:12 PM
The softness of the fur is so touchable...it's purr-fect!

Rose Baggs
08-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks so very much Karen and Prestonsega!!! :cat:

Deborah Secor
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
I and my cats (siamese, burmese and tonkinese) all love your painting too!

What does a tonkinese cat look like???

Deborah

Rose Baggs
08-20-2004, 08:49 AM
What does a tonkinese cat look like???

Deborah

I've searched a bit about Tonkinese cat...and I've learned that they are a blend of Siamese and Burmese...but it says that it's gotten the best of the two...heheheh Pretty interesting! If you want to know more about it..here is the website:
http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/tonkinese.html

Have a nice day!