PDA

View Full Version : WEEKLY SKETCH THREAD Aug 16-22, '04

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Welcome to the Weekly Sketch thread...a place for fun and growth. We had many interesting works submitted last week and I am anxious to see the offerings in store this week.

This thread is open to everyone working (or just playing) in pastels - hard, soft or oil. Its pupose is to help you find some pastelling time during the busy week by doing quick studies which take 1 hour or less.

Sketch directly from life or a photo. The goal of this thread isn't to produce a masterpiece, ( although you just might!!!) This is the place to post anything you've done during the week which took you under one hour....exercises, doodles, or complete paintings...in any style. It is a safe place to experiment, break the rules, or sharpen your present skills by working within a set time frame. Everyone understands that by working at such a fast pace, you probably haven't had a chance to properly evaluate you work, much less be ready to receive a critique, but if you desire suggestions from other members, just ask.

Whether you're new to pastels or a galleried professional we hope to see some of your sketches here. The most important thing to remember about this thread is just have FUN!

Try to keep your sketch time under 60 minutes, but if you go overtime, post your work anyway. Losing track of time while working is a sign that you're enjoying the versatile medium of pastels. ....and that's what it's all about!!!

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Here is the link to last week's sketch thread for anyone who might have missed out. Enjoy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2599867#post2599867

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2004, 11:57 AM
I'll comment here on Barb's selection of pastel sketches - hooray for you for thinking outside the box! I'm really curious about the bowling ball series - but I'm sure you'll share when you are ready to - :clap:

You are truly an inspiration to us all!

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Aw shucks... it was the challenge from Sooz that inspired the work. It sure was fun to have a dare and get some nice pieces out of it.

Perhaps I'll attend to the latest challenge of popcorn and coke - but I guess you'll just have to check in later to see... B

soap
08-16-2004, 01:42 PM
That link is from this thread - this is last week's:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208184

soap
08-16-2004, 01:48 PM
WHOAA.........LOL............ROFL......BARB!! You are too much! :clap: :clap: :clap: What fantastic paintings - I love that last one....who would have thought that even cleaning products can be turned into art..........you've made my evening! LOL.............chuckle.......LOL........

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Sophie, Thanks and we'll expect to see a dirty diaper series from you next!!!

tee hee... Imagine the artwork in those poopy bundles.... B

soap
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
oh, I don't think this thread runs for another six months does it? You'll have to wait....:D
How about a growing belly?

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Sophie..thanks for correcting the mistaken link....("duh" to me!!..lol)...Actually it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention :rolleyes: (whew..got out of that one!)

SweetBabyJ
08-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Preston was on my case about this thread before 9 am my time- waaaaaay too easrly to be creative. But I promised, so I did it. From my head, a kind of study to see if this'd even work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2004/9169-weeklysketchstudygs.jpg

yep- in grayscale 'cause it's a study in light and shade. Longest part was trying to lay it all out- and then I fussed over the damned tree 'cause I really hate doing trees- but I think, if I crop into it and get just what I want- the porch rails and shadows, I might be able to pull it off. We'll see.

In colour so you see what I'm trying to do kinda, somewhat, maybe....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2004/9169-weeklysketchstudy.jpg

Yep- I see all the little "offs"- the welcome mat thingie, the shaows in front, the chairs, etc, et al- but hey- I'll figure it out- maybe.....

8" x 15" or so, Wallis, 58 minutes with laundry break and a quick sammich.

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 05:06 PM
:clap: :clap: Cheers to the girl in the front row...always got her hand up 1st!!!

Julie, this is a way cool study of not only value but hue..Nice complimentary color combo....good example of 1 point perspective with the tree just to the right of the vanishing point. (you say you don't like trees, but they always speak highly of you!...lol)...I know quick sketching isn't appealing to you, but yours always have a charm to them.....perhaps due to the loose nature these timed exercises force on you.. Can we expect to see this scene in larger format with its own thread soon???

OK, who's next?? :) Jump on in..the waters have now been tested!

bogbeast
08-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Okay, Preston, it sounds like you have been twisting Julie's arm AWfully hard to get her to be the first post in here (ouch, Julie! how can you paint after all that? :p )--so I'll add something to the pile, just to keep her company! Granted, it's a couple weeks old, but it will have to do. I've since finished it, but I'm going to put that and my original set up in it's own thread--isn't that the right way to do it?

This was originally entitled "Dinner", as most of it was eaten when I gave up on it --except the lemon! I was attempting to do a broken color effect, after reading Jackie Simmonds instructional thread, but was totally disgusted by the result!

about 8" x 10", rough side of canson blue-gray, largely conte (hard), the odd red thing is my pocket knife, done on a table outside in late afternoon

prestonsega
08-17-2004, 05:51 PM
"but was totally disgusted by the result!"

Libby ........you're being your harshest critic!!! ..This is a great sketch,,,,nice still life set up..wll defined light source....loose painterly style...items read well, lemon, tangerine, bottle of root beer( :rolleyes: )....composition unified by your repeating colors at strategically located areas of the picture plane.....As the young folks say nowadays, "No that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!

Did you finish this particular piece or is this a prepatory sketch? Any way, we'll be looking in the studio to see what you came up with! I'm surprised you were able to fill the tooth as much as you did on the rough side of Canson with hard pastels...hmmm. Nice job!

PS..pay no attention to SBJ,...she's a whiner. :eek: ..uh, I mean winner...lol!

bogbeast
08-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh, Preston, you are a sweetie! and to be able to find that much to compliment in that version, you must have eagle eyes, or is that rose-tinted glasses? :D Once I get them posted (I'm working around my partner's need for the computer, it's not as easy on my older Pc as on her new laptop), my pictures of roses are dedicated to you--a virtual bouquet!

I simply have NO skill with broken color--it looks so cool, I really hadn't ever done it before, and it came out nothing like some of the gorgeous stuff I've seen---of course, that gorgeous stuff has probably done by people who first picked up pastles a little more than six months ago, but has reason ever entered into the warped logic of a perfectionist's brain? :D

dexonsbabe
08-17-2004, 06:28 PM
great work again sweetbaby...........still trying to finish that fish and doing some decorating but if I get a spare hour will try to fit something in.........good luck all

prestonsega
08-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Libby..I'll be looking for my roses....Your sketch must have inspired me. I was making a snack when I noticed how colorful the ingredient containers were. Anyhow....here's a 1 hour, 5 min. sketch that came from about.

9"x12" Unison / Sennelier softies on Brown LaCarte

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2004/29946-pbj-soft.jpg

SweetBabyJ
08-18-2004, 01:58 AM
It's PERFECT!!!! Look at the jelly glimmering! I can even tell what kind of peanut butter! And no grays!!!!! Hooray Preston!!! I LOVE IT!

Khadres
08-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Wow! You guys are cookin' this week! Nice porch, SBJ! And the broken color lemon still life is way cool, too, Libby! I have to wonder what the heck I started with the peanut butter tho! That is absolutely FABULOUS, preston! What fun! Y'all are all doing so beautifully with these quick sketches, heaven knows what you'll do with more time! Sheesh! I'm just gonna put my stuff away and go make a peanut butter sammich!

bogbeast
08-18-2004, 02:31 AM
Wow, Preston--should I offer you roses more often? And here you will have to wait until tomorrow for them, because Melissa is on her computer now! But wait until you see them/it--cream colored at the base of the outer petals and in the middle, deep rosy red on the tips of the outter petals, and fragrance to die for--oh, too bad I can't package up the smell and e-mail it to you all! It's called Diablo Double, I assume after Mt Diablo, an old volcano about 45 minutes or less SE of Berkeley...Maybe we should make the pics part of this week's TOPP / FOPP / Potluck :D . If I can up the contrast enough--the cream middle parts are washed out on some of the pics, hence the delay. Man'ana....

Kathryn Wilson
08-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Julie, this reminds me of your kitchen interior - another good one! The colors are wonderful - hope you work on this some more!

Good heavens, Libby, stop being so hard on yourself - this still life is just what this thread is all about sketching, learning and having fun. :clap:

And Preston, how on earth someone can make a beautiful painting out of a PB&J sammich is beyond me - you should post this in it's own thread so everyone can enjoy it. It's wonderful. I keep looking at all the different parts and wondering how you did it - that bread crust is amazing.

RobynS
08-20-2004, 01:22 AM
It has taken me all week to find a spare hour to do some art and it wasn't really spare anyway. I had a playground duty in a computer lab so I sat in the corner and sketched this apple that was intended for my lunch - 'No eating in the computer rooms, girls!'

I haven't played with my softies for a while so this is a 'getting to know my old friends' exercise.

Stabilo pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes blue-grey paper and took about 40 minutes.

prestonsega
08-20-2004, 01:49 AM
You got a lot of info on papar with pencils in only 40 minutes....Did you show your students your finished sketch??? I bet they think your the deal!!You've indicated 2 light sources; one being stronger than the other creating greater interest. Did you sketch from memory or was this your lunch??? Either way, its delicious!

ps...I like your muffin and coffee sketches in your internet journal, too. Neat!

RobynS
08-20-2004, 03:30 AM
Thanks for taking a look and commenting, Preston. Yes, there were two light sources, which was a bit of a pest, because it threw the shadows and highlights into a tizz. There is a door to the outside on one side of the room and a row of windows on the other.

I'm useless at sketching from memory - I have to have a reference all of the time. Must be a function of advancing years :( The apple in the sketch was nothing more than an apple core by the time I reached the staffroom at the end of my lunchtime duty.

I am pleased that you bothered to take a look at my sketch weblog, too. Sometimes I think that I am just talking to myself :rolleyes: It has also just dawned on my that you are responsible for that wonderful peanut butter and jam sandwich a little way up the page. Inspirational!

Cheena K
08-20-2004, 05:44 AM
This is tooo gooood!!! It's lunch time here in India and I am hungry....
Lovely work!!! mouthwatering! :clap: :clap:

Libby..I'll be looking for my roses....Your sketch must have inspired me. I was making a snack when I noticed how colorful the ingredient containers were. Anyhow....here's a 1 hour, 5 min. sketch that came from about.

9"x12" Unison / Sennelier softies on Brown LaCarte

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2004/29946-pbj-soft.jpg

soap
08-20-2004, 06:14 AM
It's fantastic - that jam is brilliant - great colours.
Still don't get how Americans can eat jam and peanut butter together...........:D:D

dexonsbabe
08-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Love all the work...........that sandwhich looks good enough to eat Preston........ok then heres my attempt using my new box of soft pastels not a master piece but did do it under an hour......need lots of practise with these they are so different from the pastel pencils :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2004/47357-apple_and_cake.jpg

Khadres
08-22-2004, 11:37 AM
I agree that peanut butter painting is lucious! In fact, I broke down the night I first saw the piece in here and HAD a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for an evening snack! Shame on you, Preston, for leading me into temptation! :evil:

Lori, your apple looks great for a first softie ptg. It's understandably evident that you're in transition from a more "drawing" to "painting" technique here and this will become much easier with practice. If you haven't checked there yet, stop in Jackie's forum and stock up on her tips for new soft pastel users...soft pastels ARE quite different from pencils, but LOTS of fun, too, so just dive in and do the next one and the next and the next. You obviously already know a lot about color, etc....so it's just the nuances of soft pastels that will take a bit of experimenting with. Have fun! You'll love the medium!

prestonsega
08-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Lori... :clap: Your on your way to the pastel hall of fame..Pastels are a "horse of a different color", and just like anything new, you will continue to grow with every effort...I bet if you turned around and did this again and compared them, you would see what I mean,,,but you already know that...I am so proud of the leap you made in only 1 week!!!!!! (that's why I feel this thread is so important to my own growth.)

(Sorry I didn't reply sooner....the WC program failed to send me an email of your post :mad: ...my apologies..)

Don't totally ignore your pastel pencils..I find them often useful for the finishing stage to sharpen edges, add details, and feather the soft pastels.

prestonsega
08-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Cheena..thanks for the comments...pbj's are a favorite lunch of mine. Matter of fact,,that's what I'm going to make when I finish this post.

Sophie...LOL...try a pbj...(peanut butter and jam).....I'll be glad to make you one too...You'll be glad you did! I appreciate your visiting us and commenting. BTW, you still have the rest of the day to get a submission in this week's thread...( Uh oh...out comes the whip again. ..whishhh....crack! :evil: )

Sooz...our faithful cheerleader..your comments are always appreciated... thanks )

prestonsega
08-22-2004, 04:55 PM
I just had to try out this scrap of acid free black velvet paper this morning...It was a learning experience with images from recall. Different kind of suppport, but with practice, I could learn to like it for some applications

3"x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/29946-velour-colorstudy.jpg

It gave me an appreciation for those Elvis on black velvet paintings....lol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2004/29946-velour-bw-study.jpg

dexonsbabe
08-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks Preston, Sooz for your words of encouragement.......I did have lots of fun although glad my boyfriend was at work got pastel dust all over his new carpet :D.

Will def keep doing these each week.