PDA

View Full Version : Bell Pepper Study

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 09:57 PM
This is a color study from life I did today until dinner time came around and my models met their demise...I finished with a ref pic....I piddled with it through several episodes of the Monk Marathon on USA Network. The colorful collection of peppers seemed to call out to me for attention, so they got it. This was a learning exercise so all comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated..(I realize the drapery could use some more work so comments as to how to procede with it are also requested) 9" x 12" Sennelier, Unison on Canson Dark Green paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/29946-r-y-g-pepperpaint.jpg

Dyin
08-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Good study, Preston! I like how you have soft and hard edges on the green and yellow peppers and think that would give the cut pepper more dimension if you did more of that there too. I think your folds are off to a good start...just deal with them like you did the indentations on the pepper...same thing!
btw...was lurking in the sketch thread...you're doing a great job over there and inspired some way cool work :D

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Good study, Preston! I like how you have soft and hard edges on the green and yellow peppers and think that would give the cut pepper more dimension if you did more of that there too. I think your folds are off to a good start...just deal with them like you did the indentations on the pepper...same thing!
btw...was lurking in the sketch thread...you're doing a great job over there and inspired some way cool work :D

Thanks Sue...this is the kind of feedback I was looking for....hadn't occured to me to soften some of the edges of the red pepper...I'll repost the study with changes tomorrow or the next day, according to how the c&c's come in.

Hey..appreciate your popping in at the sketch thread...there were some neat works presented this week, huh?.....I'm already looking forward to next weeks collection,,,(you know it is open to ops, too, still.. :p )

SweetBabyJ
08-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Nice grouping- and I must say the red pepper looks absolutely perfect. The others, though, are a bit anemic of colour, Preston- they just don't *sing* out as green and yellow. C'mon- don't be afraid of it- get in there with the brightest GREEN you've got, and then shape 'em from there with dark blues and purples, and highlight in yellows. For the yellows, go in with browns and (carefully) purples, and highlight in the lightest "orange" you've got. Make 'em sing "Goulasch" to me....

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Nice grouping- and I must say the red pepper looks absolutely perfect. The others, though, are a bit anemic of colour, Preston- they just don't *sing* out as green and yellow. C'mon- don't be afraid of it- get in there with the brightest GREEN you've got, and then shape 'em from there with dark blues and purples, and highlight in yellows. For the yellows, go in with browns and (carefully) purples, and highlight in the lightest "orange" you've got. Make 'em sing "Goulasch" to me....

hmmm....I was holding back on the green,,,(I think it goes back to when my phthalo green got taken away ..lol)...and the yellow pepper was a challenge 'cause it 'aint yellow. I did get some mud started in the shadows with the purple...... (btw..we got plenty of left overs if your in the neighborhood tomorrow,,peppered rice, peppered beef, peppered squash..lol)

As always, I value your opinion...thanks

SweetBabyJ
08-15-2004, 10:47 PM
No Goulasch Archipelego?? sheeeeeesh! I'm up for the peppered beef and rice, but you can keep the squash.

Yer right, on canson, purple'd make mud- stick with maroons and browns- they'll work.

Work it, Preston....

PS- I got to watch Sybil today- uncut (except for 263 commercials) That is STILL a good movie....

judwal
08-16-2004, 07:29 AM
Well..here goes another differing opinion. I think the peppers are just fine...it's the backgound color that bothers me. It needs to be a different color...just what color I'm not sure but that palty white isn't working.

chookbrown
08-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Nice peppers!! You have been given some great ideas here. But I also like it just the way it is.

Cheers, Colleen :D:D

meowmeow
08-16-2004, 09:18 AM
my models met their demise
And a gruesome one at that! But I bet they were yummy.

I think this works well, especially as a study. The background could use some more color but it isn't a big deal. I can see that you were playing with all the colors in it and maybe it needs a little more but it doesn't really bother me.
I think the red pepper is fine..if I did anything I wouldn't soften it but sharpen a bit where it was cut...see different opinions. We are just trying to confuse you.
Frankly, I would leave it alone. It's a nice composition...your eye doesn't wander off the page at all..and the color is nice, a little soft but so what. It is more mellow than bold....but who is to say that is wrong.
Good job!

Sandy

K Taylor-Green
08-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Good piece, Preston. I like your peppers as is, or as was, as you have eaten them!! Agree the background could use something. Now you have all kinds of options! :D

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Preston - Great job on this and personally I'm most impressed by the green pepper and all the fabulous colors and shades of green and blue you've brought into this shape.

The red... sorry but it's just not laying down right and I'm not sure if you need to make it up or not - but perhaps it needs a bit more "grounding" shape or color in the background.

Wonderful choice of subject matter and I hope they were delicious.

Barb

prestonsega
08-16-2004, 02:00 PM
...see different opinions. We are just trying to confuse you.

Sandy

Sandy.....I don't find this confusing, but enlightening! Differences is what "makes up a horse race". What a boring world if we were to all paint bell peppers alike. I think the various opinions between artists is a mirror of the general public's view. In his interview with Pastel Journal, Alan Flatman addressed this issue when commenting on winning a competition. To paraphrase, he points out that the selection of a winning painting is simply a judge's opinion at that given moment, thus we shouldn't get discouraged if we don't win, and don't bask too long in the glory if we should win!

I see merit to all the opinions given so far and I would love to hear some more, particularly from some of our new members. Remember, your opinions are as valid as that of the seasoned pastelist....sometimes the unjaded eye can see what I might not.

Thanks for the feedback, ya'll!