PDA

View Full Version : Look what I learned! Silver Cores!!!

BeadBraker
08-15-2004, 08:24 PM
I have been dying to learn silver core beads for over a year.

I have the lapidary journal article, but heck I didn't even understand the directions (ie: anneal and pickle metal).

I tried to schedule a Tink class one on one...but just when we got ready to hook up...her computer died and I think my email got lost in cyber space!
Then her schedule filled up with her groovy classes.

Then MY schedule filled up....etc.

ANYWAY....I found a place in St. Louis (1.75 hrs from me) and it rocks!
www.craftalliance.com if anyone lives there.

I had 2 classes and LOOK!! Silver cores!!! Now, be kind, they are not all polished up yet, but I DID IT!!!!! YIPPEEEE!

I cracked the first bead I did (not shown) and then did these 2 today. My very first survivors! I *did* chip a small bit of white on the black and white one, but it's just for me so who cares????

And I learned to bezel set and soulder things......look out world....will have TWO torches now!

:D :D :D :D I am one happy camper!
Anyone out there learning new cool stuff and wanna share their joy of learning new stuff???

Nancy B in IL

BeadBraker
08-15-2004, 08:49 PM
oooo..meant to add...I still plan to visit Tink someday.....only now there will be mostly vessels on the menu I think. :D

NYCindy
08-15-2004, 09:04 PM
YIPPPEEEE! Nancy! Way kewl beads! Glad you learned how to do something new!

Yep! I do want to share! I learned to fuse this past weekend! I posted pictures in another thread - but learning something new really gets the juices flowing! :-)

Cindy

I have been dying to learn silver core beads for over a year.

ANYWAY....I found a place in St. Louis (1.75 hrs from me) and it rocks!
www.craftalliance.com if anyone lives there.

I had 2 classes and LOOK!! Silver cores!!! Now, be kind, they are not all polished up yet, but I DID IT!!!!! YIPPEEEE!

Anyone out there learning new cool stuff and wanna share their joy of learning new stuff???

Nancy B in IL

GinaJ
08-15-2004, 09:12 PM
wOw! Those are really COOL!!!!!!!!! Nice work!!!!! :clap:

chroma
08-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Those are really nice - I want to learn that myself!
bj

Kim Watanabe
08-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Aren't silver cores fun? I haven't tried any that big, but it's on my list. Yours look great!!!

kwstudios
08-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey!!! Super duper!! The Craft Alliance is where I teach my bead classes!
Who is your teacher?

Karen

BeadBraker
08-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Karen!!

Craft Alliance is awesome.

I was working with Peg Fetter who is very sweet and kind, and she looks like she could be Sheryl Crow's sister, I swear!

I wish I lived closer.....I would totally hang out there and learn EVERYTHING...including loomwork, painting, etc. (sigh)

I had the best time. Peg rocks!
Nancy B in IL

magpie999
08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Nancy-
those beads are amazing!!!!!!!

margaretz
08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
They look great! Awesome job- can't wait to see bezel-set glass pieces (THAT's something I'm itching to learn...). Great job!

moondanse
08-16-2004, 09:55 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: AWESOME BEADS :clap: :clap: :clap:

If I ever get around to making lampwork beads, doing the Silver Core is ON MY LIST! ;)

BeadGoddess
08-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Those are FRIGGEN COOL!!!!! I am soooo envious I want to learn how to do those, but I'm afraid to go out and do it....

Is it as hard or harder than you thought?

They are great - GOOOD goooing :)

BeadBraker
08-17-2004, 12:30 AM
awww.. you all are so nice!

I was jumping up and down with excitement.....I had waited sooo long.

Well, it basically works like this:

1) buy sterling tubing same size as your big hole mandrel

2) make your beads on a big hole mandrel..."easier" to use a softer glass (like white) that is easy to move around, and will stay hot enough to move around the mandrel well. You want it even. Anneal, clean.

3) mark the tubed so 2 mm hangs out on either side of bead (bead s/not be snug to the tube). Saw that tube on your mark, and file it smooth.

4)Anneal metal (you heat it up til it turns dull red, using solder torch), this softens the metal.

5) Put it in the pickle solution (removes the ick from step 4), then wash it.

6) Put the tube in the bead, set it on end. Use dapping tools to flare the ends (hit it SOFTLY...the metal will move). Turn over, tap tap, turn over tap tap, etc.

7) Then use a chasing tool or the flat end of the dapping tool, tap the flared edges flat to bead.

Then you polish out scratches with white diamond (a bar of polishing compound) and then red rouge (bar of polishing compound).

Yippee! done!
It was easier in some ways.....but it is a nail biter, on each tap, you are "waiting" for the bead to crack. It is time consuming a bit. And silver is expensive.

I loved the whole thing!

dkaton
08-17-2004, 10:25 AM
I love the silver core. Great job!

Could you tell me what gague tubing you were using, and what issue of lapidary journal the instructions are in?

I am a friend of Peg's, I told her about the wonderful praise you gave her.
She was happy.

Now I need to get her to teach me....

one day

Cole
08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Gorgeous, Nancy! I can't wait to see them (assuming you'll bring them to the next meeting!).

I've ranked this thread with 5 stars for the great instructions!

BioImage
08-17-2004, 12:14 PM
Way to go! I've just discovered combining metal and glass and am having a ball with it. If you don't have one yet, a Foredom tool with the foot pedal will make finishing and polishing a lot easier. Tap on.

Robert

BeadBraker
08-17-2004, 08:51 PM
the lapidary journal with the instructions are in June 2001.

DO NOT order the "copies" from lap journel...they are super duper lousy black and white copies. Get a real back issue.

That said, the instructions were not stellar for a beginner.....you need a metals background to "get" some of it. That is why I found a person to teach me.

For those in St. Louis...Peg was an awesome teacher.
dkaton: I don't know gauge, I just ordered sterling tubing from www.metalliforous.com (I may have gotten that link wrong, so do a web search first...I can't spell it right). I ordered the same size as the mandrels are. It was the only gauge in that size (1/2 inch and 5/8ths I think).

Nicole.....I am soooo glad you came to the Morton Molten Maniacs bead meeting (central Illinois group). I will definitely show the technique sometime for the demo portion of the meeting. We all share info there, no prissy folks hogging info are allowed! :)

Robert....don't know what a foredom is....a polishing flexshaft kinda tool? They had one in the metals room. What I want is a rolling mill! Those things are cool! I wish I knew how to make my own metal stamp too. Got any old metalsmith stuff ya wanna part with? :-)

Nancy B in IL

snootyvixen
08-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Wooohoo Nancy!!! Those beads ROCK!

I'm hoping to catch a ride with 80's music-lovin' Nicole to the next meeting - I've misse you guys!!! You better bring those beads!

vikki

Cole
08-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Wooohoo Nancy!!! Those beads ROCK!

I'm hoping to catch a ride with 80's music-lovin' Nicole to the next meeting - I've misse you guys!!! You better bring those beads!

vikki
LOL.... Well, I will listen to other music too. MAYBE the 90's channel, MAYBE disco or country, we'll let the mood decide! :D
Just remind me of the meeting, and I would be glad to drive!

snootyvixen
08-17-2004, 11:33 PM
LOL.... Well, I will listen to other music too. MAYBE the 90's channel, MAYBE disco or country, we'll let the mood decide! :D
Just remind me of the meeting, and I would be glad to drive!

Hehe - I listen to ANYTHING! Have you noticed that 90% of the radio stations in town are either country or christian?

We had a ball listening to 70's & 80's music on the way up to the cabin retreat - just that dufus here doesn't know all the songs! LOL!

Vikki