PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin Dance

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Loved this ref pic when I saw it - (VasilKadifeli) sp? RIL. I have been working fairly small as I ease my way back into my art... This one is bigger.. 24 x 18.5 approx. On grey Art Spectrum. Mostly hard pastels so far to get the underlying ground colors going on. This is about 1-2 hours work so far.

"Dolphin Dance"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/9218-dolphindance1.jpg
and...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/9218-dolphindance2.jpg

Welcome all C & C. Thank you for taking the time to look in!

Colleen :D:D

Khadres
08-15-2004, 06:08 PM
The ground looks like a sand color to me or did you tone the gray with a tan color? At any rate, this is going to be so cool...I can tell already. Enjoy! I love dolphins, BTW.

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
The ground looks like a sand color to me or did you tone the gray with a tan color? At any rate, this is going to be so cool...I can tell already. Enjoy! I love dolphins, BTW.

Ya know Sooz, I think you are probably closer to right... it is a weird grayish tan... how's that for specific!! Thanks for looking in!!

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Pulling up a chair to watch - grabbing a cuppa joe to keep me company. I really like how you are handling the water ripples so far.

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 07:03 PM
Waves to Kat! :D I'll try not to take so long you grow cobwebs!! ;)

Ok, now have continued to add base colors for the water. Trying to establish shapes/values etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/9218-dolphindance3.jpg

This is when I feel I have lost the plan and it gets ugly.. hard to keep pushing thru to continue defining those shapes.

Any suggestions most welcome.. Thanks for looking.

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 07:20 PM
This is definitely going to be a masterpiece Chooky - keep going and thanks for letting us sit on your shoulders as you go along.

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 07:25 PM
You've got all the time in the world - take it easy, step away from it when you feel you are pushing. I usually walk away from a painting for a few minutes, then come back to it with fresh eyes. You could also take this photo and put it into Photoshop, or whatever program you use, and see how it's looking in value. Those little thumbnails help too.

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Lookin'good so far, and this virtual coffee never grows cold lol! I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Dyin
08-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Ha...a not too ugly stage from here! The nice thing about a WIP is you took a pic at the beginning while it was laid out according to 'plan'. You can go back and get a sense of what it was and then the aHA moment will hit :D I think it's off to a great start and am totally confident it will fall right back into place.
Kat, can I sit next to you for this? Brought my own coffee!

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 10:45 PM
LOL Barb... I have very broad shoulders so climb aboard!!! :D:D

Thanks Kat :D

Libby I just had to go look up your name.. didn't want to call you boggy or beast!!! Thanks for looking in :D

Thank you Sue, you are too generous!! :D

Ok, have pushed water more and tried to use the suds trail to lead the eye to the dolphins... just not getting a sense of the most contrast being quite on the focal point. Will be pushing the values of the dolphins a bit more I think.

Other suggestions would be much appreciated at this point???

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/9218-dolphindance4sml.jpg

Will be doing as Kat suggested and taking a break on this one for the rest of the evening, stepping back and looking again tomorrow.

Cheers all and thank you again for your kind comments.

SweetBabyJ
08-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I love the comp, and think this is a great piece for pastels. The dolphins are coming along VERY nicely, some deeper colours will make them pop right on out. The water's reading rather flat, though, and that could be a lack of values other than white for lights, but could also be the overall blue-green-cool colours used.

If it were mine, I'd lay in some glazes of a dark rich blue in the wave troughs, and highlight with some light yellows rather than white. The white looks too cold against the greens and blues, to me.

Nice piece coming though- take a break, you deserve it.

Dyin
08-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Colleen...just a thought here...your suds do work well to bring the eye to the dolphins, but then the far ones lead your eyes right away. Perhaps using a very, very pale blue for the 'white' there in the back would help. And as another thought, could a little red tone find its way into the dolphins? A touch of red against those blue greens would really be nice...maybe sort of intertwined in the darker areas? It's so much easier to come in with fresh eyes, so taking a break is a good idea.

vasilkadifeli
08-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Colleen thanks for the PM, I wouldn't have an idea you had painted and posted it in pastels... it is coming out wonderful... really good work :clap:... I don't know anything about pastels but wouldn't expect something so soft and smooth... also the reflection of light on the water surface is so well done :clap:...

ElfeUra
08-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Hi,
I think, water is the most difficult thing to paint -- and yours is just wonderful :clap: :clap:
Love the dolphins also :)

Rita

Redsy333
08-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Looks great hun! I need more to make a call on what it might need, at this point it looks fantastic so far;)

chookbrown
08-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Julie, Yes definitely need to break up the water with some deeper shades and work more on dolphin definition. Thanks for the great suggestions, will be using them!! :D

Sue, That white patch at the top left has been bothering me also. I will be introducing more color to it to differentiate it from the leading white trail for sure. Thanks for your ideas, they will be most useful!! :D

Hey Vasil, thought I would show you what I had drawn from your ref pic which was so much fun. Thank you again!! :D

Rita, I don't think I've ever done a painting with this much water before and yes it is hard to get it right.. needs more work, and I hope I don't kill it completely! Thank you! :D

Redsy, you need more?? Never satisfied are ya... :rolleyes: LOL jk.. Thanks for looking in. :D

Thanks again folks, will be trying to get this one finished and off the table today.

Cheers for now, Colleen :D:D

bnoonan
08-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Looking fantastic - is this inspired by your Aussie team of water wonders we are seing doing magic in the Olympics?

I'll just let you paint it your way - it's too good for me to comment on right now.

Barb

Rose Baggs
08-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Colleen...what a wonderful artwork!!! Loved it!!! :clap:

chookbrown
08-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey Barb,... I never thought about my affinity for water... maybe it is the Olympic swim team that has got me going...LOL... I used to live right on the Pacific and was a definite water baby!! Thanks. :D

Rose, thanks for looking in and your nice comments!! :D

OK. I'm sick of doing water and being blue and green all over... :D Calling this done unless someone can come up with something obvious that I just can't see anymore... I took this outside to photograph and it really made the colors pop more.

24 x 18.5 - On greyish/tan Art Spectrum. Mix of pastels, but mostly hard until the very end.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2004/9218-dolphindancedoneMed.jpg

Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions they really helped!

Dyin
08-16-2004, 06:49 PM
ah, you really worked this out! You have a lovely wet effect on those dolphins and the trail of white foam leads you right in now, just like you wanted :D It was fun coming along for the ride, thanks for a beautiful ending! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Didn't get a chance to get back to this until just now - wow, you really punched up the water reflections - this is incredible work.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pinecone Conniff
08-16-2004, 07:36 PM
This was a super thread to scroll thru!! I love your painting!! :clap:
Annette

meowmeow
08-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Yikes...almost missed this gem! What a beauty it is..I love how you did the water...it was fun to watch your progress through it all.
Super job!

Sandy

Khadres
08-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Turned out just lovely! Beautiful work!

Dark_Shades
08-17-2004, 08:36 AM
I had this image to do .......... so this will be a great help in how you approached it.... thats if I ever get time again to paint lol ..... lovely water Chook..... looks so fresh and inviting... great reflective lights