PDA

View Full Version : Kinks in Leather Cord

GraceGirl
08-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Hello everyone;
I am brand new to Wet Canvas and almost brand new to the world of lampwork :D
I have a quick question about leather cord - I bought some in bulk and am finding that it has a lot of kinks in it. Any suggestions for removing the kinks so it will look nice and lay flat on the neck?
GraceGirl

Gingerbiscuit
08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry I can't help you with your question Grace, but I can extend a warm welcome to WC! You will like it here a lot! I'm sure that one of these talented ladies (or gentlemen, sorry!) will be able to help you. :)

froggee501
08-15-2004, 06:22 PM
what does steaming do to leather cord? if nothing bad, then it might take out the kinks... that's just a guess from the top of my head, though...

Emma

LadyArowana
08-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi Grace, weclome to WC. I have never had to straighten a leather thong, but have flattened a small piece of tanned hide. I soaked it in water till it was softer and then stretched and tacked it with drawing pins to a board and let it dry. I would do a test run with a piece first as you may get colour running/ watermarking type problems, you also need pins that won't leave rust marks. Fiona

Iona
08-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Try pulling it back and forth over a pantsleg or a smooth rounded corner like a kitchen counter and see if that helps. You don't want to wear the color off if it is dyed. Try to hold it tight with both hands. Iona

carebear
08-26-2004, 08:58 AM
I had the same problem...I held the cord by my blow dryer, to warm it up a bit, and then held both ends tightly, and ran it back and forth across my leg (yes, this does take 3 hands, so make sure to borrow a pair!)
it straightened out the cord really well...

Another one I tried was to tie a coffee mug to either end and throw the cord over a door frame, with a mug dangling on either side to stretch out the cord...I think the coffee mugs were too heavy tho, as my 2mm cord ended up being about 1.5 after it was all stretched out.

=)

good luck!

carrie