PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Ferry

Nori
08-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the photo ref go to Madmum (I believe). I just love the British Isles photo refs!! I'd love to be in this picture.

This is on Wallis 12 x 18. I am determined to improve my landscapes. So C&C always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/12946-ferry.jpg

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Nori,

This is wonderful. Look at all those colors you introduced into the water and the textures - well done. I'm not the expert on landscapes but I would think this is prize material.

Barb :clap:

Dyin
08-15-2004, 03:34 PM
Nori...look at you! I really have enjoyed your portrait work and now you're blowing my theory that it's hard to do both well to smithereens! :p I adore your water...colors are fantastic and it's totally believeable. People are impressionistic but convey quite well. I'm not too sure about the high dark hedges in the corner, it's a stop, but it also overpowers the rest a bit. Also think maybe the red flowers at the edge of the step pull the eye from the boat, but on the other hand it echoes the colors there too and I'm not a landscapist either. But I do like this and think it is very sucessful!! :clap:

Dark_Shades
08-15-2004, 04:15 PM
this is a beautiful piece..... love it..... the water is exceptional :clap: ... though the oars strike me as overly long, or perhaps the people small ......

really good work...... well done

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Wow, Nori, this is wonderful! I love the water - it looks so "watery" (forgive me). The flowers by the stairs don't bother as it leads my eye to the stairs, up the stairs - but then the really dark tree needs to be faded back - it just jumps right out. I'd also feather the sky at the horizon into a lighter blue - it is too solid a color right now.

Other than that, this is an amazing painting! :clap:

Nori
08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Thank you Barb, Sue, Dawn and Kat for your thoughts. Here's a re-work:

I toned down the dark tree in the upper left. I had also thought to crop it out a bit, so here is the crop. Tell me if I cut too much on the left. I also toned down the red flowers by the stairs but it doesn't show too much in the photo (wasn't a big change IRL)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/12946-ferry2.jpg

OK your'e gonna have to take my word for it. The toning down just doesn't show on my monitor. The tree is not that dark. But you were right that it should go a little greyed down. Kat, IRL the sy is pale near the hedge and gets a touch darker (not as dark as shown on the monitor) as it rises.

Dyin
08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Sometimes the darks do that, am sure it's better in RL on the dark area. I don't care for the crop though, I liked it as is. The little tone down on the flowers must have helped...it leads my eye like Kat said but doesn't seem to compete with the reds near the boat like it did before. I say it's a great landscape...how about some more??? :D

Khadres
08-15-2004, 06:05 PM
I like the original composition...it's a bit less traditional but still a very traditional concept painting, if that makes sense at all. :D The gorgeous water leads to the boat and I like the way the lefthand oar leads the eye to the stairs which naturally lead me up to the top where the wall of foliage sends me to the right and back down to the boat via the foliage on the right. It's a good thing the sky is simply done so as not to wind up being a dead end, so you thought this out very well, I think! Lovely picture!

Dark_Shades
08-15-2004, 06:27 PM
I didnt think it possible to improve of this one Nori .....well you have :clap: .... excellent love it ..... I went and looked at the ref image.... you have truly made this your own, and way surpassed the ref :clap:

Nori
08-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Thank you thank you all!

I will use the original crop.

Dawn, you were right the oars are too long. It won't be hard to shorten them a tad. What a keen eye you have!!!!

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Nori, this is gorgeous!!! I agree that the first crop was kinder. The colors are superb!!!

Colleen :D:D :clap:

judwal
08-15-2004, 07:37 PM
Fabulous colors in this one. The water is particularly well done.

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Simply excellent!!! and the perfect amount of toning down on the left hand bushes. Call the framer! :clap: :clap: :clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Truely stunning work. The colors just sing.

Vegas Art Guy
08-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Love the comp and the colors. When is a drawing of the american river in Sacramento going to grace this forum?

Nori
08-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Thanks Chook, Judwal, Bogbeast, Kate Green and Vegas Art Guy. This was fun...got to use allll my colors in the water. And the Wallis was so gracious about accepting the 800 layers I put on.

The American River huh...maybe in the fall. Apparently we have West Nile carrying mosquitos in Sacramento County now and I'm detouring around local bodies of water for the time being. But you bring up a good point I should try something local.

Ruth Grinstead
08-17-2004, 06:13 AM
This is great, I love the colours in the water.

Ruth

Kathryn Wilson
08-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Love it, Nori - the changes made perfection, although I did like the original crop too. Good catch on the oars by Dawn - I thought they were, but I know nothing about boats - :D

--------

Vegas Art Guy - where ya been!

prestonsega
08-18-2004, 02:14 AM
Not sure how I missed this...Glad I caught it.

Very inviting....soft lucious flora ...cool tempting waters.... to just be there for a day would be so therapeutic..... :clap: :clap: