PDA

View Full Version : Welsh Storm

Arnold Lowrey
08-15-2004, 09:35 AM
This one is again on Canson Mi Tientes paper - grey this time
Arnold

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/47691-Rough_seas,_Llangranog_copy.jpg

ExpressiveAngie
08-15-2004, 09:37 AM
OMG
This is so beautiful...on Canson no less!
:clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-15-2004, 10:03 AM
OMG is right!! Simply stunning!

lawsportraits
08-15-2004, 10:13 AM
This is interesting! Sorta looks sunny and calm in foreground with evil tempest toiling away in background. Is this often what it's like over there?

Heather

judwal
08-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Wonderful. Great color and confident strokes.

E-J
08-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Arnold, I don't think I've had the pleasure of viewing your work before but the subject, values and colour in this painting are very dramatic ... impressive use of the Mi-Teintes! Will look out for more of your pastels.

Kathryn Wilson
08-15-2004, 01:00 PM
This one is again on Canson Mi Tientes paper - grey this time
Arnold

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/47691-Rough_seas,_Llangranog_copy.jpg

I think I am going to have to eat my words about Canson - how on earth are you getting those wonderful colors on that paper? Wonderful work - and I for one am glad you joined us on the Pastel forum if I can see gorgeous work like this on a regular basis - :clap:

bnoonan
08-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Superb - love the dense dark colors and how they play on the rich lights.

Excellent texture and I guess one of my favorite things in the abstract quality - it has a sense of movement.

All around superb :)

Barb

Dyin
08-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Arnold, this is really great work, I love the overall movement and exciting semi-abstract colors. I notice that you left some ground showing in the center of the piece, behind the rock in the sky area. Can you explain your reasoning for this? Or was it just a 'flow with the moment' decision?

Arnold Lowrey
08-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Thank youfor your kind comments It is a full sheet canson and was a demo in front of my classes so it was done at speed ( 40 mins) and therefore that explains the bit not covered. However, it was a statement at the time so I wont alter it.
many thanks for the praise
Arnold
here is one I posted when i first joined and didn't khttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/47691-Llangranog_storm_pastel_May_2002_s.jpgnow about uploading

Dyin
08-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Uploading is a great thing! I like to see the work when I comment. Never thought you should change it, was just curious about it. I know softies are fast, but 40 minutes just floors me!
The reds are dynamic in this last one, but because you've echoed them in most of the painting that blue water just really is a super effective focal point...I also like the violets in the sky...they make the red even more vibrant. I really like looking at strong work and then trying to analyze why it works so well to move me, other than the artist's obvious passion. You use movement and strong color choices to great advantage! :clap:

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Wow--this is jaw-droppingly great! and in 40 minutes?! Please, please, do a WIP for us--the power and color use in the 3 pieces of yours which I've seen (missed your first posts, apparently) is gobsmacking wonderful! I really appreciate your sharing them with us!

khourianya
08-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Wow! This is breathtaking..you have amazing skill with your pastels. They are positively luminous. I am just starting out with pastels and you give me something to aspire to. Thank you and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Your work is so dramatic it almost takes on a fantasy feel to me...Absolutely stunning!!!!

ElfeUra
08-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Arnold,
your pastel-painting looks almost like a oil-painting -- I LOVE IT
:clap: :clap:
The dramatic is stunning.
Thanks for sharing :)
Rita

soap
08-16-2004, 07:23 AM
OMG!! So this is how I should use my pastel sticks?? This is amazing!
Thanks for sharing - a whole new look for a pastel painting!

Superb!

chookbrown
08-16-2004, 08:32 AM
How did I miss this. Its another one of your beautiful works. I too would love to see a work in progress whenever you feel inclined or have time.

Thank you for sharing your work and techniques with us Arnold.

Cheers, Colleen :D:D:D :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
08-16-2004, 09:13 AM
Breathtaking work, Arnold. I am so glad to have you with us. I enjoyed looking at your website and will enjoy seeing your work here. We can all learn from it.
Sandy

Cheena K
08-18-2004, 04:00 AM
They are both so lovely!! bright and shining! Please do a demo for us...pleeeeeze!!!

Ruth Grinstead
08-18-2004, 04:28 AM
Hi Arnold

These are lovely :clap: , I can't wait to see some more.

Ruth

ThomasStraten
08-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Stunning work!!!

I love it, and a question: did you use fixative? Some blendings are so incredible!!!

And with what do you blend (finger?, paper?, cotton sticks?)

With Canson if i use normal cotton (ouate in french) it wil lift the pastel. If i use the sticks (for the ears) it will blend quite ok.....i really don't understand that part of blending on the canson (soft side)

Thanks
Tom :clap: :clap: :clap:

Arnold Lowrey
08-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Stunning work!!!

I love it, and a question: did you use fixative? Some blendings are so incredible!!!

And with what do you blend (finger?, paper?, cotton sticks?)

With Canson if i use normal cotton (ouate in french) it wil lift the pastel. If i use the sticks (for the ears) it will blend quite ok.....i really don't understand that part of blending on the canson (soft side)

Thanks
Tom :clap: :clap: :clap:
I blend with my fingers.
If thereis too much pastel on it clogs up the tooth of the paper and fresh pastel skids and doesn't grip. A then scrape the surface with the flat of a razor blade and it takes all the spare pastel away but doesn't alter what you have already done. You can then apply fresh pastel at full strength

I never use fixative as it darkejs the pastel. It is OK for intermediate coats bur not the top.
Arnold

Grasshopper
08-20-2004, 07:07 AM
[How does he do this stuff!!!]

Takes my breath away.

Kathryn Wilson
08-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Arnold, thanks for mentioning the razor blade trick - I will have to give that a try - sound very logical!