PDA

View Full Version : Lilies on Canson Mi-Teintes

E-J
08-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Inspired by the discussion from a while back of the merits of Canson Mi-Teintes, I decided to dig some out and see if I could keep an uncharacteristically light touch. Not sure how far I succeeded, but thought I'd share the painting as I'm certainly not unhappy with it.

This is just under 13x10" on the smoother side of that gritty grey colour that I can never remember the name of. The background blue isn't quite as intense as it's showing here - it's rather more mauve.

I can't say I enjoy this surface very much. I am still in love with my Art Spectrum Colourfix, but if I were choosing a regular non-sanded paper for sketching or for a considered painting, I'd go for Winsor & Newton 'Tints' instead of Canson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/13865-15Aug04.jpg

judwal
08-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Spectacular colors. Well done.

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Yummy! I love the colors in this...the shadow is terrific. You may not like the surface, but it seems to like you!!!

Sandy

Khadres
08-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Well, some folks just like to do stuff the hard way, don't they? ;)

This is lovely..er..did you say your real name was Lily??? I will have to confess that while I've used Canson many a time in the past...it's also the reason I put off really playing with pastels for so many years, too. I'm just not really the "whisper" it on type as my former oil painters pals will attest--I used to wear out bristle brushes at an alarming rate, too. But you've shown not only that you CAN do it....but you can do it excellently well!

stonewhiteclown
08-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Your lilies become better and better, EJ! This is beautiful! The background with cool side and warm side with shadows adds another dimension!

E-J
08-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks Judy, Sandy, Sooz, Alex! Just let me know when the sight of yet more lilies starts to induce dribbling insanity and I'll maybe think about painting something else :D

Dyin
08-15-2004, 03:42 PM
E-J...don't stop painting the lilies! In fact you could think of doing a series :) This is my favorite so far...it looks pretty loose, yet conveys lily perfectly. I like that the background is kind of 3 triangular shapes...gives it an exciting continuity. Glad you said the blue was mauve...am sure it is just right. Good one...now where's the next lily study?? :evil: :D :clap:

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Terrific E-J!! What gorgeous shadows!!

Colleen :D :clap:

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:44 PM
lovely!

paloma
08-16-2004, 06:37 AM
This is lovely EJ interestingly composed - like it very much. :clap: Cheers ,Alexandra :)

ElfeUra
08-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi,
I especially love the shadows -- so natural ;)

Rita

K Taylor-Green
08-16-2004, 10:40 AM
This is wonderful EJ. Love the colors and interesting composition.

prestonsega
08-18-2004, 02:33 AM
I would have sworn I had commented on this earlier...guess I got sidetracked, but I am here now.

Are you matting and framing as you go or are you planning that dreadful day when its all over but the framing??? (Ugh!!) While this is not my favorite of the series I find it to be very interesting....the shadows cast give the lillies a unique personality setting almost a mysterious mood.

Ruth Grinstead
08-18-2004, 04:43 AM
You definitely have the hang of lilies, these are lovely.

Ruth

E-J
08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks fer yer comments :)

Sue ... the next lily study is already underway! Don't know why I'm finding them quite such captivating subjects, but I am.

Preston, most of my pastel paintings are lying flat inside a cardboard folder. I've cut mounts for a few of them but never seem to get round to buying the frames :rolleyes: Storage space will soon be a problem, so I really need to get framing and hanging!

Cherry Cola
08-19-2004, 05:59 PM
I really like the colours you used in this painting, especially the orange on the fabric. The style provides a lot of visual interest.

Cheers!