PDA

View Full Version : The Red Windmill- Arnold Lowrey

Arnold Lowrey
08-15-2004, 02:57 AM
This a soft pastel painted on bright red Canson Mi-Tientes paper full sheet size.
The pastels are mainly Unison which are superb.
Hope you like it.
Arnold
Tip
I paint my pastels vertically and cut a strip of card 5 inches wide and the length of the painting. This I fold lengthway and tuck in under the painting. This does 2 jobs. it catches all the dust and also the pastels that you drop so they don't smash on the floor.

Dark_Shades
08-15-2004, 03:59 AM
this is a beautiful and striking piece....... I see Red is going to be your 'trade mark' :) ...... all the colours are gorgeous....... I did wonder though about the Windmill reflection..... as it looks alot bigger than the windmill itself

chookbrown
08-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Colleen :D:D :clap:

LorraineG
08-15-2004, 06:39 AM
Beautiful painting. Did you paint it on the A side or B side of the Canson paper? I am thinking of getting some Unison pastels. I have a 18 portrait set, and am thinking of getting a landscape set. Just got to decide if the 18 set will have enough colours? or perhaps should get the bigger set?

Arnold Lowrey
08-15-2004, 09:26 AM
You never get enough colours. I was lucky to be paid for a demo in pastels so I got the 176 piece set You can't ever blame the pastels then
This was painted on the rough side.
Thanks
Arnold

meowmeow
08-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Gasp! Absolutely gorgeous! I love it all but the water is incredible. What a beautiful job you havedone with this!

Sandy

Khadres
08-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Wow! You must've really rubbed the colors in for it to be so smooth looking on the rough side of that stuff! Very beautiful piece! And I think you hit the jackpot with being paid in Unison pastels...that large a set here is worth a bundle! They are wonderful pastels, tho, aren't they?

K Taylor-Green
08-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!! The colors and the reflections- wow!!

lawsportraits
08-15-2004, 10:20 AM
Wow!! Beautiful!!!!

I just spent almost $300 on Unisons this last couple weeks. I feel very naughty for doing so, but I couldn't resist. I'll suffer financially for awhile but it'll be worth it i'm sure.

Heather

lawsportraits
08-15-2004, 10:24 AM
I paint my pastels vertically and cut a strip of card 5 inches wide and the length of the painting. This I fold lengthway and tuck in under the painting. This does 2 jobs. it catches all the dust and also the pastels that you drop so they don't smash on the floor.

Thanks for the tip! I've gone into mourning many times when I loose a pastel this way. :crying:

Heather

billiam
08-15-2004, 05:24 PM
wonderfully done, suberb comp. bill

Dyin
08-15-2004, 05:53 PM
What I am liking about your work is how it makes me feel. Even in a still scene like this you manage to convey visual excitement. There's been a lot of talk about following 'rule's' for painting around here lately and I notice that you don't follow some of the 'rules' and yet you still have a sucessful piece. I think it's a good shot in the arm to see that a water/sky subject does not have to be limited to a 1/3, 2/3 format and that certain areas can be exaggerated to add to the feeling more than the reality of a scene. You also have used warm colors in the distance and yet I still get a feeling of depth. So far from what i've seen here and on your site I think I can say that I really like your style and hope to see more.

Nori
08-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Your colors are so vivid and clear. I especially like your blues (which in my paintings seem to end up indifferent). I have to agree with Sue who said she liked the way your pieces make one feel. I emphatically agree. The colors excite but the balance grounds and soothes. I look forward to seeing many more of your pieces.

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Wow!

Stunning!!!

paloma
08-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Think I shall be on the look out for your work from now on Arnold. This is wonderful - so full of colour it simply shimmers!!
I like the way you blend but still show the power of your drawing skill - all so easy to lose the bare bones in the blending process. Do you finish up strengthening your initial drawing ?

I have Unison pastels but only a landscape set- never seem to have enough colours so will have to expand to a full range I think. Still experimenting with supports though I don't usually like the rough side of Canson as the honeycomb look always shows through!! Doesn't seem to in this piece of yours. Love all your work. Cheers , Alexandra :)

judwal
08-16-2004, 07:44 AM
You've nailed it. This painting is just marvelous. The colors incredible and the water is just well...superb. I'm wondering how you got those results on the "rough" side of canson. Do you blend with your fingers? Just wondering as I use canson quite often.

Arnold Lowrey
08-17-2004, 01:12 AM
What I am liking about your work is how it makes me feel. Even in a still scene like this you manage to convey visual excitement. There's been a lot of talk about following 'rule's' for painting around here lately and I notice that you don't follow some of the 'rules' and yet you still have a sucessful piece. I think it's a good shot in the arm to see that a water/sky subject does not have to be limited to a 1/3, 2/3 format and that certain areas can be exaggerated to add to the feeling more than the reality of a scene. You also have used warm colors in the distance and yet I still get a feeling of depth. So far from what i've seen here and on your site I think I can say that I really like your style and hope to see more.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the observance of fools- so i was once told.
The main problem with getting clear colours in soft pastels is that once you have placed a colour, the colours you place on top don't key in and skid.
The way around this is DO NOT SPRAY FIXATIVE.
Take a razor blade and drag it ove the area. It takes of all the spare pastel down to the toth of the paper and doesn't disturb what you have achieved!.You can place the new colours easily. This can be repeated as many times as you want. There re times to use fixative ( I was only joking) but the danger is is that is darkens and dulls your painting
Hope this helps
Arnold

Grasshopper
08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Lordy this is beautiful. I'd love to see a wip on the color of paper you're using here. I don't know why, just curious to see how it looks 'enroute.'

This is really amazing.

siberart
08-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Truly breathtaking. :clap:

Most of the superlatives have been used, so just saying ditto!

Nuno
08-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Wonderfull, love it, maybe some day I'll be doing works like this

:clap: :clap:

khourianya
08-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Wow! Your waters are, as always, stunning. I wish I could do that...maybe someday.

Also - that was a great tip about the dust catcher...I'll have to give it a try!

binkie
08-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh Arnold, it is sooooooooooooo wonderful!

gwen

MarciaJane
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Super pastel pic Arnold.. I LOVE your colours, especially the red, really makes it glow ! Well done :)

:clap: :clap:

I use Unison myself and find them wonderful !!!

Thanks for sharing.

http://marciar.port5.com/