PDA

View Full Version : ready to dye clothing

bluespade
08-14-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi. Anybody aware of other shops in addition to Dharma Trading that have ready to dye cloths? I'm looking for some more men's shirts and pants.

Assuming you can dye most white or natural cotton clothes, is there a simple way to treat them before dyeing? Or is it unneccessary if the material is 100% natural?

Also, how troublesome/common is non-cotton threads for the hemming, etc. in these clothes? Way to over come that?

Thanks. :D

lizo
08-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi!

I can answer some of your questions.

If the clothes are not ready to dye, then you will want to wash them to get the finish off the fabric so that they can take the dye evenly. Probably fabric softener would be a bad idea as well!

As for non-cotton threads used for hemming, a lot of times, those are not dyed the same color as the fabric. If the thread is 100% polyester, then the threads will probably stay a lighter color, or the original color.

I hope that this helps!!

Liz

Kerensamere
08-15-2004, 01:53 AM
I know that I've seen ads for clothing blanks in Sunshine Artist magazine recently, just can't find my most recent copy at the moment. If it turns up soon I'll post the company name.

Anything with poly threads used for hems and seams, those poly threads will show white. Most dyes will not stick to poly. I ran into this problem with mens cotton t-shirts and infant onesies. Cotton, silk, rayon, hemp, etc. all dye very well. Acrylic paints might stick to poly though.

If you haven't dealt with Dharma I highly reccomend them. I've dealt with them on and off for close to 15 years now (used to marble textiles then did a little tye dye -- still throw the occasional tye dye party, most recently purchased flame retardant for my booth this summer).

-Jen

Hykue
02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow, this is an old thread . . . I just received an order from Dharma which I am happy with except that I live in Canada and the brokerage fees at the border were ridiculously high. Does anyone know of a producer of good clothing blanks in Canada?