PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Mama and her Girls

ExpressiveAngie
08-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Approx 10x12 on more of the hateful Canson that I will be glad when it is gone and I jsut might trash it anyway because I keep using it and hating it!

Any comments welcome, I know something aint quite right...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2004/29518-Cnv0429.jpg

ExpressiveAngie
08-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Darn it I posted this in the wrong spot--- and I know better! I have reported myself.

Dark_Shades
08-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Darn it I posted this in the wrong spot--- and I know better! I have reported myself.

...... sorry lol, this made me giggle :D

...... ps, love the subject matter on this one :)

prestonsega
08-14-2004, 06:06 PM
([email protected] angie...reporting herself...like turning yourself in to the authorities....girl it was just a mistake not a crime!!!! :D )

Angie,,,I agree there is something bothering me too about this painting at this stage and I hesitate to comment with out seeing your ref pic...I'm thinking maybe it's the skin tones in the sleeping individuals... can you post the ref pic? :confused:

One thing I can identify is there needs to be more indication of a body beneath the blanket for the girl on the right.

Khadres
08-15-2004, 12:10 AM
This is coming along nicely, I think! Maybe a bit more push on the darks and lights to define the shapes...right now the values seem to be pretty similar despite the hue differences. Gonna be a winner when you're done, tho!

ExpressiveAngie
08-15-2004, 09:35 AM
Ugh...my little lightweight weekend project has quickly turned into a nightmare. I dont know why I am having so much trouble with this - the likenesses are there enough my 3 yr old named all of us but...big sigh

LOL @ dark and preston...you know you have thought more than once my God why cant folks just post where they are suppose too, and then here comes someone who knows better :p

Khadres you are right! I didnt see the value prob til you pointed it out but this piece is getting nearer the trash can regardless to your valuable help.

Thank you ladies and gentleman for your time. (even if you lost it forever on a hopeless case :D )
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/29518-Cnv0430.jpg

Khadres
08-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Oh, I think this is already improving a lot! Beginning to see more form and shape...don't throw it away for heaven sake! Especially if you've gotten the likeness already, just push the range of values a bit at a time...I know it's too easy to overdo it, so it takes some sneaking up on it little by little. Looks like fun!

Oops, almost forgot to add...how about some soft shadows on the unlit side of the heads cast onto the pillows? This would not only add dimension to the heads themselves, but would show the softness and density of the pillows and allow the heads to kinda sink into them instead of sittin ON them...if that makes sense. If I were doing this, I would also make the little one's eyes and face the focal point and lavish a lot of detail and sparkle on her

prestonsega
08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Angie......don't give up!!!! I too recognized this as you and your girls from previous posts.....sorry I didn't say so earlier,,I just assumed it was a given :( .

You've made such great strides in your work since your first post I saw (the girls ?) Perhaps you're just tired..I know that Canson can be a frustrating suppport to work on, ...It requires more forethought on my part as it won't take as many layers as a sanded surface...Don't trash this just yet..you can always do that later. Nothing is a hopeless case.

The slight changes to the blanket are already showing a more defined shape.

Chin up, shoulders back! :)

Dyin
08-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Angie...you're second is much improved. The idea of nestling the heads in the pillows is good. lose the eyeliner effect on your eye...that will make the eye look more natural without the huge swoop and extend your daughter's far closed eye just a tad more...portraits are hard just because little tiny things make big differences. Just take a little of that light blue in the blankets and use it on the pillows for indentations...and next time, give yourself a break and use paper you like...it's too hard fighting paper and subject matter! I think you'll like this lots more with those changes...it's a very nice subject!

ExpressiveAngie
08-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Khadres, Preston and Sue yall really make an ole gal feel good and silly at the same time! LOL I will stop whinning and I do appeciate that yall are so willing to help me out. Since I did work on it some more I will post what I have done and then reread what your suggestions are and see what I can do! Thanks everyone!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2004/29518-sleepyheads.jpg

Khadres
08-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Duh! I begin to see your biggest problem the more I look at this...for some reason, I assumed the light was from the left (musta been blind!) and it's not...and being from the right, it makes shadows and such that much more difficult to do. Add to that the angle of your profile and you have a really challenging thing here...which you've done remarkable well with so far, so don't give up! The little one is so cute, trying to be like a quiet little mouse while the other two sleep. With the light from the right then, try shadowing the pillow between the two sleepers quite a bit...the girl on the right might even cast a bit of shadow onto Mom's face...you might check your photo ref for that.

Hang in there!

bogbeast
08-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Oh, your most recent version has sparkle--big improvement!! this is going to be a winner, just hang in there!

a little highlight in the hair of the sleepers, to make it really clear where the light is coming from. Shadows on the pillow, ditto, and to give them some volume. Somehow clarifying the little one's hand--her fingers seem identical on my monitor (of course, I can't imagine making baby fingers on a 10x12 portrait in any case, they must be about 1/4" long!), some knuckles on fingers and hand would do it--then get ready to hang it --maybe in the little one's room!