PDA

View Full Version : The Way WIP

designbyjen
08-14-2004, 01:57 PM
like dave, don't want y'all to think i don't do anything; so here is what i'm currently working on.
it's large...the width is 36", so it's getting harder as i near the end; having to take it out of my studio nook in the garage & put it a distance away so i can squint at it & such.
i welcome any kicks in the pants & suggestions cuz i've had it around just long enough that i'm not on-fire for it anymore & not at peace w/ it. maybe i've looked at it too much & need your fresh eyes ;)
f.y.i. i will be adding an actual bracelet & rings to the female fig. & one for the male fig. too, as a sort of 'icing'.

so have at it & thanks in advance,
~~~jen
p.s. be sure & scroll down & view the whole pict. the child's hand, i feel is important & you'd miss it if ya didn't scroll down.

roger41
08-14-2004, 05:27 PM
looks really good to me Jen,

I mean your rendering of the arms and hands are just about some of the best that I have ever seen here........maybe the shadows in the the clothing like the shirt... could use a little smoother transition and blending??...but I'm really reaching to find something here....I mean it's just flat out a very well executed and enteresting work of art.....well done :clap: :clap:

Roger

Kathryn Wilson
08-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Pulling up a chair to watch, Jen - you didn't mention what medium you are working in.

LarrySeiler
08-16-2004, 02:16 PM
I'll be interested in seeing what you do with the value and color of the background neutral space/negative space as it appears the same by the feat, thru the pants surrounding the child's head, and in what might be the more distant space. It seems at this point to relatively the same and minimizes some of the potential of depth.

The subject certainly is of interest, and should be fun to follow along...

Larry

designbyjen
08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
hiyas & thanks for comments/encouragement.
this is a mixed media piece. canvas on panel, charcoal understudy w/ turps, more charcoal, pastel w/ turps.,oil pastel on top. groc. bag has encaustic on it, oil pastel on top. other designated areas, like kids shirt has texture medium on it w/ oil pastel on top.
i went ahead & added jewelry accents. the ominous blue haze around areas...i will be getting to those.
indeed, my main concern is 'what to do w/ the background'. i believe i will be taking my pict. of the painting into photoshop & 'sketching' around as a next step.
it's funny how powerful & how delicate of a balance the uninteresting background can control a piece w/ just a shift in value. how it can make it or break it!
till i post again...thanks ;)
~~~jen

TedDawson
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
This is really looking great. I think I can even see blood veins beneath the skin. Awesome hands.

If I may be so bold, I might suggest making the child's shirt a warmer color. I like the way this picture makes your imagination work to complete it.

I'm gonna say one more thing, and don't think nothin' of it, because it's just my wont to brainstorm. So this isn't a suggestion so much as that. But one way to help separate the bag from the background might be to put a name or logo or something on it. It could also be a way to lead the viewer in a certain direction if you need to. Just thining' out loud.

I've always believed if a person can draw hands, they can draw anything. That was before I tried to draw feet, though. :p

coolray
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Jen, this is awesome! Nice work. I too think that the background is too much in line with the color of the jeans. Also, just for kicks, make the boys shirt have red bands instead of blue. Just that bit of red will make the piece "pop".

Good job!

Terry

designbyjen
08-16-2004, 10:47 PM
i'm like'n this brainstorming session :cool:
truly, this piece is the sort of thing i got as a flash b-4 dozing off to sleep...so then i get to torture models into fitting the vision. of course...w/ a child being difficult...i ended up having to cut & piece.
so the main course is there...it's the extras that get to evolve & trickle in. every extra element has to be weighed like a chess move, but i like the sugg.s ted & ter. gett'in the thinker turn'in.
don't expect any more physical work on this till next week...i'll be jammed packed w/ running around preparing for 2 competitions & an out of town trip; but if any other bright ideas hit ya/anyone...be sure to comment.
:D jen

AFM159
08-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Looking good, jen! I can really see this being a standout piece!

First off the subject matter strikes a cord with me as my 1 1/2 yr old is always tugging at my pants/shorts. And I think all parents will be able to relate.

If I were to offer any sugestions ------The hands as everyone has said are exquisite (on my screen - d**n near realistic!), so when I look at it, thats where my eye goes, and stays. I have a hard time pulling my eye down to the child. I think the child needs the same amount of detail/realism then he would come forward and the piece would be more complete. Really kinda the same thing that Ted and Terry were saying to make it "pop".

As for the background - what is it where a portrait is set against a black background? chariscuro? --- no, scratch that --- just took another look at it -- was still thinking about Jason's Kerry Edwards pic --- take this one the exact opposite as Jason's --- leave the background light --- cool it a bit, to get it to recede --- and then render all the figures with the same amount of realism --- and BANG!

Just my thoughts...........

designbyjen
08-17-2004, 03:07 PM
THIS IS A SKETCH...I REPEAT, ONLY A SKETCH.
taking some of these grand idears you guys have been throw'in. i really like the bag logo idea ted, but i fear it'd change the whole tone of the piece. it did cause me to do a lot of thinking & one thing my son is ALWAYS doing is messing w/ his shirt tags. so i found myself going thru his closet, browsing thru stuff we haven't already cut the tags from, and i came across this tag that really strikes a chord for this piece. it reads: INEXCESS 2T Made in the U.S.A. not only another icing piece in an area that needs some eyeball pull...but the company name, 'INEXCESS' such a powerful dichotomy for the scene. this is just the kind of stuff i love...putting in those 'sneaky details'.
i will surely have to dye the tag a bit (i had to grey it in the sketch).
terry, the red really helps.
the background i'm still leary on but greying it more than adding color feels best...going for a dreamy feel for the whole series.
well, thought i'd show the sketch since i had time to at least workon that
thanks for the very valuable input so far & any further is welcome.
till sometime next week...
~~~jen

Meldy
08-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Wow... I am going to have to sit back and watch this evolve. Too new to even think about jumping in just yet... wouldn't know what exactly to say but wow... maybe when i get my tongue back...

sillk
08-21-2004, 05:42 PM
alright, this may sound bizarre, but the thing i noticed that really didn't sit right is the placement of the kids head. really, i'm not the kind of person that always looks right at a someone elses' crotch! but my gaze went; hand-hand-head-...what the? since the kids head is the only circle in the piece, and eyes go to circles first thing...know what i mean? i think you could get around it if you just toned down the emphasis on that one highlight on the pantleg, to the right of the kids head. it kind of goes around the head and points to the groin. then the seam...it all kind of works together to make this whirlpool of attention. maybe you'll all think i'm crazy?....but ah well.

a nicely rendered drawing. i like it. even though it's not a loudly rampaging statement, the idea behind it, as well as the execution, has a pleasant quietness that draws enough attention, makes it interesting.

designbyjen
08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
due to school starting up for my son & other malay, i still have not had a chance to implement my sketching to the original. so, i'm extending my promise to get to it for another week & still do value input.
*she turns on some 'waiting room music'*...so stay tuned folks!
sillk, i get your concern & the real issue is the success needed in pulling viewers eyes down to the child's hand on the pant leg--that is the goal. so i'll work esp. on that aspect.
~~~jen

Axl
08-27-2004, 11:23 AM
I wanna add something of worth but I can't get my mind to think of anything at this time. So simple back patting is all I can do at the present time LOL *good work!*

Mulling over the little guy on this end.

designbyjen
08-30-2004, 09:38 AM
sorry about the vast differences in color cuz of the lighting when i took these...the first one still felt like something was missing & so i extended the value... as you can see in the 2nd one's red arrow. so, i'm feeling more at peace w/ this & feel i am finished.
i feel, the child's shirt mimicking the grocery bag & w/ that tag sticking out also...as well as the shift to red trim on the shirt really pulls the eye down. many thanks for the brainstorming session, folks!
if anything still bugs anyone you can voice it...but i can't say i'll listen to it at this point :wink2:
~~~jen

AFM159
08-30-2004, 01:11 PM
No bugs from me. But I am curious as to which is the more accurate photo interms of the overall color.

Meldy
08-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey I love it. You motivate and inspire me. I would try to dig to find something that bothered me, but that would be silly since I would have to really dig. :)

designbyjen
08-30-2004, 02:16 PM
( But I am curious as to which is the more accurate photo interms of the overall color.).....sorry about the pict. lameness...being in a hurry the one day & the wrong outdoor light this morn. i'd say it's a balance between the two.

designbyjen
09-05-2004, 11:52 AM
okay dave...found some time to take a good pict.
unfortunatly, i guess because the piece is so big...then having to fit w.c. confines...a lot of detail is lost & it does appear darker on the web than what i uploaded it from.???
sorry for that folks!
~~~jen

coolray
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Jen, you did it! I love it overall! The whole 'feel' of the piece is very good. I see it soft and dreamy, even though you say it's darker here. Well worth the wait.

Now to finish my piece. I guess I am lazy. I can't seem to finish the last bit of this painting. heh.

Terry

Kathryn Wilson
09-09-2004, 09:36 PM
You did it Jen! I knew you could do it - it looks wonderful!

My paintings always looked dark when I uploaded to WC - I re-calibrated my monitor and it made a big difference.